Groups

Installing an aerial point upstairs

We, hopefully, should be moving into our first 'own' house soon, there isn't a TV point upstairs in the bedroom, just the one in the lounge. Where we rent at the moment (and every other house i've ever lived in) has always had one.

Does anyone know the ease of putting one in myself? or the cost of getting someone who knows what they are doing to come and do it

Thanks in advance

9 Comments

ive just done this in one of my rooms, the walls are similiar to stud walls, i cut a hole into the stud wall to fit a tv point box and then get into the loft to find the cavity & feed a ]cable access rod down it tie a piece of string to the rod pull it back up so then i could pull the ariel lead back down the cavity to connect up to the tv point.

if you walls are single block/brick drill a small hole in the ceiling in the corner of the room, run it down the wall in the corner of the room inside some slim flat/square ]conduit from B&Q which you can paint the same colour of your walls or paper round it.

Original Poster

Thanks, that doesn't sound too hard, how/where would i split the cable? It seems to come in the house at the patio doors, from the outside.

Another option is to drill a small hole in the ceiling and drop the cable down from the loft, thats what i have done and just split the feed off the ariel via a amplified splitter

Original Poster

That's waht i thought i would have to do, does an aerial always go into the loft? or can it run from where it is on the top down the side of the house?

sancho1983;6016918

That's waht i thought i would have to do, does an aerial always go into … That's waht i thought i would have to do, does an aerial always go into the loft? or can it run from where it is on the top down the side of the house?

It's best outside, but the loft is used as it's easier to access.

Detach the point downstairs, and run that wire into the bedroom. Then use a splitter to run the new lead from the bedroom to the original point in the lounge.

Just get another cheap loft/outdoor aerial from argos.
    Point it in the direction of your other aerial and your good to go.
    Got one of these in our loft, get an awesome signal from it.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

Philex SLx 32DW 32 Element High Gain Outdoor TV Aerial.
    534/1829

* £16.99

Original Poster

That sounds really good actually, the house is empty at the moment, and has been for a little while, the vendor has no idea about the TV coverage, looking at the aerial on the roof it looks like a pretty poor one.

Freview.co.uk says we should get most chanels available, but i know it's not that accurate.

So basically i buy this, screw it into something in the loft and voila it will work? Presuming the current aerial goes into the loft i'm guessing i can just unplug the current cable and plug it into this one if i wanted to replace the feed for the one in the front room?

sancho1983;6025106

That sounds really good actually, the house is empty at the moment, and … That sounds really good actually, the house is empty at the moment, and has been for a little while, the vendor has no idea about the TV coverage, looking at the aerial on the roof it looks like a pretty poor one.Freview.co.uk says we should get most chanels available, but i know it's not that accurate.So basically i buy this, screw it into something in the loft and voila it will work? Presuming the current aerial goes into the loft i'm guessing i can just unplug the current cable and plug it into this one if i wanted to replace the feed for the one in the front room?

Yep just 2 screws, one holds a clamp onto the outer part of the aerial and the other holds the centre section.
    Just line it up and get someone watching the tv to confirm signal strength on all channels.
    Doddle.
    That argos cable comes with all connectors and 10m of cable with it.
    If you need extra connectors get them cheap from ebay or nip into maplin and pick them up.

Original Poster

Thanks for that, will investigate more when we get in, at least i don't have to worry too much, we had a new aerial instaled where we are now and it was £300!!! Luckily the landlady paid for it.

Didn't want that kind of expense with everything else!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***418
      2. love affairs1649
      3. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      4. Important info for Ryanair customers1825

See more discussions