Information regarding Speed limit on a National Speed limited single carrage way roads (basically was I in the wrong?)

Found 23rd FebEdited by:"darthbacca37"
Hi All,

I may have been in the wrong this morning but looking for some clarification.

So There is 2 single carriage way roads with a roundabout splitting them in the middle. They both have National speed limit signs up and both roads are pretty much straight too. However, on quite a few occasions cars seem to go 40 MPH and not 60 MPH even when the road is empty.

I always thought you need to go at least the speed limit of the road or is it different rules apply on National Speed limited roads?

So Basically the scenario this morning:

I came off the roundabout onto the National Speed limit road and caught up to a Taxi, at first, only doing 30 MPH. Then it went a little bit faster only to 40 MPH. Now I may have provoked him a little (I was giving the car a little bit more of a rev to say "come on mate, go to 60"). Then he Slammed on his breaks to almost a stand still (now im angry). So I flashed my light at him and this time with a hand gesture of say "go 60, go 60!". This went on all the way to the 30 MPH section to where I slowed down (he sped up ironically).

I know provoking him wasn't the correct thing to do (I really do hate driving) but, should he have been going 60 or going 40 is ok?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The speed limit is a LIMIT not a TARGET.
Unfortunately the words 'bell and end' spring to mind, and I'm not necessarily talking about the taxi driver.
I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the Highway code , basic driving knowledge etc . Earlier this week a poster asked if it was OK to do 40 mph in a 30 mph limit to overtake ! .

Are there serious failings in both parts of the driving test these days or does HUKD have more than its fair share of clueless drivers ?
I would consider 40 a low speed but not unreasonably so. Flashing your lights an revving behind him I would consider unreasonable and unacceptable behaviour.
59 Comments
CoolShelly23rd Feb

so he could have been going 10 MPH? is there a minimum perhaps? 30 maybe?
Edited by: "darthbacca37" 23rd Feb
If I got into a rage every time when driving behind someone going far less than the limit then I'd give myself a stress induced heart attack/aneurism.
Just say to yourself "b*llend" when you pass them or they turn off and you'll feel much better about it.

I think I've heard of police pulling someone over for being a hazard by driving too slowly, from memory it was ridiculous though, like 20 on a motorway.
I always thought you need to go at least the speed limit of the road

speed limit is not a target but driving too slow is also illegal.
i would consider going 40 on a 60 road especially when it is empty is illegal.
you dont see people driving 50 on a 70

but yes 90% of drivers are idiots who dont know basic road signs
Edited by: "mattsk" 23rd Feb
Limit = minimum....... 🤔
Nonsense what f your car can’t even do 40? There is no lower speed limit. 40
Is acceptable on a dual
Carriage way. Did he have passengers?
I think the OP should find the Taxi driver and eat a large slice of humble pie . There's a clue in the phrase "Speed Limit" . Please OP find a driving instructor and have a long chat about your misunderstanding of basic driving facts How you managed to pass your test beggars belief .
mattsk7 m ago

driving too slow is also illegal

Would love for you to show me that law and what it defines "too slow" ...
Sounds like you encountered a moron who wanted to police the road, the next time he tries brake checking someone I hope its a big truck.

Maybe learn to be more patient OP, sit back crank up your music, its not worth the hassle dealing with the zombies on the road.
mattsk12 m ago

speed limit is not a target but driving too slow is also illegal.i would …speed limit is not a target but driving too slow is also illegal.i would consider going 40 on a 60 road especially when it is empty is illegal.you dont see people driving 50 on a 70but yes 90% of drivers are idiots who dont know basic road signs

Fortunately what you consider illegal isn't written in legislation. Your opinion is just that; opinion. Not law.

There is no legislation in the UK that stipulates a minimum speed. There are minimum speed limit signs (a blue circle with the speed inside) which can be used in a temporary situation - to aid congestion for example - but they aren't very common.

Driving too slow may be something that the Police consider to be reportable under other parts of legislation if driving at such a speed was hazardous to others - due care, reasonable consideration etc.
You should be lucky he did this so you have become aware of the rules. How somebody can drive on the road without knowing the absolute basics is beyond me. You may be angry at him, but I assume as you didnt know a speed limit was a maximum, then you have been speeding all along. You should be lucky he has helped you become educated and prevent hefty fines and points.
I would consider 40 a low speed but not unreasonably so. Flashing your lights an revving behind him I would consider unreasonable and unacceptable behaviour.
Unfortunately the words 'bell and end' spring to mind, and I'm not necessarily talking about the taxi driver.
I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the Highway code , basic driving knowledge etc . Earlier this week a poster asked if it was OK to do 40 mph in a 30 mph limit to overtake ! .

Are there serious failings in both parts of the driving test these days or does HUKD have more than its fair share of clueless drivers ?
rogparki6 m ago

I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the …I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the Highway code , basic driving knowledge etc . Earlier this week a poster asked if it was OK to do 40 mph in a 30 mph limit to overtake ! .Are there serious failings in both parts of the driving test these days or does HUKD have more than its fair share of clueless drivers ?

I thought it was the same OP for a minute, these could be genuine questions but could also just as easily be wind up threads, hard to tell on here sometimes. They always get good biters anyway, op will need the big net today.
rogparki9 m ago

I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the …I'm seriously worried about how uneducated some drivers are about the Highway code , basic driving knowledge etc . Earlier this week a poster asked if it was OK to do 40 mph in a 30 mph limit to overtake ! .Are there serious failings in both parts of the driving test these days or does HUKD have more than its fair share of clueless drivers ?

I honestly believe it's society in general, or at least a large part (not necessarily all) of the younger generation who are so used to getting their own way and being pampered too. They seem to think themselves exempt from being included in the way everyone else has to abide by the rules, and can't understand why they can't have everything their own way.
What's the hand gesture for "go 60, go 60!"?
Van19732 m ago

What's the hand gesture for "go 60, go 60!"?

I think you firm a ring between your thumb and second finger and shake it up and down 60 times....
mrty2 m ago

I think you firm a ring between your thumb and second finger and shake it …I think you firm a ring between your thumb and second finger and shake it up and down 60 times....

That's what the taxi driver showed the Op... strangely enough I agree with him.

In this case Op is both ignorant and a bully. I wish him luck when he reaches puberty.
mattsk50 m ago

speed limit is not a target but driving too slow is also illegal.i would …speed limit is not a target but driving too slow is also illegal.i would consider going 40 on a 60 road especially when it is empty is illegal.you dont see people driving 50 on a 70but yes 90% of drivers are idiots who dont know basic road signs

Not the brightest of comments when most lorries are limited at 52-55 mph .
Richard_Richard24 m ago

I thought it was the same OP for a minute, these could be genuine …I thought it was the same OP for a minute, these could be genuine questions but could also just as easily be wind up threads, hard to tell on here sometimes. They always get good biters anyway, op will need the big net today.

Honesty, It was a legit question

I absolute hate driving but it is a necessity in order to get to work. If I could get to work in a similar time via public transport, I would.

When I do drive, I always go the limit. I go 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 etc. and I know National Speed limit is 60 on a single carriage way. SO when I hit this road, I go 60 and when someone else isnt going the limit, im frustrated (and usually already been driving an hour at this point too).

Im just gonna have to your advice mixed with DKLS advice too: Just try and calm down, crank the music up and shout at them my head
Edited by: "darthbacca37" 23rd Feb
RossD8954 m ago

It'll be classed as dangerous or careless driving, but what defines that is down to police officers opinion i guess. i.e 30 on a motorway would quite clearly be classed as this

rac.co.uk/dri…ts/

Although there isn’t an official minimum speed limit on most motorways, travelling too slowly can be considered dangerous and you might attract the attention of the police.

In this case, you’d usually be let off after a verbal warning, but you could be prosecuted for careless driving.

Same would be applied to other roads i.e. 20 in a 60 probably..
Edited by: "winifer" 23rd Feb
You can fail the driving test for going too slowly for the current road conditions. It is called 'failure to make progress'.
Logical really, if you choose to drive at a speed that is markedly different from the expected norm on a particular road, you become just another road hazard to be avoided.
This doesn't put the OP in the right, of course. 40 in a 60 zone is not exceptional on a single cariageway.
Edited by: "airbus330" 23rd Feb
@darthvader666uk OP I hope you are taking notice of all comments and not ignoring the important realisation. Speed LIMIT is exactly that, it is not a minimum.

'limit
noun
a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass.'

Please everyone drive safely and knowledgeably
As others have said, the speed limit is exactly that - a limit. However, in your example, if the taxi driver was someone taking his test he could actually have failed it. Daughter of a friend of mine did exactly the same but she failed because she wasn't driving to the right speed of the road and (and this is the crucial part) she was holding someone else up who did want to drive at a faster speed whilst keeping within the speed limit.

It's a very grey area, morally I guess you're both in the wrong. But it seems typical of an awful lot of drivers on the road these days - I'll do what I want and I don't care whatsoever how my actions affect anybody else.
darthbacca3723rd Feb

Honesty, It was a legit question I absolute hate driving but it is a …Honesty, It was a legit question I absolute hate driving but it is a necessity in order to get to work. If I could get to work in a similar time via public transport, I would.When I do drive, I always go the limit. I go 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 etc. and I know National Speed limit is 60 on a single carriage way. SO when I hit this road, I go 60 and when someone else isnt going the limit, im frustrated (and usually already been driving an hour at this point too).Im just gonna have to your advice mixed with DKLS advice too: Just try and calm down, crank the music up and shout at them my head

The speed limit is a Limit not to exceed - full stop . Good driving is driving according to the traffic , leaving plenty of distance to the vehicle you are following - its not a race !

If you are driving on a narrow unrestricted country lane you would rarely do 60mph (although it would be legal ) - there might be a tractor round the next bend .

Drive the road conditions and you may actually find you get to enjoy driving and become less of a danger to yourself and other road users .
When learning to drive which was only a few years ago, going into a national speed area you must show acceleration.
Yes 30mph is too slow for that stretch, but I always ask myself why is he going 30mph - he might be talking back to his cab firm and the road may not have his full undivided attention so has slowed down?
Edited by: "geojo" 23rd Feb
If you drive an Audi or BMW then you can assume that normal highway code doesn't apply, you're extra special.
rogparki1 h, 6 m ago

If you are driving on a narrow unrestricted country lane you would rarely …If you are driving on a narrow unrestricted country lane you would rarely do 60mph (although it would be legal ) - there might be a tractor round the next bend

Not just lanes either, some of the B-roads that are the main link between villages around here would quickly kill you if you tried to maintain a high fifties average.

Without knowing the road in question it's hard to give a reason, but if multiple cars do it then it certainly sounds like they're exercising reasonable caution and it's your driving that's reckless.
mrty2 h, 35 m ago

That's what the taxi driver showed the Op... strangely enough I agree with …That's what the taxi driver showed the Op... strangely enough I agree with him.In this case Op is both ignorant and a bully. I wish him luck when he reaches puberty.

And remember that national speed limits are different depending on what vehicle your driving so dont be giving hand gestures to lgv drivers if they are only going 50 on a single carridgeway its their speed limit
ding2 m ago

And remember that national speed limits are different depending on what …And remember that national speed limits are different depending on what vehicle your driving so dont be giving hand gestures to lgv drivers if they are only going 50 on a single carridgeway its their speed limit

Or anyone towing a trailer or caravan.
It bugs me too when people do that. Yes you shouldn't have flashed or revved the engine like a yob, but I understand your frustration.

It is what it is, but it is annoying that they go 40mph in a national speed limit road and then continue to do that 40mph in a 30...like wtf?
I haven't read all the comments but those that I have just go to show how many people there are on the roads who shouldn't be. The signs are there to show the MAXIMUM SPEED allowed not that you have to drive at that speed. So those who think differently please hand your licence back to the DVLA because you are an accident waiting to happen and some poor innocent person is going to get hurt or killed by you.
Surely the op is just a troll?. Travelling at the speed "limit" can be dangerous in some situations, Driving too slowly can be a hazard to other drivers but 40 in a 60 is hardly too slow to be considered a hazard, You could probably have easily overtaken them when it was safe to do so, No need to act like a bell.
CoolShelly23rd Feb

Or a challenge !
RossD895 h, 34 m ago

It is called careless driving. There is no true definition of what the limit is. However if you are driving a vehicle, that is capable of dealing with the conditions and limits. If you unreasonably don’t follow the recommended signage. You can be stopped.
All drivers are expected to be able to drive to a certain standard. If they are unable to maintain that standard, they can be prosecuted. 30 in a 60, on a straight road with no other detrimental conditions could be deemed failing to meet the standard. It could be an indication of failing eyesight, confidence, substance abuse, etc.
I would be interested to know what the OP thinks the speed limit is on this section of road! 33316494-aYrcF.jpg
No one bothered to wonder if the taxi had a space saver tyre on or if it was in limp mode. I've driven with both and it's not fun. Hindsight is terrible because you end up feeling ashamed a lot by your actions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants