Innotab 2 no longer plays Xvid video's! here's the fix. firmware June 2013!

Found 16th Jul 2013
Hi, since Vtech updated the latest firmware in June 2013 the Innotab 2 can no longer play avi's with the xvids codec! You have to use the H.264 codec instead.

So the chances are that if you have recently updated the firmware by plugging the innotab 2 into your pc then none of the video's will play. My kids have dvd's converted onto the innotab and also video's from youtube.

I have searched the internet and tried many different ways to fix it and eventually found one that works, thanks to NiVZ on moneysavingexpert:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…295

You can also add thumbnails to the video's if your kids can't read yet!

These instructions convert videos to use H.264 video at 600kbps and MP3 audio at 96kbps as specified in InnoTab 2 User Manual.

IMPORTANT: There is a bug in the iPod preset in the latest version of avidemux.
You must use avidemux 2.5.6 from here:
sourceforge.net/pro….6/

or here

filehippo.com/dow…51/

How To Convert
1. Open AVIDemux
2. Click 'File' -> 'Open'
3. Browse and choose your video file and click 'Open'
You may see some of the following questions depending on the video source you are converting:

- 'H264 detected, Do you want to use that mode?' click 'No'
- 'This looks like MPEG, Do you want to index it? Click 'Yes'

4. Click to change the 'Video' dropdown from 'Copy' to 'MPEG-4 AVC'
5. Click the 'Configure' button in the Video section
6. Click to change the 'Configuration' dropdown from '' to 'Apple iPod'
7. Click to change the 'Encoding Mode' from 'Average Bitrate (Two Pass)' to 'Constant Bitrate (Single Pass)'
8. Click OK
9. Click the 'Filters' button in the Video section
10. Double click 'MPlayer Resize'
11. Ensure 'Lock aspect ratio' is ticked and set the width to 480 (this is easiest unless you are confident at calculating aspect ratio and cropping, see end of article)
12. Click OK
13. Click 'Close'
14. Click to change the 'Audio' dropdown from 'Copy' to 'MP3 (lame)
15. Click the 'Configure' button in the Audio section
16. Click to change the 'Bitrate' dropdown from '128' to '96'
17. Click OK
18. Click 'Filters'
19. Click to change the 'Mixer' dropdown from 'No change' to 'Stereo'
20. Tick the 'Resampling (Hz)' box and change the value to '44100'
21. Tick the 'Dynamic Range Compression' box
22. (Optional) You can use the 'Gain' section to boost the audio volume by changing 'Gain Mode' dropdown from 'None' to 'Automatic (-3db)' (or using 'Gain Value' to specify your own value) see end of article
23. Click OK
24. Click 'File' -> 'Save' -> 'Save Video'
25. Browse to where you want to save and give the file a name and click 'Save'

Remember to use the file extension .avi at the end of your file name!

26. Wait for the video to convert then click OK.
The video file can now be copied to your Innotab using Learning Lodge Navigator, by connecting the Innotab in USB mode or by removing the SD card and connecting it directly to your PC card reader.

Output File Sizes
Using this method each video will use approx 4.5mb per 1 min, so a 90 min film will use 410Mb. You can adjust this by clicking the 'Configure' button in the Video section and setting the Bitrate value lower than '600' (at step 7) but this will make the picture look 'blockier'. I've found the best balance of quality to filesize is 350kbps and wouldn't recommend setting it lower than that. See the approximate bitrate to filesize for a 90 min video below:

350kbps -> 290mb
400kbps -> 315mb
450kbps -> 340mb
600kbps -> 450mb

Aspect Ratio and Cropping

For 4:3 (Square Screen)
If you want to make this fill the screen, choose the WIDTH to be 480 (the height will then be more than 272)
Once you click OK, note the size in the 'Active Filter sections' after the '-->' eg 480 x 300
Then add the crop filter and crop some pixels from the TOP and BOTTOM until the HEIGHT is 272, eg 300 would mean you need to crop 18 pixels so I would do 8 from top and 10 from bottom (since it has to be even number) and click OK

For 1.78 or 2.35 (Widescreen)
If you want to make this fill the screen, choose the HEIGHT to be 272 (the width will be more than 480)
Once you click OK, note the size in the 'Active Filter sections' after the '-->' eg 500 x 272
Then add the crop filter and crop some pixels from the LEFT and RIGHT until the WIDTH is 480, eg 500 would mean you need to crop 20 pixels so I would do 10 from the left and 10 from the right
again has to be even number)

For DVDs
For DVD video it is easiest to untick 'Lock Aspect Ratio', set width to 480 and click OK, then use the 'Preview' button to check how the picture will look. Double click the 'MPlayer resize' under the 'Active Filters' section in the right hand window and adjust the height and preview again. Repeat until you get the picture to look right (ie not squashed or stretched)

Audio
If the audio on the converted video is too quiet you can use the manual gain and a value from 0.00 to 10.00. I'd try 5.00 first and then either increase or decrease after testing on the Innotab. You might also want to tick the 'Dynamic Range Compression' to make the quiet parts louder and the loud parts quieter.

1. Misc
  2. Innotab
36 Comments

OMG thank you so much for this, my twins can now watch movies again. Why the hell would VTech decide to change something like that. They have probably annoyed a lot of people. The thumbnail editor is great too as my twins are only 3 so rely heavily on pictures, otherwise i get....mum can you find this for me, mum can you find that for me!
Thanks again.

i need help - how do you convert youtube to innotab 2?

Original Poster

hi, first you need to save the video file on your computer from youtube. depending on which browser you use you can get free video capturing software. I use Firefox internet browser and an add on to capture the video. this then captures the video and saves it to your pc. you can then convert it as above so it plays on the innotab 2. job done!

So raging right now, got everything sorted and got lots of videos on my nieces innotab for xmas. Then plugged it in and it said update and now they don't work.
Going to have to do it all again.
Furious!

Original Poster

let me know if you need any help and yeh, its frustrating!

I HATE VTech!!
I can't work out for the life of me which file to select from the DVD. When I pick the biggest one(s), it asks to index it, which I say YES, then "There is several mpeg file, append them?" and both YES and NO gives the answer that it cannot open the file.
What am I doing wrong please?
I have tried so many different instructions, I am losing the will to live!!!
Thank you in advance :-D

hi there,
its converting youtube shorter length videos without problem.but larger videos about 30 minutes length always crash at the end.so having trouble.pls could anyone help to convert larger voulume vidoes

jammiev

let me know if you need any help and yeh, its frustrating!

I'm attempting it again tonight, complained to innotab and they told me to call them and they'd talk me through it, why can't they just put up a step by step instruction like you have? Why make such a ridiculous change to the innotab in the first place?
Thanks for the guide, i'll be back in an hour to cry all over the thread if it doesn't work for me :P

UPDATE
I got 1 to work, i think the issue was i wasn't naming it .avi, it's taking ages to do but at least i got there in the end.
Thanks so much!
Edited by: "jade1708" 18th Dec 2013

trying this now on my sons innotab 3

presume it should be ok??

Edit - just tried a music video to test and works....but the video seems to look like its in slow motion...sound is ok though.

Any ideas how to fix?
Edited by: "onezeon" 19th Dec 2013

Ok films seem to work ok...but how do I select what thumbnail is used?

Thanks for this thread btw

Banned

My kid has one of these & never uses it.Would be easier just given her the ipad than doing all the above :-/

I used to use ilivid to download utube files but not working now. Any advice How to copy from youtube??

racheleden

I used to use ilivid to download utube files but not working now. Any … I used to use ilivid to download utube files but not working now. Any advice How to copy from youtube??

If you use Chrome as a browser there is a pugin that does it well.

Can't think of the name as on my tablet atm but just google "download YouTube videos with Chrome" and its right there.

Other than that I'm not sure

Hi I know this post is for Innotab 2 but could anybody please give me a guide on how to put a copy of a film onto my sons Innotab 3s. We thought it was going to be straight forward but how wrong were we !! TIA

Malibu777, I'm stuck too!! Maybe not such a good deal :-( I've set up four or five innotab 1/2 and cannot get my head around this one. If I get nowhere today, I'm just gonna get the galaxy tab 3 with a silicone case!!!

Malibu777, I'm stuck too!! Maybe not such a good deal :-( I've set up four or five innotab 1/2 and cannot get my head around this one. If I get nowhere today, I'm just gonna get the galaxy tab 3 with a silicone case!!!

im stuck to im using the innotab 3s now to leave this message is ther away to get youtube website to play videos on the innotab 3s

I think there is a way to get You Tube videos but I don't know how. We're trying to get a film dloaded onto our pc onto the Innotab. Bloody thing is doing my nut in ! Why can't there be a simple step by step guide ? !!
Edited by: "malibu777" 29th Dec 2013

Just to let you know , the above guide worked for my sons innotab 3s, I didn't think it would but it has ! Thanks OP

HELP, I have a Macbook and I can't seem to convert any movies to put on my son & daughters Innotab3S. Nothing seems to work. I need an idiot step by step guide PLEASE…..

Some of the videos look laggy/shaky does anybody know how to rectify this ?

1078dant

HELP, I have a Macbook and I can't seem to convert any movies to put on … HELP, I have a Macbook and I can't seem to convert any movies to put on my son & daughters Innotab3S. Nothing seems to work. I need an idiot step by step guide PLEASE…..

have you downloaded that Avidemux and copied the above guide ?

Original Poster

malibu777

Some of the videos look laggy/shaky does anybody know how to rectify this … Some of the videos look laggy/shaky does anybody know how to rectify this ?

hi, not sure about this. was the original laggy? have you tried any more?

Cheers for the reply. Ive tried a few, Thomas and Peppa. They're dloaded off the net (xvid), Im wondering whether this has anything to do with it

Original Poster

what is the original file like on your pc? laggy?

original file is fine

Edited by: "malibu777" 15th Jan 2014

I have found a solution to the problem the basic issue was innotab videos previously which was encoded with xvid codecs were much easy to use,but when innotab vtech upgraded the software they dont give money to xvid company and do not have the right s for it and so this is not included in the new firmware if you have updated the firmware to new you will have this problem ,,now in there site they have mentioned to convert to h264 format with tencorder but they have not mentioned the exact specifications and there are more than 60 formats ...now dont worry just watch this video from youtube ,get a tencorder software download for free and follow exactly as what it says ,,,believe me it was a success i have now more than 200 stories for my son on his tab now ,,,conversion is also very fast link is
youtube.com/wat…g7w hope you find this useful

Hi jomy thanks for the information. I passed this problem over to my OH and he actually got a walkthrough video from You Tube with instructions on what to do for the innotab 3s. The software to convert was one you had to pay for but my Oh has 'sourced' it from elsewhere lol. Works great now and converts very quickly.
Thanks for the info though and I hope it helps others. Thanks jammiev too

malibu777

Hi jomy thanks for the information. I passed this problem over to my OH … Hi jomy thanks for the information. I passed this problem over to my OH and he actually got a walkthrough video from You Tube with instructions on what to do for the innotab 3s. The software to convert was one you had to pay for but my Oh has 'sourced' it from elsewhere lol. Works great now and converts very quickly.Thanks for the info though and I hope it helps others. Thanks jammiev too

so... for the benefit of the others in the thread how was it done for you?

brilly

so... for the benefit of the others in the thread how was it done for you?

Apologies, as i said I handed it over to my OH to sort out. He googled the problem and found a vidoe on You Tube with a walkthrough guide. You have to dload 'DVD Catalyst'. I don't know much else other than he said it was quick at converting. Im a bit of a novice at this type of thing.
Heres the link to the You Tube video though video
Edited by: "malibu777" 20th Jan 2014

This post have a great article . Nice information for everyone .Thanks for this post .

Original Poster

your welcome

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much!!!!! I updated my daughters innotab2 last week(late!) I didn't know that innotab changed format surpport, I've been converting and downloading all wkend, your instructions worked first time! My baby girl is going to be soo chuffed when she gets back! Thanks again!

Original Poster

you are most welcome

i need help I bought my son a kidigo for xmas and there isn't a alternative to download learning logde for it and if I download the right video content it wont show up on the device
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions