Groups

Info on banks

Hi two years ago my x hubby left me n the kids but left us with loads of debt. My question is I rang the bank today to pay off an overdraft he had left me with totally over 3k. They found mydetails on the system but no totals. They even checked old archive files. They rang back to advise me to go into the local branch to see if they have any info on the debt. What would you do? I'm tempted to wait and see if they send me a letter demanding the money as they have no records only my name and address which could be on file due to having had an account with them. My x I suppose could have paid it but I seriously doubt it. Any ideas?

9 Comments

Wait it out

go in to your local branch, if they have no record of what you owe they can't take any money of you.
    best to get it sorted rather than do nothing then have it bite you on the bum when your not expecting it, at least if you go in you know it's sorted and you can rest easy.

its likely that the sold the debt off to an agency although they should still have records

juiceblaster;7088516

go in to your local branch, if they have no record of what you owe they … go in to your local branch, if they have no record of what you owe they can't take any money of you.best to get it sorted rather than do nothing then have it bite you on the bum when your not expecting it, at least if you go in you know it's sorted and you can rest easy.

^^what juicy said^^
    They're onto it now so you may as well go in, at least you'll know where you stand. If they find the records they'll know how much. If they can't find them then they can't just guess so I suppose it's happy days!

Get a free experian account and check if debt is in existence. Remember to cancel before the month is out.

tonyd19565;7089595

Get a free experian account and check if debt is in existence. Remember … Get a free experian account and check if debt is in existence. Remember to cancel before the month is out.

Best advice.

If it does not show on there you are scott free.

Was it a joint account or individual. If individual, debt would be his liability.

gog5y;7088526

its likely that the sold the debt off to an agency although they should … its likely that the sold the debt off to an agency although they should still have records

If they cant find records dont worry as if you ask for a copy of your credit aggreement and they fail to provide it within a certain amount of time, debt is no longer! And will be written off.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Was a joint account. Will defo get an experian report must admit I need to know what's on it anyway as he's ruined my credit rating. Thanx guys maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do these 2 men have in common1218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…34
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio79
      4. Any Xbox One news today?2356127

See more discussions