Expired

installing openelec on windows xp

Found 24th Oct 2014
I only have one partition with xp home 32bit installed, trying to install openelec and i think i need 3 partitions. Which program should I use to create partitions (also what size should they be - i cant seem to find out and lots of instructions are for linux) I dont want to wipe the drive with xp on-can i create partitions without doing that?
Community Updates
AskWindows
23 Comments
creating partitions means wiping the hard drive. just buy a memory stick and install it to that.
Original Poster
id prefer to run it from the HDD, im making a drive image (just incase) and trying a partition tool ive found, ive read openelec needs 512-1gb partition and another 1gb for swap memory? then theres renaming the drives, but I thought the custome openelec usbstick prog would do all this..hmpf
I just ran mine off a usb stick. very small OS.
Original Poster
It wouldn't install. I tried both openelec 4.2.1 then the next version down. When they both run from usb boot they say they are betas and not tested. It says theres no devices to install to. I've created 2 partitions for it..still nothing. Maybe because they're NTFS.
Original Poster
It does run the media centre from USB stick. But I'd prefer to have a dual boot from HD.
Will try dcx method
Original Poster
It does run the media centre from USB stick. But I'd prefer to have a dual boot from HD.
Will try dcx method
Can I ask why you want to run full blown OpenELEC on this system rather than XBMC in Windows?
Original Poster
Its for the bedroom. Ideally I want it to be primary an xbmc. But with windows on there as backup. I just want to be able to turn it on and get to xbmc 90% of the time quickly with no or little input and maybe use Windows occasionally.
kester76

creating partitions means wiping the hard drive. just buy a memory stick … creating partitions means wiping the hard drive. just buy a memory stick and install it to that.

No it doesn't, there are plenty of programs that can create, resize, merge or delete partitions on a hard drive with an active os. Partition magic is one of the best.
kester76

creating partitions means wiping the hard drive. just buy a memory stick … creating partitions means wiping the hard drive. just buy a memory stick and install it to that.

Disk partitioning, by definition, is an apportionment of a hard drive! Why would this involve wiping the hard drive?

PS. The use of exclamation marks is not an axiom for an angry response, as you pointed out to me earlier. As the word suggests, it is intended as an exclamation!
Original Poster
Will try dcx method
Original Poster
I've kinda got it (xbmcbuntu) working.
I've got 2 x sata drives
320gb with xp
500gb with movies

I installed xbmcbuntu on the 320 with 20gb partition for Ubuntu.
Installed OK with updates etc

Only prob when xbmc loads and runs it doesn't detect the 500gb and I can't seem to find it/read from it. It did when I ran xbmc from USB live stick.
Original Poster
Why can openelec live detect my NTFS 500gb drive and play videos.
but when I install XBMCbuntu on a Hard Drive, it doesnt want to read the 500gb? dafuq
splatsplatsplat

Why can openelec live detect my NTFS 500gb drive and play videos.but when … Why can openelec live detect my NTFS 500gb drive and play videos.but when I install XBMCbuntu on a Hard Drive, it doesnt want to read the 500gb? dafuq

Is the drive external or internal?
Not sure why you'd want to use Openlec anyway as it's a closed system but then again XBMC is bloatware so not much choice....

But as it is your choice....once XBMC is installed you have to tell it what HDD to read your movies from it doesn't do it automatically.

[Also turn off RSS feeds in XBMC it's a resource hog (Amongst other things but RSS is naughty)]

Why not just install Lubuntu (Or another lightweight distro....) and XBMC over the top of it, much easier to update and keep on top of.
Likely2

Not sure why you'd want to use Openlec anyway as it's a closed system but … Not sure why you'd want to use Openlec anyway as it's a closed system but then again XBMC is bloatware so not much choice....But as it is your choice....once XBMC is installed you have to tell it what HDD to read your movies from it doesn't do it automatically.[Also turn off RSS feeds in XBMC it's a resource hog (Amongst other things but RSS is naughty)]Why not just install Lubuntu (Or another lightweight distro....) and XBMC over the top of it, much easier to update and keep on top of.

XBMC is not bloatware at all.
Original Poster
Internal 2nd Sata Drive NTFS

Ive actually got XBMC playing video off a 16gb usb stick in FAT32 and just now NTFS happily.
It wont (or I dont know how to add the 2nd drive in XBMC)
In windows/dos my 2nd drive would be D:\

so my movies folder would be d:\movies
what would that be in linux?

(Ive also put a few vids in the root of the 2nd drive)
splatsplatsplat

Internal 2nd Sata Drive NTFSIve actually got XBMC playing video off a … Internal 2nd Sata Drive NTFSIve actually got XBMC playing video off a 16gb usb stick in FAT32 and just now NTFS happily.It wont (or I dont know how to add the 2nd drive in XBMC)In windows/dos my 2nd drive would be D:\so my movies folder would be d:\movieswhat would that be in linux?(Ive also put a few vids in the root of the 2nd drive)

You should be able to check if the drive is being detected in "Settings -> System Information -> Storage".
Original Poster
The only drive listed is the 20gb Ubuntu partition (main drive is 320gb with windows xp=300gb & ubuntu=20gb) it doesn't show the windows partition or the 2nd drive.
I've tested an external 2.5 drive in a USB caddy. And it detects that fine and various USB sticks.
I might try installing an ide drive and see if that comes up.
Do you have to mount drives in Ubuntu?
DaveTaylor

Disk partitioning, by definition, is an apportionment of a hard drive! … Disk partitioning, by definition, is an apportionment of a hard drive! Why would this involve wiping the hard drive?PS. The use of exclamation marks is not an axiom for an angry response, as you pointed out to me earlier. As the word suggests, it is intended as an exclamation!

In windows 7 but not so easy in windows XP. See support.com/blo…ata
Original Poster
The only drive listed is the 20gb Ubuntu partition (main drive is 320gb with windows xp=300gb & ubuntu=20gb) it doesn't show the windows partition or the 2nd drive.
I've tested an external 2.5 drive in a USB caddy. And it detects that fine and various USB sticks.
I might try installing an ide drive and see if that comes up.
Do you have to mount drives in Ubuntu?
kester76

In windows 7 but not so easy in windows XP. See … In windows 7 but not so easy in windows XP. See http://www.support.com/blog/post/resize-your-hard-drive-partition-without-losing-data

I see you've addressed the inadequacies of your original comment that "creating partitions means wiping the hard drive". Not sure why you've provided me a link to how easy it is to resize partitions in different versions of Windows - I certainly didn't request it and certainly did not make any references as to ease of achieving it under different versions of Windows. Well done for correcting yourself by realising that the hard drive does not need to be wiped!
DaveTaylor

I see you've addressed the inadequacies of your original comment that … I see you've addressed the inadequacies of your original comment that "creating partitions means wiping the hard drive". Not sure why you've provided me a link to how easy it is to resize partitions in different versions of Windows - I certainly didn't request it and certainly did not make any references as to ease of achieving it under different versions of Windows. Well done for correcting yourself by realising that the hard drive does not need to be wiped!

Thank you, I'm very proud of myself about that as well
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions