Induction hob takes a long time to heat pans?

Found 15th Apr 2015
I have recently bought my own property and there is an AEG induction hob fitted. I've bought Russell hobbs pans from argos which state they are suitable for an induction hob. the issue I'm having is it takes around 25 mins for the hob to heat water and that's not even so its boiling. I have read the instruction manual for the hob and I'm using it correctly. having checked the box for the pans is says they are made of aluminium with ceramic coating but does state suitable for induction hob. has anyone experienced this issue with an induction hob or these pans?
Community Updates
AskHobSaucepan
9 Comments
must be steel or iron. it sounds as if you have a mixed metal pan, allowing some heating, but slowly. Good quality stainless steel and it will be as good as gas.
Do you have a lid on the pan, what amount of water? Water does take ages to boil from cold on a hob anyway, that's why you should always boil a kettle of water then pour it into the pan. A pan without a lid could easily take that amount of time to boil if it's fairly big. One of my sisters had an induction hob which drove me mad as you would have your food on a good simmer/boil and the ring would suddenly reach its max temperature then cut it's heat right down. Can you possibly get the instruction manual for the hob via the AEG website and check there?

therealslimkaty

Do you have a lid on the pan, what amount of water? Water does take ages … Do you have a lid on the pan, what amount of water? Water does take ages to boil from cold on a hob anyway, that's why you should always boil a kettle of water then pour it into the pan. A pan without a lid could easily take that amount of time to boil if it's fairly big. One of my sisters had an induction hob which drove me mad as you would have your food on a good simmer/boil and the ring would suddenly reach its max temperature then cut it's heat right down. Can you possibly get the instruction manual for the hob via the AEG website and check there?

think you're confusing induction and ceramic!
for induction to work properly you need a steel or iron pan ideally, aluminium pans if they have some steel in them will work to a degree but only slowly.
Get a magnet and see if it sticks to the bottom of the pan - if it doesn't or is really weak, then they're no good for induction hobs
Edited by: "kjcoolcat" 15th Apr 2015
I have a induction hob and it heats up really quickly, I think you need to change the pans, mine are prestige which were from Argos. I also have a whistling kettle for the hob which heats rapidly even with cold water, it was from Home Sense.
drw

think you're confusing induction and ceramic!

I KNOW that I'm not, lol how insulting. I have a Zanussi cooker with a ceramic hob, my sister had an induction hob with induction pans for it.
My induction hob can beast half a pan of water in a large pot from cold to boiling in about a minute and a half.

Induction hobs need a ferrous material to work.
thanks for the replies all. I tested my pans with a magnet and only the bottom is magnetic so I borrowed a pan from my mum and voila, a pan of boiling water in just over a minute. really peeved off though that the Russell hobbs pans have been advertised as suitable for induction hob when clearly they aren't
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants