Inspired by that huge MISC thread

Found 8th Aug 2017Edited by:"splender"
Inspired by Wongy's and his
❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅

Here is a maths puzzle to solve, I am getting old and very rusty, this took me up to ~30 mins, I believe.

To give others a chance, there is no need to post your answer here but the numerals/digits for the moon, snowman, snowman, cloud and sun add up to 34. (This is not part of maths question or clue but I added this to facilitate your checking your answer, if you need this checksum.)

As well as brute force trial and error, you may get to the answer quicker by using some rational reasoning.

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Answer: It's going to be cloudy tonight, but tomorrow you might want to give your snowmen an umbrella
31 Comments
42 😜
I've spent a hour and I am no closer to solving this.
Answer: It's going to be cloudy tonight, but tomorrow you might want to give your snowmen an umbrella
zainarafiq8 m ago

I've spent a hour and I am no closer to solving this.

Keep going, I haven't done this for donkeys of years and I almost gave up after 5 mins.
"To give others a chance, there is no need to post your answer here..."

Inspired by the huge MISC thread, but not rivalling it for quantity of comments.
I don't even understand the question
= Brexit with a big happy face
fanpages13 m ago

"To give others a chance, there is no need to post your answer …"To give others a chance, there is no need to post your answer here..."Inspired by the huge MISC thread, but not rivalling it for quantity of comments.

That thread is formiddable.
Graham19797 m ago

= Brexit with a big happy face

Brexit is a much harder puzzle for some people to solve. That's got a 1000X+ more variables than this bad boy puzzle. But it could be said arbitrarily that if neither Mr Hammond nor Mr McDonnell could crack this baby puzzle within 5 minutes then they have no hope in understanding Brexit sums themselves.
deeky14 m ago

Each weather symbol denotes a number uniquely ( a digit), the question is to answer which number each weather symbol represents.
Sun: 6
Umbrella: 5
Star: 2
Cloud: 7
Snowman: 9
Moon: 3
Sun: 6
Umbrella: 5
Star: 2
Cloud: 7
Snowman: 9
Moon: 3
Dayum, too slow
deeky32 m ago

deeky1 m ago

Dayum, too slow

Uh-huh.
fanpages6 m ago

Uh-huh.

Wut? You didn't expect me to get it, did you?
Edited by: "deeky" 8th Aug 2017
deeky1 m ago

You surpassed my expectations. It only took you 5 minutes (after me).
fanpages1 m ago

That's a very pleasant flattery.
fanpages2 m ago

Once I figured out the formula it was like shelling weasels. You're just lucky I had other stuff to do or you'd have been eating my dust
Edited by: "deeky" 8th Aug 2017
splender1 m ago

That's a very pleasant flattery.

Just don't mention the pleasant flattery's son; the pheasant plucker.
deeky53 s ago

Once I figured out the formula it was like shelling weasels. You're just …Once I figured out the formula it was like shelling weasels. You're just lucky I had other stuff to do or you'd have been eating my dust

There are no calories in dust, so I could eat as much of that as I like.
deeky9 m ago

Not meaning to sound rude, but did you actually work it out or copy fan pages? I must be really dumb because I still haven't worked it out.
zainarafiq1 m ago

Not meaning to sound rude, but did you actually work it out or copy fan …Not meaning to sound rude, but did you actually work it out or copy fan pages? I must be really dumb because I still haven't worked it out.

31647513-zzBKD.jpg

I'll leave you to work out the answer to that yourself - it should be easier than the maths question
zainarafiq2 m ago

Not meaning to sound rude, but did you actually work it out or copy fan …Not meaning to sound rude, but did you actually work it out or copy fan pages? I must be really dumb because I still haven't worked it out.

Would you like some more clues (or hints how I reached my solution)?
zainarafiq3 m ago

hahaha
zainarafiq36 m ago

You can do it, rather than giving you clues. Well, a minimal of hint, what you can do is do some simple sums on a sheet of paper and play around with how numbers behave when they are multiplied e.g.

____
24 <-=== here you will see how it is 4 here and 4 on the top.
after a while you will see a pattern(s) when playing around with numbers 0,1,2....9
Answer; Britain on an average summers day.

You're welcome.
A151210 m ago

Answer; Britain on an average summers day. You're welcome.

Britain is a mixed bag of weather, hot and cold, rain and sunshine, never knowing what one should wear when going out.
splender27 m ago

You can do it, rather than giving you clues. Well, a minimal of hint, what …You can do it, rather than giving you clues. Well, a minimal of hint, what you can do is do some simple sums on a sheet of paper and play around with how numbers behave when they are multiplied e.g. 4X 6____ 24 <-=== here you will see how it is 4 here and 4 on the top..after a while you will see a pattern(s) when playing around with numbers 0,1,2....9

Apart from '1' not being one of the digits available to select, a better hint is which digit(s) squared (multipled by itself/themselves) has/have the same digit in the least significant [unit] position [i.e. (same digit) x (same digit) = (any digit)(same digit) ]?
fanpages1 h, 17 m ago

Apart from '1' not being one of the digits available to select, a better …Apart from '1' not being one of the digits available to select, a better hint is which digit(s) squared (multipled by itself/themselves) has/have the same digit in the least significant [unit] position [i.e. (same digit) x (same digit) = (any digit)(same digit) ]?

That's too much hint, surely the first step is let them play with multiplying 2 numbers together and let them discover in time what happens to the unit place digit, a step at a step so that people build a more solid base for number characteristics in maths operations if they hadn't grasped this earlier at school.
Edited by: "splender" 8th Aug 2017
splender1 m ago

That's too much hint, surely the first step is let them play with …That's too much hint, surely the first step is let them play with multiplying 2 numbers together and let them discover in time what happens to the unit place digit, a step at a step so that people build a more solid base for number characteristics in maths operations if they hadn't grasped this earlier at school.

OK, we'll start with a basic hint:

1 + 8 = Snowman = Moon + Sun
fanpages3 h, 23 m ago

OK, we'll start with a basic hint:1 + 8 = Snowman = Moon + Sun

snowman is obviously 8 to represent the two snowballs piled on top of one another
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions