Induction hobs and electric ovens

Posted 28th Jul
We are refurbing our kitchen and are considering moving to electric so we can change the layout with less disruption.

We don't know many people with induction hobs and electric ovens and we have always used gas ones. A little worried we won't get used to them, are they as good as gas these days?

Someone also mentioned downdraft hobs that remove the need for an extractor. They aren't cheap (deal suggestions welcome) but are they worth it?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
We're literally about to do the same. Going from gas to induction.
Been digging around on google and there are pros and cons for both.

One question i do have (slightly hijacking your question, sorry) is about the electrical supply cable. Some inducton hobs will run from a normal 13A plug socket, yet if each burner is between 1.5-3kw, that wont work! (3kw @ 230v = 12.5A). Do i need to run a new 6A or even 10A cable to the hob?
Biggest pain when we had induction was having to check every pan carefully to make sure it was one that worked on them. They say they heat up the pan faster which I can't say I noticed a huge difference on. But did the job without issue
Like above said,They heat up quicker, I live at home and have induction but when I get my own house will deffo have gas, you can check pans with a magnet, is they attract it will work on you new induction pot, but depending on how many normal pots you have accumulated if the majority don’t work on the induction could work out expensive swapping pots over especially if you have a fave pot, but I’m Jamaican and we use Dutch pots a lot for cooking which don’t work on the induction but you we have got a tool that you put on on the hob which then allows you to use any pot, I can’t think of the name but it was relatively cheap about 15£ and worth it for the benefit of getting to still use our fave pots, when I remember the name will post a link
Didn’t take much thinking vonhaus.com/vh_…BwE
Here it is but I noticed that it makes the whole job warm not hot but warm but still would say it’s a must have if you have got a induction and your current pans aren’t suitable
bargainlover12328/07/2020 12:10

Didn’t take much thinking h …Didn’t take much thinking https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/19cm-induction-hob-diffuser?utm_content=_dm%7Cpcrid%7C399700328532%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cgrp%7C%7Cproduct%7C1507943%7Cslid%7C%7Cpgrid%7C83300340657%7Cptaid%7Cpla-303105833669&gclid=CjwKCAjwmf_4BRABEiwAGhDfSQmjHkcRlN_X45CfgfnU7MUxUOlL1UBYctJcy7qKFAfdCPqMexbowBoCxjMQAvD_BwEHere it is but I noticed that it makes the whole job warm not hot but warm but still would say it’s a must have if you have got a induction and your current pans aren’t suitable

Interesting, thanks for the link
Gas hob

Electric fan oven

This is the best combination in my eyes
Edited by: "ashmac" 28th Jul
Some people do not like them - I think they are brilliant.

You can't leave it on if you take the pot/pan off as it switches itself off.

It's got a boost mode that will have water boiling probably faster than a kettle.

It's the easiest hob to clean as it doesn't get as hot to touch (it gets hot from the heat generated from the pot/pan)

It does make a not very loud buzzing noise when heating up, but I really only notice this if the room is quiet.

More expensive models do not have a specific element - so you can heat a pot that is placed anywhere on the surface.
Mine doesn’t buzz, I think it can depend on the pans. Stainless steel pans or the hard anodised (e.g. Circulon) pans work fine. I don’t know if it’s any quicker than than equivalent kWh gas hob, but you can set a temperature and a timer, for example 10 mins for pasta.

You can get single camping type induction jobs for £30-40 if you want to try one out to see if you can work with it
Love my cookology induction hob. No noise, super fast heat and easy to clean. I don’t have a fan and have had no problems. I did smash it once but replaced it with same one. Easy to remove and out new one in.
some else asked the same question recently, seems a popular thing to do at the moment!

electric fan assisted ovens are great for getting good cooking results and gas hob likewise. i don't like induction hobs for my own home as i find it takes longer to cook on an induction hob, when compared to a gas hob.

the best arrangement is an electric oven and a gas hob.
mutley128/07/2020 22:21

some else asked the same question recently, seems a popular thing to do at …some else asked the same question recently, seems a popular thing to do at the moment!electric fan assisted ovens are great for getting good cooking results and gas hob likewise. i don't like induction hobs for my own home as i find it takes longer to cook on an induction hob, when compared to a gas hob.the best arrangement is an electric oven and a gas hob.

Sorry but this is just not true. An induction hob gets hot many times quicker than gas.
AngelBomber28/07/2020 22:46

Sorry but this is just not true. An induction hob gets hot many times …Sorry but this is just not true. An induction hob gets hot many times quicker than gas.

maybe it is my imagination, but i find the eggs boil faster on a gas hob compared to an induction hob. that is about the only thing i cook on a hob, lol

oh, i forgot. i also fry eggs on the gas hob. and again i find that the egg fry faster on the gas hob in comparison to an induction hob.
Edited by: "mutley1" 28th Jul
Thanks all for comments so far. I would still go for a gas hob if possible I think. However the new hob will be on an island on the other side of the room to previously, so a bit concerned about the pipe work.

Seems like views on induction ones are quite mixed still, and the ones we've been pointed at with downdraft (built in extractor) are very pricey...
Post a comment
@
    Text