Groups

Injuries reported following footbridge collapse over UK motorway (M20)

Editor
    Doesn't look good

Emergency services closed a stretch of the M20 motorway between London and Dover in England's southeast after a footbridge collapsed onto a truck. Police say one person is being treated for "non-life-threatening injuries."

13 Comments

Hope nobody was walking across the bridge at the time

msmyth

Emergency services closed a stretch of the M20 motorway between London … Emergency services closed a stretch of the M20 motorway between London and Dover in England's southeast...

Rather than the M20 between London & Dover in any other compass point direction of England.

summerof76

Hope nobody was walking across the bridge at the time

[ bbc.co.uk/new…050 ]
    ---
    ...Emergency crews were called to the scene on the London-bound carriageway at about 12:10 BST.

South East Coast Ambulance Service tweeted that a motorcyclist in his 50s had been taken by ambulance to Tunbridge Wells Hospital with suspected broken ribs after the bridge collapsed.

A spokeswoman for Kent Police said: "It is believed a lorry collided with a pedestrian bridge which has collapsed onto the carriageway below."

She added: "No people are believed to be trapped in the debris, however one person is believed to have suffered injuries, not reported to be life-threatening at this time."
    ---

i'm no Hercule Poirot but the lorry in the far left lane has a digger on the back that may have something to do with this (_;)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq38A3mWEAAsO1b.jpg

Banned

not sure how busy this motorway is but I'm happy it wasn't rush hour

DarkEnergy2012

i'm no Hercule Poirot but the lorry in the far left lane has a digger on … i'm no Hercule Poirot but the lorry in the far left lane has a digger on the back that may have something to do with this (_;)

To knock a bridge down, no way that digger would still be sitting on the trailer.
    I reckon the bridge had actually semi collapsed and the rig in the middle skelped it. It's lost it's roof but not trailer rear doors.

There are scaffold poles and blue netting attached to the half of the bridge that did not collapse, so it looks as though construction work had been taking place to the bridge. I wonder if that's relevant.

Banned

Oneday77

To knock a bridge down, no way that digger would still be sitting on the … To knock a bridge down, no way that digger would still be sitting on the trailer.

The M20 in Kent is expected to reopen on Sunday afternoon after a digger … The M20 in Kent is expected to reopen on Sunday afternoon after a digger on the back of a lorry hit a footbridge and caused it to collapse.

i hate being right all the time X)
    http://bon.se/app/uploads/2013/02/PICTURE1smugcat.jpg

Banned

DarkEnergy2012

The only way you can work out what happened is if you get the photos in order. They were published not in order. IE one of the first showed the totally collapsed part that had been removed off the vehicles & dumped towards the other carriageway which mostly the artic pushed it (well done)
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 28th Aug 2016

DarkEnergy2012

DarkEnergy2012

The same information was in my comment posted an hour before your own.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3361211
      2. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…89
      3. What is there free to do in your town?1523
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…2044

See more discussions