Found 12th May 2007
iv just bought 2 lots of these

ebuyer.com/cus…121

iv just installed one of them,and everythings working fine,but when i install the second one,the computer doesnt start.it goes onto a screen and says how do you want to start your computer

safe mode
safe mode with networking
start computer normally

etc etc

and i click on start normally and then it goes to a blank screen,and nothing happens,then i take the second set of memory out and turn the pc back on and it works again.

Does anyone know what i might be doing wrong.

1. Misc
  2. RAM
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. RAM
14 Comments

How many slots do you have? If 4 put the RAM in slots 1 + 3 for a matched pair.

Original Poster

i have 4 slots,but the 1 and 2 are taken by my original 512mb RAM,what should i do.

Try
1- 1 gig
2 512
3 1 gig
4 512

Two matched pairs should work, if not then we go from there.

Original Poster

i tried that what you written above,turned my computer on and i just gt the big white screen with ACER on,then it went to start computer with...

safe mode
safe mode with...

etc etc

so i choose start normal and it just kept on bringin me back to the big acer screen,in the end i choose all possible options to start the computer and all of them brought me back to the big white acer screen,on the last go i pressed DEL to go into the settings.i looked on "standard CMOS features" and at the bottom it said

base memory: 640K
Extended memory:3144704K
Total Memory: 3145728K

so its telling me that the memorys working because all together i have 3GB of RAM at the time,and the results prove it

so after it didnt work i tried it after taking the RAM out which was in the 4th slot,this was one of the 512M, so the white screen went on i clicked standard CMOS features again and it said

base memory: 640K
Extended memory: 2620416K
Total memory: 2621440K

again its telling me the same results minus the 512M.

So its reading the memory but i havent a clue why its not letting me start up with all 4 lots in

so at the moment i have 255MB,(looked on system on control panel)

Sloth/Mod

Have you tried both new of your new RAM sticks seperately to make sure that one of them isn't faulty?

Or tried JUST the 2 1 gig sticks? (in slots 1 n 3)

Original Poster

did i mention that its working now with

1GB IN SLOT 1
512M IN SLOT 2
1GB IN SLOT 3

It seems when i put something in slot 4 it doesnt work

what conbination of slots can i use with slot 4 to see if slot 4 is broken,i.e

1 gig in slot 2
1 gig in slot 4

512M in slot 1
512m in slot 4

etc etc

If both the new sticks are working and nothing works in slot four it may well just be a dodgy slot.. Is mobo in warranty? / Is it worth hassle of changeover as 2.5 v 3 gig isnt a massive differance (even on vista).

Original Poster

ye i surpose its not a big difference,is there a way i can defo check that its broken. any programs that will asess my ful computer etc

is there a combo which will include slot 4,that way i can find out if its dodgy or not.

i have the acer warranty,what would be the process of them fixing it,would it take like 2 weeks etc

Crucial memory checker scans your slots so it may pick a problem with the slot or think one doesn't exist at all.

Worth a try at ]Crucial, just click on scan my system

Sloth/Mod

If all your sticks work individually when you test them then i'd say that slot 4 is definately damaged or faulty. Try checking the pins are not damaged on slot 4. Failing that then it would have to go back to be repaired where they'll fit a new motherboard although you'll need to check you haven't invalidated your warranty by opening the case.

Original Poster

i dont know if the link will work,but can you see my results

crucial.com/sys…me=

its says i have 1 available slot

and it has the 4 boxes,3 of them detail the RAM whats in it and 1 says empty

Original Poster

i rang them before opening it,they said im covered aslong as nothings damaged caused by me,do they come out and fit it or do i send it off

Sloth/Mod

jim4571

i rang them before opening it,they said im covered aslong as nothings … i rang them before opening it,they said im covered aslong as nothings damaged caused by me,do they come out and fit it or do i send it off

Depends on what type of warranty you have. It will either be 'At Home' or 'Return to Base'. Should say on your warranty slip. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best renewal with sky after last offer22
    2. Jacket recommendations.22
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person620
    4. Items broken from argos - will I get replacement or refund?55

See more discussions