Groups

Info on septic tank and oil fired central heating needed

My partner and I are looking to buy our first house and we've found a lovely one in the middle fo nowehere, with a septic tank and oil fired heating.

Neither of us has a clue bout these. How often do you have to get a septic tank emptied, how expensive is it, do you get a rebate on your council tax as your not disposing of sewage in usual way?

With oil fired heating, is this more expensive than the oncventional way? If so how much?

Any hints or tips would be highly appreciated and rep forthcoming!!

11 Comments

If you are only oil user in an area, have heard that its more expensive for deliveries. More cost effective if you can club with others for delivery purposes. Also need to ensure that your oil personal tank is secure as have been increasing numbers of oil tanks being emptied whilst homeowners are away from their properties.

Banned

there was a post 2 days 9 hours ago called `what is your winter gas bill` in it somebody writes about his oil fired heating. : ) in misc

we have oil heating - granted we are not in the middle of no wher e- but it used to be loads cheaper than gas - still is a bit cheaper - but not such a big difference now - can the estate agent help?

Septic tank halves your water bill. Oil is quite cheap last time I looked depends on efficency of boiler/ heating system

should'nt need to empty a septic tank if you have the right bacteria going.
    my mate said to through in a dead cat (serious).

We have both - never known the septic tank to need emptying, but I think sometimes they can get clogged and need dealing with especially if women put things they shouldn't down the loo which don't decompose. 1,000 litres of oil cost £523 today and will tast 3 months in the cold weather (old & drafty 4 bed large detached house) - that's the boiler (central heating) and aga (food and hot water). Prices fluctuate considerably in line with worldwide oil prices so good timing is something that can save you a fair amount of money. Boiler Juice and Directoil.co.uk will give quotations online. The new cavity wall and loft insulation has made a bit of a difference though, definately worth looking into.
    If I was you I'd probably ask the current vendors about it and see what they say.

Original Poster

hughwp;7535628

Septic tank halves your water bill. Oil is quite cheap last time I looked … Septic tank halves your water bill. Oil is quite cheap last time I looked depends on efficency of boiler/ heating system

In Scotland our water is included in our council tax, it's a set charge no matter how much you use, so I wondered if the council would give me a discount as we're not using their sewage system.

sickly sweet;7535805

We have both - never known the septic tank to need emptying, but I think … We have both - never known the septic tank to need emptying, but I think sometimes they can get clogged and need dealing with especially if women put things they shouldn't down the loo which don't decompose. 1,000 litres of oil cost £523 today and will tast 3 months in the cold weather (old & drafty 4 bed large detached house) - that's the boiler (central heating) and aga (food and hot water). Prices fluctuate considerably in line with worldwide oil prices so good timing is something that can save you a fair amount of money. Boiler Juice and Directoil.co.uk will give quotations online. The new cavity wall and loft insulation has made a bit of a difference though, definately worth looking into.If I was you I'd probably ask the current vendors about it and see what they say.

Thanks very much for the info. Very helpful!

And thanks to everyone, have a clearer pic now of costs etc. Thanks all!

Oil is a lot cheaper than gas, i work in the oil industry, servicing, repairing and fititng oil boilers and you wouldn't belive the amount of gas boilers we are taking out to replace with oil boilers due to the gas bills people are getting.

as someone has said, just make sure you lock your oil tank as thefts of oil are going up and up

My mother has oil heating and uses boilerjuice.com to order her oil. They look for the best deal in you area, she has found them really good and very helpful - with excellent comms (she is in her 80s and they are always v considerate and tell the drivers to WAIT while she gets to the door as she doesn't move v fast!). You can go online and get a quote for oil in your postcode. They also have buying weekends where they put together all orders from post code and you all get a discount.

Bear in mind that there is usually a minimum order amount to get free delivery of oil, usually 1,000 litres, and you have to pay for it when they deliver it so that can be quite a big chunk of money. It can also be messy in the boiler cupboard (you end up with a fine film of oil over everything) and a bit smelly near the tank especially when it vents oil smell in the summer - fine if you have a massive garden, not so good if you have a small garden & can smell it when you are sitting out there!

Check where the tank is too - can you easily get the pipe from where the tanker is going to be to the tank to actually get the oil into it? They won't take the pipe over walls, or through a house, so check there is clear access.

Does the tank look in good condition? Has the boiler been serviced every year? If not, get the vendor to get it checked out.

Oil prices vary all the time (if petrol prices go up, so will your heating oil price) - ask the vendors how much oil they usually order and how long it lasts. How much is left in the tank at the property? If there's loads, they may try to charge you an added amount for it ...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1231
      2. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      3. Easyjet - book now or wait?813
      4. Kitchen tap replacement33

See more discussions