Install an OS quickly and easily of a U3 USB

4 replies
Found 7th Dec 2008
Easiest way to insall Windows or any other OS - NOTE only if you have a San Cruzer with U3..

1) Buy a Sandisk Cruzer with U3 functionality

2) Download Universal_Customizer from here hak5.org/pac…zip

3) Make a (Nlite slimmed) XP bootable ISO see nliteos.com
Can be slimmed down to the bone. Manual install etc. can be removed.

4) Install Universal_Customize

5) Copy ISO in ../BIN directory where Universal_Customizer is installed

6) Rename the ISO to U3CUSTOM.ISO, it can be any size fitting your USB-stick

7) Run Universal_Customizer, follow instructions, be patient!

Boot from USB-CDROM and start installing XP

msfn.org/boa…502

Tested and works fine...

Posted it in Dell mini 9 topic but thought it would help others..

Works with most pc/laptops with usb 2.0.. some very old ones may have bios issues..

4 Comments

You don't have to purchase Sandisk products - as long as you know the chip maker and model of your USB stick, and this particular maker is known to support CD emulation, you can use relative tools to "re-flash" it to set up CD emulation.

Although there is risk involved as well.

this dossent sound easy and how much quicker is it?
without a format i can install xp in about 40 mins

Things can go very wrong - not for the faint-hearted. To be honest, I don't see the point, except if you want to run Linux or Mac on a Windows PC, but even then, why bother?

hi hope some one can help i got a sandisk 8gb cruzor usb stick with u3 stuff on but when i run the universal customizer exe it runs i follow the onscreen instrutions it gets to around 50% the usb stick reboots and i get the following error ........ failed to access your u3 smart drive u3 customizer will now shut down tried everything i can think of but nothing seems to work am i doing something wrong i dont really know a thing about u3 thanx for any help
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50436
    2. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55
    4. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201766

See more discussions