Installed Gas - Unable to change Tarriff for 6 weeks!?

Found 12th Oct 2017
Just changed an elderly relative's heating from an oil boiler to a gas boiler.

Southern Gas Networks have installed the Gas to the property & boiler being installed by a local company in 1 weeks time.

EON have installed the gas meter and they are adamant we must stay on their Variable rate / Standard tarriff for a minimum of 6 weeks, until we are allowed to move to a fixed 1 year tarriff or change supplier.

This means the Gas will cost a huge amount more since it is not a fixed tarriff and the relative is very frail and needs constant heating at 23+ degrees celsius due to medical conditions.

Are EON right in saying this? I would like to either fix the tarriff immediately and/or change supplier to somebody where I can fix the tarriff immediately.
I presume they are trying to reclaim the money it cost them to install the gas meter.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Yes it correct they are on what is called a deemed contract. Should have investigated the suppler before arranging the meter installation..
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 12th Oct 2017
Original Poster
OBH6UK7 m ago

Yes it correct they are on what is called a deemed contract. Should have …Yes it correct they are on what is called a deemed contract. Should have investigated the suppler before arranging the meter installation..

Interesting - I'd have assumed this was similar amongst all companies/cartels - and therefore no difference between firms. Just out of interest (don't worry if you don't know as it's too late now), are you aware of any companies with a much shorter period?

I still can't find anything on their website stating this, except a reference to deemed contract when supplying a business. The other downside is that it takes 17 days to change supplier whom would then have to fit their own meter, which is unacceptably long as there is currently no heating resulting in huge electricity bills (or alternatively too cold a house).
Firefly120 m ago

Interesting - I'd have assumed this was similar amongst all …Interesting - I'd have assumed this was similar amongst all companies/cartels - and therefore no difference between firms. Just out of interest (don't worry if you don't know as it's too late now), are you aware of any companies with a much shorter period?I still can't find anything on their website stating this, except a reference to deemed contract when supplying a business. The other downside is that it takes 17 days to change supplier whom would then have to fit their own meter, which is unacceptably long as there is currently no heating resulting in huge electricity bills (or alternatively too cold a house).

Own meter??? Are you sure? Every switch I've done has involved using the same meter.

Have a look on uswitch for an alternative deal - you'll find someone cheaper than EON's best rate so probably best to switch. Also check when you can apply to switch - as it takes approx a month to switch could you not make the application to switch after just 2 weeks.

Even at variable rate for 6 weeks this should be cheaper than the what your relative was paying when using oil.
Original Poster
Van197325 m ago

Own meter??? Are you sure? Every switch I've done has involved using …Own meter??? Are you sure? Every switch I've done has involved using the same meter. Have a look on uswitch for an alternative deal - you'll find someone cheaper than EON's best rate so probably best to switch. Also check when you can apply to switch - as it takes approx a month to switch could you not make the application to switch after just 2 weeks.Even at variable rate for 6 weeks this should be cheaper than the what your relative was paying when using oil.

Sorry - let me clarify.
It's a standard meter (not smart meter) - installed by Eon free of charge - completely new meter, not a replacement. It appears I am tied into them for the next 6 weeks at the variable rate. I presume that is why they can do it for free (Although it seems all of the big 6 install them for free - although I cannot see anything in writing about this 6 week rule, apart from what I was told over the telephone).

However, it's a very good point that I should be able to initiate the switching process in only 3 weeks because of the 17 days it takes to switch - thank you.
It is 20 years ago since we had gas installed so my memory might be a bit rusty but I think we only paid for the gas supply line (about £1000) and the meter was fitted free. Can't remember having same problem over a specific rate - but I'm sure everything has changed over past 20 years.

I have a Smart electric meter and a standard gas meter - never had to change a meter when changed a supplier. I have actually just started the switching process today (going to Avro) and they only need meter readings on or around the switching day. They have given me a switching date of 1 month today.

Good luck!
I recall being in a similar situation when having a prepayment meter changed to a regular credit meter. Seems to be standard practice I'm afraid.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants