Installing operating system without a cd??

12 replies
Found 14th Feb 2009
I need some help here. Im getting a laptop soon but it doesn't have a cd drive on it. I would like to know whether i can install an operating system such as linux, ubuntu, perhaps windows from a usb or other form?

If so could someone tell me how?

1. Misc
  2. CD
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. CD
12 Comments

get an external one, thats what i did

yeh external dvd/cd drive

Original Poster

Cluffy321;4382427

get an external one, thats what i did

i thought about that but i'd prefer not to spend

its easy to install from a usb flash drive. this guide is used for installing on an asus eeepc netbook but is the same for any computer with a usb connection

eeeguides.com/200…tml

have used this loads of times its faster than installing from cd

or create a USB stick

Original Poster

wolf359;4382618

its easy to install from a usb flash drive. this guide is used for … its easy to install from a usb flash drive. this guide is used for installing on an asus eeepc netbook but is the same for any computer with a usb connectionhttp://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/installing-windows-xp-from-usb-thumb.htmlhave used this loads of times its faster than installing from cd

is this basically copying the operating system from one computer and putting it on another?

Banned

shanecr;4382505

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

Prerequisites
A running Ubuntu 8.04 or any ubuntu version installation

Banned

As far as I'm aware, you cant install Windows from USB but you can do it for Ubuntu and that...

Also, as the others have said, just get yourself an external USB DVD drive if you want Windows. Quite cheap these days

MacMac;4390610

As far as I'm aware, you cant install Windows from USB but you can do it … As far as I'm aware, you cant install Windows from USB but you can do it for Ubuntu and that...Also, as the others have said, just get yourself an external USB DVD drive if you want Windows. Quite cheap these days

You can (certainly XP anyway) - all you need is the i386 folder from a Windows CD/download. The only requirement is having the option to boot from USB device in bios (which most systems have) and having a suitable USB device to format and use :thumbsup:

Original Poster

jah128;4390830

You can (certainly XP anyway) - all you need is the i386 folder from a … You can (certainly XP anyway) - all you need is the i386 folder from a Windows CD/download. The only requirement is having the option to boot from USB device in bios (which most systems have) and having a suitable USB device to format and use :thumbsup:

what do i do with this folder?

For XP if you can boot into a dos command prompt with access to the i386 folder run 'winnt' to start installation.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition71781
    2. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54

See more discussions