Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..

Found 21st Sep 2017
when gaming on a TV.. if you see Trails/ blur when kicking a football long is this input lag or down to the TV's refresh rate?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

This will be the TV. See if you have options to change the motion settings - does your TV have a game mode ? Or just stop playing with Rooney up front.

Ghosting like that is primarily caused by the transition period between pixels which is typically known as response time.

High refresh rates are generally only used for panels with low response timesas the pixels need to be be able to change fast enough to display frames for a shorter times so that's a good proxy, and it also helps with other aspects of motion (although TVs typically don't accept high frame rate signals, so you also need good motion interpolation to use it).

The other thing that'll help reduce trails is a backlight strobing/black frame insertion system.

Input lag has no affect on the picture, excessively high values (which are rare these days) just make the TV feel laggy.

Original Poster

So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your controller to fire a gun in like Call of Duty... its the delay u feel from pressing the trigger to the gun shooting on the screen?

Is that what input lag is?
Edited by: "makershaker" 21st Sep 2017

makershaker20 m ago

So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your …So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your controller to fire a gun in like Call of Duty... its the delay u feel from pressing the trigger to the gun shooting on the screen?Is that what input lag is?

I
makershaker20 m ago

So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your …So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your controller to fire a gun in like Call of Duty... its the delay u feel from pressing the trigger to the gun shooting on the screen?Is that what input lag is?

You will be seeing alot of input lag about 12.30 on saturday mate lol

Original Poster

So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your controller to fire a gun in like Call of Duty... its the delay u feel from pressing the trigger to the gun shooting on the screen?

Is that what input lag is??

makershaker3 h, 55 m ago

Yes, when talked about generally. In the context of TVs the figures are typically only the portion of the delay that the television is responsible for, i.e. the delay between the signal being output by your console and displayed on the screen.

Total delay depends on the game and gaming system but it's typically 100-200ms before the TV receives the signal so the difference between 40ms and 60ms from the TV aren't very significant and only of interest for those particularly sensitive to it.

makershaker2 h, 16 m ago

So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your …So let me get this right.. input lag is basically when you press your controller to fire a gun in like Call of Duty... its the delay u feel from pressing the trigger to the gun shooting on the screen?Is that what input lag is??

Several things cause ghosting and here's a web link with them all listed Motion Blur Link

Input lag is the amount of time it takes the video processor in the PC to process the video, some are really slow as they add post processing which causes the lag. This that mostly be sorted by turning off the post processing by selecting the HDMI input as PC.

Remember that not input lag is due to the TV and could be caused by slow update from the PC/Console due to poor specs or software.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves1 h, 34 m ago

Yes, when talked about generally. In the context of TVs the figures are …Yes, when talked about generally. In the context of TVs the figures are typically only the portion of the delay that the television is responsible for, i.e. the delay between the signal being output by your console and displayed on the screen. Total delay depends on the game and gaming system but it's typically 100-200ms before the TV receives the signal so the difference between 40ms and 60ms from the TV aren't very significant and only of interest for those particularly sensitive to it.

Okay... reason I'm asking is because I have a Panasonic 58dx750b.. which has a fairly high input lag of around 45ms. I was going to upgrade my ps4 to a Ps4 pro for the 4K gaming but read it causes higher input lag. I thought that meant everything on screen would look really laggy

makershaker4 h, 39 m ago

Okay... reason I'm asking is because I have a Panasonic 58dx750b.. which …Okay... reason I'm asking is because I have a Panasonic 58dx750b.. which has a fairly high input lag of around 45ms. I was going to upgrade my ps4 to a Ps4 pro for the 4K gaming but read it causes higher input lag. I thought that meant everything on screen would look really laggy

displayspecifications.com/en/…48d

44ms == 0.0440s
120Hz refresh rate = 120 times a second or a refresh every 0.0083 seconds
So you're losing about 5 frames a second out of 120
Average human reaction speed is around 0.215 seconds so you're pretty much good.

humanbenchmark.com/tes…ime

I think this would be more of an issue PC gaming over console.

Original Poster

kester763 h, 14 m ago

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8a4f48d44ms == 0.0440s120Hz …https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8a4f48d44ms == 0.0440s120Hz refresh rate = 120 times a second or a refresh every 0.0083 secondsSo you're losing about 5 frames a second out of 120 Average human reaction speed is around 0.215 seconds so you're pretty much good.https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontimeI think this would be more of an issue PC gaming over console.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions