Installation of nest smart thermostat

Posted 21st Nov
Hi all. I am currently in the market for a new boiler and a nest thermostat. My question is, my current thermostat which is just hardwired on the wall is 230v so I'm guessing the nest can't use the same wiring. What are my options to fit the nest where my current thermostat is as I would like the nest on the wall hardwired with no wires visible. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
If current thermostat is hardwired. Then you can use that wire to connect Nest thermostat to the boiler.
jamesbillinge21/11/2019 18:11

If current thermostat is hardwired. Then you can use that wire to connect …If current thermostat is hardwired. Then you can use that wire to connect Nest thermostat to the boiler.

I read on the nest website if the current thermostat is 230v you can't use the same wiring due to nest been low voltage
You just re-use the wires but connect them to the volt free terminals of the hub, all very simple for a competent installer.

Nest has Opentherm, well worth getting a compatible boiler (Intergas are).
Just did installation few weeks ago my self. Also had 230v drayton thermostat and replaced it with nest 3rd.

In my case I had to connect nest controller to the boiler instead of my drayton switch timer, and then I used old termostat wires for 12v connection from new nest controller to power nest thermostat. (Old termostat had 4 wires- live, live suply, neutral, ground. You need only 2 so the other 2 should be safely terminated).
Edited by: "Aici" 21st Nov
I set mine up last year with the Sonoff 4kw boiler wifi in-line smart switch - amazing you can read the wattage and voltage draw , amps and tech stuff on app or web browser, switch it on when i am on the bus on the way home and set various time schedules - total cost sub £20 - and when it goes wrong replace it with another £20 Sonoff!

These Nest things and Ring doorbells are well overpriced and when it goes wrong costly!
Mind you depends on the boiler mine is a vented cylinder old stylee with the slide in thermostat and heat element!
Edited by: "omendata" 21st Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions