Groups

Installing motorised satellite dish

I know there is a few people on here that have done this as i was discussing the pro's and con's of putting in my own system for the football a few weeks ago, but i can't remember who it was

Well i've took the plunge and ordered a system so was just after a bit of advice on the installation of it, can someone help before i get an installer in.

cheers

36 Comments

Banned

i have a motorised system in
    and its the dogs conkers
    some updating on the cam via my computer and bobs your uncle, over 3000 chanels

skywise.tv/

guvs the man to sort you out on the installation of your dish... I'm hoping to get one in the new year..

things to remember:
    when installing the dish motor, initialize at 0°, then only move with the motor to 28.2° (if you are trying to tune to sky) or other satellites, otherwise you will not get signal clearly

best to try specialized forums rathern then hukd

cheers

Banned

What ya ordered?

I've done installs on 1.2m motorised systems - but that was back in the days of analogue when it was far easier to use the onscreen settings to align things! Can still be done though. I assume you've bought a diseqc motor? Fraid I have no knowledge of using this motors. Best bit of advice though...........

Make sure you get a proper survey done so you know where you plant the dish, it has nothing blocking its view. Get a compass. You will want if you can get, a clear view from 28E round to 30 W. If you cant, at least make sure you get 28E to 1W.

When you plant the pole for the dish (assuming you are going this way), it has to be completely firm (the shape of the dish acts as an amplifier for wind!) and completely at a 90E upright angle. Thats very important. If it isn't. you will have problems aligning the dish. Having said that, things are probably easier with a diseqc motor. On my system its on a polar mount. It tracks the satellite arc in one continous movement. i think diseqc is different to this - ie its more forgiving and you can tell it to move both vertical and horizontally. Best check for that. As I say, never used one!

I'd say its definately worth having a go (providing your ok with the first bits mentioned.) If you are siteing on the house, make sure you are using very strong brackets!

Banned

dog_cop;3801821

i have a motorised system in and its the dogs conkers some updating on … i have a motorised system in and its the dogs conkers some updating on the cam via my computer and bobs your uncle, over 3000 chanels

What ya got dogcop?

Original Poster

guv;3801902

What ya ordered?I've done installs on 1.2m motorised systems - but that … What ya ordered?I've done installs on 1.2m motorised systems - but that was back in the days of analogue when it was far easier to use the onscreen settings to align things! Can still be done though. I assume you've bought a diseqc motor? Fraid I have no knowledge of using this motors. Best bit of advice though...........Make sure you get a proper survey done so you know where you plant the dish, it has nothing blocking its view. Get a compass. You will want if you can get, a clear view from 28E round to 30 W. If you cant, at least make sure you get 28E to 1W.When you plant the pole for the dish (assuming you are going this way), it has to be completely firm (the shape of the dish acts as an amplifier for wind!) and completely at a 90E upright angle. Thats very important. If it isn't. you will have problems aligning the dish. Having said that, things are probably easier with a diseqc motor. On my system its on a polar mount. It tracks the satellite arc in one continous movement. i think diseqc is different to this - ie its more forgiving and you can tell it to move both vertical and horizontally. Best check for that. As I say, never used one!I'd say its definately worth having a go (providing your ok with the first bits mentioned.) If you are siteing on the house, make sure you are using very strong brackets!

I've bought one of these wizardsatellite.co.uk/ind…195

I've got a fair idea of where to put the dish using ]dish pointer It's just the initial set up that might be a bit tricky as in finding the satelittes and storing channels.

I'll give it a go though

Banned

Yeh that kit should be fine. Its going on a wall right?

Storing channels wont be a problem.... correct alignment is the key.

Banned

guv;3801944

What ya got dogcop?

got a technomate tm1500ci, Diablo cam and a rather large dish on the roof

Banned

Before you buy or rent a dish, check whether you need planning permission, listed building consent or owner's/ landlord's consent.
    Remember, you are responsible for the appropriate siting of satellite dishes; if you have any doubt, contact the planning department of your local council or seek independent professional advice.

Checklist for Selection, Purchase, and Installation

Check if you need the landlord's, or owner's consent.

Don't allow a dish to be installed without first finding out whether or not you need planning permission or listed building consent.

Use reputable and authorised suppliers and installers.

Select a dish no larger than the minimum required for good reception.

Site the dish in an inconspicuous place, preferably where your neighbours and the public cannot see it.

Avoid breaking the skyline with the dish and, whenever possible don't site it in front of the house.

Select a dish that blends in with its chosen background.

Respect the environment. The cheapest option may not be the most environmentally friendly.

Don't forget that you are responsible for having it installed; poor siting may lead the council to require you to resite the dish at your own expense.

Satellite TV technology continues to evolve: you should be aware of the different kinds of system so that you can make an informed choice.
    Is a planning application required?

A general permission exists under the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, as amended by the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) Order 1998 for satellite dishes in certain circumstances. These are explained below according to different house types and areas.

If you are a tenant or a leaseholder (ie you do not own the house you live in), then the landlord's or owner's consent to install a dish is usually required, unless it has already been given, as well as any other necessary permissions.
    1 Do you live in a house that is not in a conservation area, a National park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Norfolk Boards?

Then you do not need to apply for planning permission to install a dish on that house, provided that:

there will not be more than one dish on the building or in the garden;

the dish does not exceed 90cm in size;

if the dish is installed on the roof, it does not protrude above the highest part of the roof;

in the case of an installation on a chimney stack, the dish does not exceed 45cm in size and is not higher than the highest part of the stack.

2 Do you live in a larger block of flats (of or over 15m in height - approximately over five storeys)?

Then you do not need to apply for planning permission to install a dish, provided that:

the building is not in a conservation area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Broads;

the number of dishes (including terrestrial dish antennas) on the building as a whole does not exceed two;

the dish does not exceed 1.3m in size.

3 Do you live in a flat in a small block of flats or commercial premises (below 15m in height) or plan to install a dish on a commercial property (eg shop, pub, club, etc)? Or do you live in a dwelling house in a conservation area, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Broads?

Then you do not need to apply for planning permission to install a dish, provided that:

* the dish does not exceed the limits on size, number and siting that are set out in paragraph 1 above, and the installation is not on a chimney stack, nor on the wall or roofslope fronting the road or public footpath (or, in the case of the Broads, fronting the waterway).

In the case of flats, these limits refer to the building as a whole and not to each separate flat. If, therefore, one flat dweller has already installed a dish, planning permission is required for further installations. However, in such a case, the flat dweller may wish to examine the possibility of a shared dish.

Your supplier or installer may generally be able to advise whether an application for planning permission is required for installing a dish in a particular place. If there is any doubt you should contact the planning department of your local council; the department provides application forms if planning permission is required.

It is your responsibility for seeking, or not seeking, planning permission. If required, planning permission should be granted before installation.

Size means the measurement across any dimension of the antenna (excluding any projecting feed element, the reinforcing rim and supporting brackets).

Some buildings are 'listed' because of their special historic or architectural interest. If you live in a 'listed building', you will need to consult your local planning department. The department can advise if the building is 'listed'. If it is, you will generally need to apply for 'listed building consent', if you wish to install a dish on that building. This consent is different from planning permission and must not be confused with it.

Listed building consent is required for any dish that affects the character orappearance of a listed building or its setting.

Do you need planning permission?
    click for a visual guide (Adobe Acrobat: 72kb)
    Minimising the Impact

It is a condition of installing a dish that you must site it in such a way that minimises its impact on the external appearance of the building and remove it when no longer needed.

You have the responsibility for the selection , the siting, the sympathetic appearance of any dish that you buy or rent.

In coming to a decision on the selection and siting of a dish, you should take account of its impact on the neighbours , the public , the environment.

The retailer or installer may be able to advise you on these matters, but if there is any doubt, then you should contact your local planning department.
    Considerations for Selection, Siting and Appearance

a white dish may blend against a white background but may be conspicuous against darker backgrounds;

a mesh or transparent dish may be less obtrusive than a solid one;

the location of a dish on a rear wall of the building or in the garden protected by shrubs (be careful not to disrupt the line-of-sight) is usually less conspicuous than siting it on the front of the building;

the performance of a dish is not affected by whether it is located higher up or lower down on a building, as long as the line-of-sight with the satellite is not affected;

a small dish hidden behind a parapet or a chimney stack may be less conspicuous than one on the wall;

special consideration will be necessary where a satellite dish is to be installed on, or within the grounds, of a listed building (subject to listed building consent - see above). Where it is not possible to conceal the dish from view on the building, e.g. in a roof valley or behind a parapet, it may be better to site the dish at ground level elsewhere within the garden;

dishes are available in a range of makes and appearances; the choice is therefore important.

Generally the environmental concern stems from poor selection or siting of a dish or from a dish colour and appearance that contrasts conspicuously with its background.
    The Consequence of Poor Siting

If your planning department thinks a dish has been sited poorly and could reasonably be positioned less conspicuously, you may be asked to resite the dish at your own expense without having to apply for planning permission.

If such a request is refused, your planning department may then:

1. require you to make a planning application (for which a charge is payable) on the basis that the impact of the dish on the external appearance of the building has not been minimised

or

serve you with an enforcement notice requiring the siting of the dish to be altered in a specified way.

You are entitled to appeal if planning permission is sought and refused or if an enforcement notice is served. Grounds for an appeal could include your consideration that the chosen location is appropriate or that the measures required to be taken are excessive, perhaps giving rise to unreasonable costs.

Failure to comply with an enforcement notice is an offence which can lead to a fine, unless you have successfully appealed against it.

It is in your best interest to ensure the proper selection, siting and appearance of your dish from the beginning.

Your planning department, in seeking resiting, should use these guidelines to show, on a diagram, reasonable measures that can be taken to achieve significantly less visible locations that satisfy line-of-sight requirements and picture quality. The council cannot use this power to deny you the right to install a dish; the purpose of this guide is to give guidance on how the regulations on siting will be interpreted.

Original Poster

guv;3802543

Yeh that kit should be fine. Its going on a wall right?Storing channels … Yeh that kit should be fine. Its going on a wall right?Storing channels wont be a problem.... correct alignment is the key.

yeah it's going on the wall, i'll just have to buy some good fixings for it

Not bad , I have the TM1600+ .The 5400 has a USB slot , simply load a new file onto your pendrive from PC , stick your pendrive into the 5400 and load the file . I still have to program a card , no big deal though .I have allways used the Jeager motors ,[silent gold] easy to set up . Turn the motor to 0*[degrees] align the dish to 1*[degrees] West , [true South] then tweak your dish ..............elevation ....inclination and all that stuff . Best to use the compass and meter ............very ,very hard without a meter . I have never bothered with 28.2* , I have a fixed dish on Astra and the motorised linked on the same reciver using DisqeC .The motorised is mainly Thor or Hotbird . But ,take note ......were losing channels all the time ...................and join a good Sat forum .
    Best of luck

Original Poster

dog_cop;3802568

got a technomate tm1500ci, Diablo cam and a rather large dish on the roof

can you explain to me how the diablo cam works? I take it you don't jut buy the cam and plug it in?

Original Poster

ricko;3802650

Not bad , I have the TM1600+ .The 5400 has a USB slot , simply load a … Not bad , I have the TM1600+ .The 5400 has a USB slot , simply load a new file onto your pendrive from PC , stick your pendrive into the 5400 and load the file . I still have to program a card , no big deal though .I have allways used the Jeager motors ,[silent gold] easy to set up . Turn the motor to 0*[degrees] align the dish to 1*[degrees] West , [true South] then tweak your dish ..............elevation ....inclination and all that stuff . Best to use the compass and meter ............very ,very hard without a meter . I have never bothered with 28.2* , I have a fixed dish on Astra and the motorised linked on the same reciver using DisqeC .The motorised is mainly Thor or Hotbird . But ,take note ......were losing channels all the time ...................and join a good Sat forum .Best of luck

cheers :thumbsup:

Banned

souljacker;3802670

can you explain to me how the diablo cam works? I take it you don't jut … can you explain to me how the diablo cam works? I take it you don't jut buy the cam and plug it in?

mine is formatted via my computer and the site I use update codes, keys and the like which you load to your computer then trnasfer to your cam, takes about ten mins or so

Banned

ricko;3802650

But ,take note ......were losing channels all the time … But ,take note ......were losing channels all the time ...................and join a good Sat forum .

Very true........ More will go in the new year once the rest of the Nagra channels switch to V3.

Though there are more than one ways to skin a cat! You'd need an IP receiver for that though with a decent internet connection. Opens up a whole new world of satellite!

Yes ,as one door closes , another opens .
    I've seen lots of changes in the Sat world since my early days of D2-mac .Theres allways a light at the end of the tunnel .

Banned

ricko;3803241

Yes ,as one door closes , another opens .

True. Something will be released that unpicks the lock!

I've seen lots of changes in the Sat world since my early days of D2-mac … I've seen lots of changes in the Sat world since my early days of D2-mac .Theres always a light at the end of the tunnel .

Hehe... I remember my X1000 filmnet docoder! What a waste of money that was!

I've only got mine less than 2 weeks ago but i love it for the footie. I did cheat though, got dish fitted by local satellite shop. Got a 1m motorised dish with a Technomate 6900 HD super and using a Diablo cam. Cam programmed for me but have bought a CAS3+ programmer and read instructions on how to use (not had to do it yet though) and looks straight forward. What do you mean about IP receiver guv, if you don't mind me asking? I have a slot on my box for ethernet etc?
    I did a lot of reading before taking the plunge but glad i did although worried about losing channels although everybody seems to think there will be new firmwares/solutions to this.

Banned

NeilGY;3804148

I've only got mine less than 2 weeks ago but i love it for the footie. I … I've only got mine less than 2 weeks ago but i love it for the footie. I did cheat though, got dish fitted by local satellite shop. Got a 1m motorised dish with a Technomate 6900 HD super and using a Diablo cam. Cam programmed for me but have bought a CAS3+ programmer and read instructions on how to use (not had to do it yet though) and looks straight forward. What do you mean about IP receiver guv, if you don't mind me asking? I have a slot on my box for ethernet etc?I did a lot of reading before taking the plunge but glad i did although worried about losing channels although everybody seems to think there will be new firmwares/solutions to this.

There will always be new solutions. Only problem with Cams... these guys are in it to make lots of bucks. They support them for a while, then go onto the next one. I gave up with my Dragon Cam. Too much hassle to keep reprogramming it only to lose stuff pretty quickly. Have you flashed your 6900HD or just relying on the Diablo?

Ive got the 6900HD also - but its not the new "Super" you have. I wished I had waited! You are able to connect your receiver to the internet directly. Google CCcam and you will soon learn a few things! All I will say is it works!:p (And opens pretty much everything broadcast!)

Cheers guv, that sounds very,very interesting. The box was patched for me as well as the cam done, i wanted to start with everything done and learn as i went along. I find it hard to watch channels in SD now after watching footie on Canal HD and films on Canal films HD!!!
    There isn't much difference between the 6900 & the super is there? The main thing i can find is the 'Blind scan' although that still doesn't mean that much to me yet :thinking:

Original Poster

NeilGY;3804148

I've only got mine less than 2 weeks ago but i love it for the footie. I … I've only got mine less than 2 weeks ago but i love it for the footie. I did cheat though, got dish fitted by local satellite shop. Got a 1m motorised dish with a Technomate 6900 HD super and using a Diablo cam. Cam programmed for me but have bought a CAS3+ programmer and read instructions on how to use (not had to do it yet though) and looks straight forward. What do you mean about IP receiver guv, if you don't mind me asking? I have a slot on my box for ethernet etc?I did a lot of reading before taking the plunge but glad i did although worried about losing channels although everybody seems to think there will be new firmwares/solutions to this.

where did you buy the diablo cam pre-programmed from?

souljacker;3804417

where did you buy the diablo cam pre-programmed from?

I bought the cam from a local satellite shop but got it programmed by a friend. Does look easy to programme though using a CAS3+ programmer

Original Poster

NeilGY;3804467

I bought the cam from a local satellite shop but got it programmed by a … I bought the cam from a local satellite shop but got it programmed by a friend. Does look easy to programme though using a CAS3+ programmer

ok cheers, i'll look into getting one once i get my system up and running, do you get sat 3pm kick offs with this cam?

Banned

souljacker;3804532

ok cheers, i'll look into getting one once i get my system up and … ok cheers, i'll look into getting one once i get my system up and running, do you get sat 3pm kick offs with this cam?

you will be amazed at what football is on the system, for example the big game you will find on various stations , some with english commentry some not, also you can watch a massive amount of dutch, german , spanish.. loads and loads :w00t:

As has been suggested, the most important thing, apart from the actual siting of the dish, is to make certain that the support pole is absolutely vertical in all planes, and that the support is very strongly mounted, these things take a huge amount of wind force.

Good luck.

souljacker;3804532

ok cheers, i'll look into getting one once i get my system up and … ok cheers, i'll look into getting one once i get my system up and running, do you get sat 3pm kick offs with this cam?

Yes, last weekend was my first at being able to watch the 3pm kick offs :thumbsup:. I find a lot of the matches are on Thor satellite including the Canal + HD sports channel which shows the football. I watched the Man City v Everton match live and flicked over to see how the red ***** where getting on against Hull. There's a website showing what games are on what channels, can't remember the address off the top of my head but i'll find it and let you know.

Original Poster

NeilGY;3806553

Yes, last weekend was my first at being able to watch the 3pm kick offs … Yes, last weekend was my first at being able to watch the 3pm kick offs :thumbsup:. I find a lot of the matches are on Thor satellite including the Canal + HD sports channel which shows the football. I watched the Man City v Everton match live and flicked over to see how the red ***** where getting on against Hull. There's a website showing what games are on what channels, can't remember the address off the top of my head but i'll find it and let you know.

If you could thanks :thumbsup:

Can i post a link on here or is it best to PM it?

Banned

NeilGY;3806553

Yes, last weekend was my first at being able to watch the 3pm kick offs … Yes, last weekend was my first at being able to watch the 3pm kick offs :thumbsup:. I find a lot of the matches are on Thor satellite including the Canal + HD sports channel which shows the football. I watched the Man City v Everton match live and flicked over to see how the red ***** where getting on against Hull. There's a website showing what games are on what channels, can't remember the address off the top of my head but i'll find it and let you know.

[url]www.liveonsat.com[/url]

Banned

NeilGY;3804298

Cheers guv, that sounds very,very interesting. The box was patched for me … Cheers guv, that sounds very,very interesting. The box was patched for me as well as the cam done, i wanted to start with everything done and learn as i went along. I find it hard to watch channels in SD now after watching footie on Canal HD and films on Canal films HD!!!There isn't much difference between the 6900 & the super is there? The main thing i can find is the 'Blind scan' although that still doesn't mean that much to me yet :thinking:

The main differences between the 6900 and 6900 Super is

(a) Network connectivity
    (b) Front and rear USB

Apart from that, I dont know.

Banned

souljacker;3804532

Personally, I wouldnt bother. I dint think the cam will give you anything extra over your flashed receiver.

Dogcop... does it bring in more than a flashed receiver?

guv;3808153

The main differences between the 6900 and 6900 Super is(a) Network … The main differences between the 6900 and 6900 Super is(a) Network connectivity(b) Front and rear USBApart from that, I dont know.

I was looking into the CCcam you mentioned last night, still haven't read enough on it yet but looks interesting. I'm presuming the 6900 can't use CCcam due to the lack of network connectivity?

Banned

NeilGY;3808188

I was looking into the CCcam you mentioned last night, still haven't read … I was looking into the CCcam you mentioned last night, still haven't read enough on it yet but looks interesting. I'm presuming the 6900 can't use CCcam due to the lack of network connectivity?

Your one can. Mine cant.

I bought an Eagle reveiver 2 weeks ago to test it all out. Yes it does work!!!!!

If everyone thinks they have lots of channels now on mutlisat - multiply that by 10 !!!! ;-)

guv;3808130

[url]www.liveonsat.com[/url]

That's the one :thumbsup:

Banned

I can remember when the site first started. He wanted to make it a supscription / donation site originally.

Lovely Jubbly! ;-)

Original Poster

guv;3808166

Personally, I wouldnt bother. I dint think the cam will give you anything … Personally, I wouldnt bother. I dint think the cam will give you anything extra over your flashed receiver.Dogcop... does it bring in more than a flashed receiver?

ah right, i won't bother then, i'll just see what i get when i get set up, cheers :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions