Installing SSD on Dell Laptop

Found 17th Jan
Hi. Wondering if anyone could advise.
I've inserted the Sandisk SSD in my Dell 5779 laptop however not clear on what I need to do to make Windows to boot from the SSD rather than the slower HDD. There was unclear advice online for this particular laptop. If anyone has any tips, please feel free to share. Thanks!
Community Updates
AskElectronics
9 Comments
I did this 3 months ago. You have to make the disk bootable on another PC using a USB/SATA attachment cable. A long involved process which is on Google somewhere but I cant remember where. Sorry

Before you do it, allow me to suggest you partition your drive into C: (125gb for WIndows) and D: (the rest for data). That way, if you ever reinstall Windows, as is necessary from time to time, you don't wipe your data. You can also backup both more easily.
Did you clone the HDD to the new SSD before putting it in the lappy ?
I suggest if you didn't then do it and you should find the lappy will boot with no problem.
How do you get 2 hdd into a laptop?.
st8mike7 h, 14 m ago

Did you clone the HDD to the new SSD before putting it in the lappy ?I …Did you clone the HDD to the new SSD before putting it in the lappy ?I suggest if you didn't then do it and you should find the lappy will boot with no problem.

No I haven't really done anything apart from inserting the ssd in the laptop. What would be the best way to clone it?
markvirgo1 h, 40 m ago

How do you get 2 hdd into a laptop?.

In this case there is only one hdd. The other is ssd. Each have their own separate space where to be inserted.
So is the ssd blank?
Uranus18th Jan

So is the ssd blank?

Like I mentioned in the description, I have inserted the ssd in the laptop's ssd slot. The hdd has its own slot and was already installed in the laptop. The question was how to now boot Windows from the ssd.
Are you sure on the model number and are you trying to add an SD card to make it bootable as I cant find a dell laptop with a Sata and a seperate SSD slot which is still a sata conection.
markvirgo21 h, 15 m ago

Are you sure on the model number and are you trying to add an SD card to …Are you sure on the model number and are you trying to add an SD card to make it bootable as I cant find a dell laptop with a Sata and a seperate SSD slot which is still a sata conection.

Yep. It is this version but without pre-installed ssd and only 8GB ram:
notebookcheck.net/Del…tml
Edited by: "radzy" 19th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions