INFO NEEDED ! Freesat

Found 13th Jun
Hi, I have recently purchased a Sharp Smart TV. It has build in free view but from what i have read you need an aerial antenna for that function.

In the past i was using my xbox to stream Skygo etc and this TV does not support some of these apps. In my house i have a sky satellite dish which i think i can use to steam free view channels/

My question is this. What is the better option ?

1) Purchasing an old sky box + viewing card (as apparently you need one to stream free view channels.

or

2) Purchasing a alternative freesat box which is more costly !

Would anyone also know where i can get a couple of meters of sky cable, as the last tennents of the house cut the cable short and wont reach Tv !

Thanks !
Community Updates
AskTV & Video
9 Comments
I use a Sky HD for freesat and it works fine, The only bad thing is that you cant delete the sky channels that you cant access!

You can buy an coaxial extension cable from most diy stores

argos.co.uk/pro…238
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 13th Jun
You may need an f-plug lead (screw in SKY TV box type) ? ; screwfix.com/p/s…644

Re box, I'd suggest a Humax HB-1100s, just got one from eBay refurbished for £60, but there are plenty other options out there for Freesat boxes.
You can get sky cards for £25 from sky for freeview. A new satbox wouldn't need one.

I have a freesat box in the bedroom. And sky downstairs.

Just remember if you have a 2lnb on your dish and get a satbox get one with 2lnb in so you can record 2 programs or watch one while recording another channel
Satellite extension cable at wilkos

They might do the cable on the reels where you cut to whatever length you want. Always handy in there for stuff like that
or put an aerial in the loft. I put this one in mine and get every channel perfectly including the HD ones. £17 plus cable.

screwfix.com/p/l…515
gcmarcal2 h, 3 m ago

I use a Sky HD for freesat and it works fine, The only bad thing is that …I use a Sky HD for freesat and it works fine, The only bad thing is that you cant delete the sky channels that you cant access!You can buy an coaxial extension cable from most diy storeshttp://www.argos.co.uk/product/1084238

Set up your favourites (the channels that you can access) and instead of searching the whole menu search through favourites instead. Only takes a few minutes to do this. Saves me a lot of time when looking through the menu.
MonkeysUncle4 h, 16 m ago

You can get sky cards for £25 from sky for freeview. A new satbox wouldn't …You can get sky cards for £25 from sky for freeview. A new satbox wouldn't need one.I have a freesat box in the bedroom. And sky downstairs. Just remember if you have a 2lnb on your dish and get a satbox get one with 2lnb in so you can record 2 programs or watch one while recording another channel

OP may need to run a second cable from dish to box though....
Why can’t you just plug Xbox into new tv and use that way.

You you can buy an open box freesat receiver on eBay for less than £30 brand new, just plug sat cable in and you will get all the freesat channels.

ebay.co.uk/itm…ba6

hope that helps
Bargainhead10 h, 26 m ago

Why can’t you just plug Xbox into new tv and use that way. You you can buy …Why can’t you just plug Xbox into new tv and use that way. You you can buy an open box freesat receiver on eBay for less than £30 brand new, just plug sat cable in and you will get all the freesat channels.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-OPENBOX-V9S-HD-Freesat-Smart-TV-Satellite-Receiver-Box-For-OPENBOX-NEW/123044101030?hash=item1ca5fffba6hope that helps

I lent my GF my xbox so she can watch all the same stuff she watched at her previous house until i get the freesat installed. Would like it back at some stage
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants