Installing Nuaire Drimaster.. powering off electric shower power?

Found 12th May
Hi guys. I received the drimaster eco HEAT for the house as we're battling condensation/mould problems. I dont think there' any power sockets in the loft. So this leaves me to either run a power from the lighting which probably won' be sufficient because of the 400w heater (which only comes on below certain temp) or run it off the electric shower. Other than that we have to run a new line from the fuse box to the loft which means either having ugly plastic cable covers or chasing and filling the wall.

Can I please get some advise?

Here's the item I purchased

i-sells.co.uk/mob…BwE
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Good price.

I'd put up with plastic cable covers if it meant goodbye to condensation
why are you having issues, is there no window?
Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (amps)

So a 5 amp lighting circuit can supply 1200W at 240V.

Add up the load you have on the existing upstairs lighting circuit. If necessary switch to LED bulbs and you will probably have less than 100W total on the circuit - hence you should be able to fit the fan/heater safely on the circuit.
Original Poster
Van19732 h, 26 m ago

Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (amps)So a 5 amp lighting …Power (Watts) = Voltage (Volts) x Current (amps)So a 5 amp lighting circuit can supply 1200W at 240V. Add up the load you have on the existing upstairs lighting circuit. If necessary switch to LED bulbs and you will probably have less than 100W total on the circuit - hence you should be able to fit the fan/heater safely on the circuit.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. I asked him to run a new cable but the electrician said same thing as you did. I got around watts in total for lighting upstairs. And the inline fuse for the drimaster is only 3 amps which is nothing. He said the cable setup for lighting can hold a 10x40w bulb chandelier.. and that' just in 1 room. So as i have mainly 5w bulbs I have nothing to worry about. He did the job in 2 hours and now i got fresh filtered air in the hallway. On air speed setting 1-6 I've got it on 5 so it filtered the house ait quick. And in 2 weeks I'll turn it down a little.
montana7818 m ago

Thanks. You are absolutely right. I asked him to run a new cable but the …Thanks. You are absolutely right. I asked him to run a new cable but the electrician said same thing as you did. I got around watts in total for lighting upstairs. And the inline fuse for the drimaster is only 3 amps which is nothing. He said the cable setup for lighting can hold a 10x40w bulb chandelier.. and that' just in 1 room. So as i have mainly 5w bulbs I have nothing to worry about. He did the job in 2 hours and now i got fresh filtered air in the hallway. On air speed setting 1-6 I've got it on 5 so it filtered the house ait quick. And in 2 weeks I'll turn it down a little.

If you dont mind, what was fitting cost?

I need this for next winter
Original Poster
Gollywood17 m ago

If you dont mind, what was fitting cost? I need this for next winter

This guy does all building work for my sister. He did alot of work for me when i moved in 4 years ago. So he only charged me £20 even though it took 2hrs as that's the first time he fitted one of these. I know he'd charge £60 for other people though.

He couldn't fit it to the center of the hallway because of the joist but fitted it as close as possible. All fits together easily he tapped into the junction box where the main upstairs lighting wire goes in. So depending on where your junction box is you'll need extra cable to feed upto the provides inline 3 amp fuse.

He only charged me £20 when he fitted my cooker hood extractor 2 months ago which includes diamond drilling the external double wall.

I'd expect to pay an electrician about £60 for the job?
33789069-TBVHA.jpg33789069-8knNi.jpg33789069-KTQ95.jpg
Original Poster
eslick4 h, 46 m ago

why are you having issues, is there no window?

When it' cold you don't want to be opening windows. It' too cold. Plus it' humid outside too. Doesnt do anything for condensation issue. With this device it filters out all dust pollen too so great for kids and allergy sufferers.

This brings fresh air into the house 24/7 So you never have to open a window again.

I should've really bought this 3yrs ago. There wouldn't have been so much mould issue.
So the wiring was taken from a junction box in the the loft that feeds the lights downstairs? Or something different? (I have no idea about electrics)

Great photos BTW - to see it in place is fantastic. Didn't realise how large the device was!
Edited by: "Gollywood" 13th May
montana788 h, 53 m ago

When it' cold you don't want to be opening windows. It' too cold. Plus it' …When it' cold you don't want to be opening windows. It' too cold. Plus it' humid outside too. Doesnt do anything for condensation issue. With this device it filters out all dust pollen too so great for kids and allergy sufferers. This brings fresh air into the house 24/7 So you never have to open a window again.I should've really bought this 3yrs ago. There wouldn't have been so much mould issue.

But that’s your problem a bathroom needs ventilation, cheaper to open the window and leave it open when you are in the shower and then for a little bit once out. It doesn’t get that cold, the room stays warm with the heat of the shower and even if you close the window while in the shower just open the window after and close the bathroom door. Everyone to their own but there are millions out there who don’t have one of these and don’t have mould.
Original Poster
eslick33 m ago

But that’s your problem a bathroom needs ventilation, cheaper to open the w …But that’s your problem a bathroom needs ventilation, cheaper to open the window and leave it open when you are in the shower and then for a little bit once out. It doesn’t get that cold, the room stays warm with the heat of the shower and even if you close the window while in the shower just open the window after and close the bathroom door. Everyone to their own but there are millions out there who don’t have one of these and don’t have mould.

I have a bathroom timer extractor fan. And I do open the windows when i take a shower then close it after. The fan stays on for 20 mins after as its only a 5w manrose one so not using too much power.

With the nuaire PIV it will push air into the bathroom to push the moisture out the window and extractor fan. Where before some moisture would escape into the hallway and sit there causing mould spores and get round the rest of the house.

There are actually missions of houses that have these fitted.

Alot of landlords including council and housing accociation are fitting these too as clients forget to open windows and house getting mouldy. Saves them alot of money in the long run and tenants are happy too.

Believe me. This is alot money so I did alot of research before I bought this unit. My house was built in 1890 and these houses suffer alot after they have cement render outside, insulation and central heating. So this product does really help.. well, I'll fine out in the next year how it did
Original Poster
Gollywood9 h, 0 m ago

So the wiring was taken from a junction box in the the loft that feeds the …So the wiring was taken from a junction box in the the loft that feeds the lights downstairs? Or something different? (I have no idea about electrics)Great photos BTW - to see it in place is fantastic. Didn't realise how large the device was!

That' right. So there' a line that goes from your fuse box to the loft for the 1st floor lights. From that juncion box the lines are fed to each of the first floor rooms. He tapped into that junction box.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants