Innacurate Ebay Description

Found 9th Mar 2009
I bought a tmobile G1 phone on ebay.
This is the item number: 220370765408

I received the phone this morning and the phone seems to be in good condition apart from some scuffs across the bottom of the phone.
I expected a brand new phone though, sealed in its box as the auction stated the item was : "Brand New in a Box and its still sealed."

What should I do?
I am happy to accept the phone but would like a partial refund.
Is this unreasonable?
What do you think?

25 Comments

Contact the seller, explain item not as described, ask for a partial refund of what you think is fair.

Looking at the seller, you were lucky to get the phone at all O feedback, risky.

As Ginner says,in the first instance always contact the seller BEFORE a paypal dispute.

Ginner;4593075

Looking at the seller, you were lucky to get the phone at all O feedback, … Looking at the seller, you were lucky to get the phone at all O feedback, risky.

Indeed,175 quid to a seller with no feedback,braver than i am:w00t:

deb8z;4593077

As Ginner says,in the first instance always contact the seller BEFORE a … As Ginner says,in the first instance always contact the seller BEFORE a paypal dispute.

If the box was indeed sealed the seller may not have been aware of the marks on the phone, so don't go in guns blazing just explain and make an offer of an amount, they may ask you to return the phone and cancel the sale.
If that happens send it back signed for.

Item Condition
Items described as "new" or "used" help buyers and sellers understand more about item listings.

Guideline for describing an item's condition as "new"
An item can be listed as new if it's unused, fully functional and has no signs of damage or wear.
Tip
The guideline is generally, but not always, applicable when determining an item's condition. Sellers should always be as specific as possible when describing items as it will encourage prospective buyers.

To improve your listings you could:

State whether or not the item will be posted in its original packaging, and if it has ever been opened.
List all manuals, accessories and additional documents that will be dispatched with the item.
State the item's model year, series, season or edition.
Note if the item has a valid warranty that can be passed on to the buyer.
Let the buyer know if the item has been exhibited in a shop or show, or has been used to demonstrate a product.
Note if the item has an expiry date.
Explain whether shop tags are still attached (for example, in Clothes, Shoes & Accessories).
List any certificates that will be provided with the item (for example, in Jewellery & Watches).

Buyers should read the item description carefully. If you have questions, please contact the seller and ask for additional details

The seller is clueless if they sent it RD and not SD, it wasn't even insured.

If he sent it normal delivery then he's lucky you received it, because if you hadn't paypal would have found in your favour and refunded you the money as he wouldn't have been able to prove he posted it. Seller would then have to get his money back from RM.

ChipSticks;4593258

If he sent it normal delivery then he's lucky you received it, because if … If he sent it normal delivery then he's lucky you received it, because if you hadn't paypal would have found in your favour and refunded you the money as he wouldn't have been able to prove he posted it. Seller would then have to get his money back from RM.

A new seller, they will get stung eventually, makes for a valuable lesson learned, hope they get wise soon.
And hopes Op gets the outcome they want.

Original Poster

Ginner;4593094

If the box was indeed sealed the seller may not have been aware of the … If the box was indeed sealed the seller may not have been aware of the marks on the phone, so don't go in guns blazing just explain and make an offer of an amount, they may ask you to return the phone and cancel the sale.If that happens send it back signed for.

The box wasn't sealed, the seal was clearly cut open. Quite roughly cut I might add!. I have asked for £7-10 back. We'll see how it goes. :roll:

Original Poster

EDIT: Woops double post!

amzmalhotra;4593304

The box wasn't sealed, the seal was clearly cut open. Quite roughly cut I … The box wasn't sealed, the seal was clearly cut open. Quite roughly cut I might add!. I have asked for £7-10 back. We'll see how it goes. :roll:

You are cheap - if I bought a 'new' phone and received one with marks I would be seriously peeved

Mrs.Z;4593338

You are cheap - if I bought a 'new' phone and received one with marks I … You are cheap - if I bought a 'new' phone and received one with marks I would be seriously peeved

+1 - I think I'd have asked for 20% back!

littletiger;4593408

+1 - I think I'd have asked for 20% back!

I don't even think I would ask for a partial refund, to pay so much money to a zero rater is just asking for it - and for a mobile phone? I would worry what else I don't know about it :thinking:

amzmalhotra;4593304

The box wasn't sealed, the seal was clearly cut open. Quite roughly cut I … The box wasn't sealed, the seal was clearly cut open. Quite roughly cut I might add!. I have asked for £7-10 back. We'll see how it goes. :roll:

Your seller described it as new and sealed, this may be newbie ignorance but I doubt it.
Have a look at what a second hand one is selling for and offer them that, by way of a partial refund.

I personally would ask for a full refund...not as described.

Hope its not stolen:w00t:

I don't know much about this phone but check this listing out.........Item number: 220367342392
either he had two for sale or maybe that one was returned and he mistakenly relisted and forgot to delete the new in box on the listing. whatever the reason there is a big difference in the final price of the two phones.
I would be looking for a £40-£50 reduction for a used/damaged phone.

deb8z;4593487

Hope its not stolen:w00t:

Agreed. It would be worth checking that the IMEI of the phone matches that on the box. You can do this by inputting *#06# when the phone is switched on. If the IMEI on the phone and the one given on the box don't match, I would start to be seriously concerned that it was stolen.

The Fox;4593936

I don't know much about this phone but check this listing … I don't know much about this phone but check this listing out.........Item number: 220367342392either he had two for sale or maybe that one was returned and he mistakenly relisted and forgot to delete the new in box on the listing. whatever the reason there is a big difference in the final price of the two phones.I would be looking for a £40-£50 reduction for a used/damaged phone.

Phone listings attract scammers,thats what happened with the first listing and why it sold for over 800 quid and why the "buyer" is now NARU

tinkerbell28;4595988

Or they are putting through an inurance claim on it which will see it … Or they are putting through an inurance claim on it which will see it blocked :w00t: Speak to the seller before a dispute, but as debs said very brave for a newbie seller! I would of sent it back tbh.

Yep,i never thought of that one tinkerbell:w00t:

7-10 pound back on a used,damaged item you paid £175 for(if i read this thread correctly)?jeez-i wouldve been looking a lot more back than that...

Original Poster

I sent another message last night after reading all your replies, saying that I would prefer around £18- £20 back as I had found some more hairline scratches.
He sent a message at about lunchtime today saying:

Hi,I believe that T-Mobile do from time to time issue handsets that are … Hi,I believe that T-Mobile do from time to time issue handsets that are refitted. I would be happy to refund you 20 pounds. This seeems like the most sensible way to manage it. How would you like to go about this?Kind regards,********

I am happy with this result although Im sure some of you would have blagged more! Im getting 10% back effectively and the second hand phones themselves go for more usually on ebay, so I could sell it if I wanted to.

The guy seems genuine enough although the blaming tmobile line above seems a bit dubious as he would definately have known that the box wasnt sealed when he posted it as there is a huge tear in the sealing sticker that I didnt make!.

Anywho.....
How would I go about getting this partial refund? can you advise me what process to go through?

£155 for a G1. cant complain at that. thats cheap.

shanecr;4602739

£155 for a G1. cant complain at that. thats cheap.

Exactly,if its too good to be true!! etc etc

The seller was very accomodating & refunded without a 2nd thought,hmmm

I would heed tinkerbells advice,i'm a wuss though,i would never have bought it from a seller with no feedback to start with but as the seal is broken as well i'd be worried and would have just sent it back incase future problems arise.

Good luck though.
Post a comment
@
    Text