Groups

Indian takeaway sweet chilli

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help, perhaps I could actually get some insight from someone in the know. I'm looking to find a decent sweet chilli, preferably the ones used by most indian takeaways. Its mainly sweet but does have a slight kick. I've tried a lot of different ones, from the supermarkets etc but the ones I've tried so far, are either incredibly sweet or loaded with garlic to the extent that its too overpowering.

I do have some access to the cash & carry stores, but I'd rather go in knowing which brand to go for.

I suspect that the ones used in takeaway are not made from scratch.

Any help please?

TIA

11 Comments

try one of the local asain food shops they usually sell 1 litre bottles I don't buy the sweet one buy the extra hot stuff is usually very good and similar to take ones Heera brand is fine

East End Foods Honey Chilli Sauce is very good but a little hard to find.

Where do you live? There are a couple of places in Brum I've seen it sold.

Original Poster

muddassarsardar

try one of the local asain food shops they usually sell 1 litre bottles I … try one of the local asain food shops they usually sell 1 litre bottles I don't buy the sweet one buy the extra hot stuff is usually very good and similar to take ones Heera brand is fine

Thanks for the reply. Not really a fan of the 'normal' hot chilli sauces if I'm honest. A little too sharp for me.

Original Poster

spoo

East End Foods Honey Chilli Sauce is very good but a little hard to … East End Foods Honey Chilli Sauce is very good but a little hard to find.Where do you live? There are a couple of places in Brum I've seen it sold.

Thanks for the reply
    I occasionally travel to Brum, mainly around the Aston area.

lolrita

Thanks for the replyI occasionally travel to Brum, mainly around the … Thanks for the replyI occasionally travel to Brum, mainly around the Aston area.

Tesco in Spring Hill usually sell it in the world foods section, only a few miles from Aston.
    Edited by: "spoo" 19th Sep 2016

Original Poster

spoo

Tesco in Spring Hill usually sell it in the world foods section, only a … Tesco in Spring Hill usually sell it in the world foods section, only a few miles from Aston.

Thanks, I'll buy some next time I'm there.

Vitasia Sweet Chilli sauce from Lidl.

They don't always stock it, just when they have there Indian/Oriental range of foods in every other month, 99p per. bottle, around 750ml or so, I normally stock up when I see it as it's the best of all the ones I've tried.

Have you tried making your own plenty of recipies if you google

Strange Iv Never been to an Indian restaurant that serves 'sweet' chilli
    Have mango chutney that's served with popadoms

Original Poster

andynicol

Vitasia Sweet Chilli sauce from Lidl.They don't always stock it, just … Vitasia Sweet Chilli sauce from Lidl.They don't always stock it, just when they have there Indian/Oriental range of foods in every other month, 99p per. bottle, around 750ml or so, I normally stock up when I see it as it's the best of all the ones I've tried.

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for it, When I was enquiring about something else there once I think from memory they stated that they rotate their specialbuy/offer items every 3 months or so.
    ding

Have you tried making your own plenty of recipies if you google

Thanks, are there any particular ones you've tried. Most of them use a lot of a garlic which I find overpowering. I was looking more for the convenience factor. Laziness also I guess X)

Sandy1012

Strange Iv Never been to an Indian restaurant that serves 'sweet' … Strange Iv Never been to an Indian restaurant that serves 'sweet' chilliHave mango chutney that's served with popadoms

Its more of a takeaway thing I've found as opposed to a restaurant offering. You'd probably also find it in the buffet places. Might even be regional?

Sweet chilli sauce isn't something you'd normally find in an Indian as it's more east Asian (China, Thailand, etc)...

Have you tried asking them which brand it is or if they will sell you a bottle?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"36
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77
      3. I want some backless loafers for men11
      4. I am looking Ryman online discount code33

See more discussions