Expired

Inspiron 660 - increase memory but Crucial says can only boost from 4gb to 8gb, can I not upgrade to 16gb?

Found 23rd Oct 2013
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

Thanks
Community Updates
AskCrucialRAMDell Laptop
12 Comments
Looks like the max this one will take is 8gb. Checked a few sources and they all state 8gb is max. Sorry!
Original Poster
andybites

Looks like the max this one will take is 8gb. Checked a few sources and … Looks like the max this one will take is 8gb. Checked a few sources and they all state 8gb is max. Sorry!

Should Dell state max memory capacity in the spec as I was not aware of this before buying...
great-deals

Should Dell state max memory capacity in the spec as I was not aware of … Should Dell state max memory capacity in the spec as I was not aware of this before buying...

They prob did somewhere. That said there's not many applications for a laptop that'll need that much RAM ( I believe multiple VM's benefit but your prob constricted CPU wise here).

Also Crucial play it safe - they claim my HP (2nd gen i5) is only good for 8gb theres plenty of users with 16gb in it. Google around, borrow some RAM to test or just bite the bullet and order 2x8gb. Worse case scenario is you'll need to find a home for the other stick.
Original Poster
So not that I know which RAM to actually buy - but if I did buy 2 x 8gb sticks and put them in what will the PC do? Will it just work as fast as possible i.e. only at 8gb even thought a total of 16gb is installed? I can check the system properties and if it shows up as 16gb does that mean 16gb is working or just installed?
great-deals

So not that I know which RAM to actually buy - but if I did buy 2 x 8gb … So not that I know which RAM to actually buy - but if I did buy 2 x 8gb sticks and put them in what will the PC do? Will it just work as fast as possible i.e. only at 8gb even thought a total of 16gb is installed? I can check the system properties and if it shows up as 16gb does that mean 16gb is working or just installed?

Yh, fit them then check in Bios that there recognised. If there not windows will likely only 'see' 8gb. It may see nothing - ie the laptop doesn't like 8gb sticks. If you post your full model number / specs I could give you a better guess.

What do you want to do with your laptop? Ie why are you wanting 16gb of ram? I see you mention speed and yh sure, if your ram limited now (at 4gb) increasing will help some but I really fail to see why you need so much. So long as your not using all your existing ram the single best upgrade for a laptop is a SSD.

Also I presume you are running Linux or a 64 bit version of windows as if you are running 32 bit windows your constrained to 4G RAM anyway.
Original Poster
capriboycraig

Yh, fit them then check in Bios that there recognised. If there not … Yh, fit them then check in Bios that there recognised. If there not windows will likely only 'see' 8gb. It may see nothing - ie the laptop doesn't like 8gb sticks. If you post your full model number / specs I could give you a better guess.What do you want to do with your laptop? Ie why are you wanting 16gb of ram? I see you mention speed and yh sure, if your ram limited now (at 4gb) increasing will help some but I really fail to see why you need so much. So long as your not using all your existing ram the single best upgrade for a laptop is a SSD.

Thanks but this is a PC not laptop. Have another PC and think it's an i3 and threw in 16gb of a good brand ram and it is very quick. I am not very technical but I have several browsers open 4/5 at a time with multiple pages, and just navigating between web / programme is very slow in this pc with 4gb and super quick with 16gb pc. Not sure if this is only due to ram upgrade but clearly helped.
great-deals

Thanks but this is a PC not laptop. Have another PC and think it's an i3 … Thanks but this is a PC not laptop. Have another PC and think it's an i3 and threw in 16gb of a good brand ram and it is very quick. I am not very technical but I have several browsers open 4/5 at a time with multiple pages, and just navigating between web / programme is very slow in this pc with 4gb and super quick with 16gb pc. Not sure if this is only due to ram upgrade but clearly helped.

Doesn't matter whether it's a pc or laptop to be fair.

If your cpu is a 3nd gen i3 - 2120 I think in the 660 - then it supports upto 32GB:

http://ark.intel.com/products/53426/

So in theory it's not an issue. In practice the mobo / bios might not like it. It seems to me if you have another pc with q6gb in why don't you just borrow that and check?

As for speed your needs aren't excessive - open task manager with ctrl+shift+esc whilst you have a typical amount of programs running, open the resource monitor and look at the memory use - that will tell you how tight you are. If your managing with 4 now but it's slow then 8 will free it up no end. With your info about programs there's more likely to be another cause of the slowdown - crapware / malware / duff program hogging cpu use / thrashing the HDD etc.

Pic here of my memory usage, thats with Multiple chrome tabs, same with IE, WMP playing music, libre office with a rich word dco, a small spreadsheet, steam running, dropbox and other services and also a big image file open in viewer. Laptop is a 2nd gen i5 so not much different than a desktop 2nd gen i3 ( I have HT, iirc you don't) and 8gb RAM - it's all running off a 128gb SSD.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51873072/ram%20ss.jpg
You'll note the 'free' is small - that's fine - look at the bottom and I have 4961 available. I played around opening almost everything on here (it's only a light use machine / gaming - no heavy software on here) and there was still plenty left out the 8gb.

The marketing men will have you believe that you need gigs and gigs of RAM - sure lazy programming has led to bulbous software but you really don't need 16gb for your scenario.
For the record, I've just done this upgrade on an Inspiron 660 (i5) and it worked fine. 2x 8GB PC3-12800 memory sticks.
So can anyone conferm that 2 x 8gb will work on a Inspiron 660 pc? I have the I3 2130 cpu with 2 ram slots and would love to put the 16gb in it, just dont want to buy them if its not going to run....
That CPU can support up to 32GB, just like the i5-3330 Inspiron 660 that I upgraded to 16GB. So it's likely you can use 2x 8GB, but I can't say for sure.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions