Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Installing VPN on router

Posted 8th Dec 2019
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to install a VPN on my router which is the EE smart hub. I want to make sure before I purchase a 1 year etc plan that it will work.

I've searched on line and can't find a definitive answer if the EE hub supports it or a setup guide, is anyone able to let me know if it will work before I waste money, or would I need to replace the EE hub with another router?

cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
You can’t install a VPN on that router you’d have to replace it with one that supports openvpn or the like.
deleted1471098
Just put the vpn on your devices.
deleted1471098
rogan179108/12/2019 19:14

Device doesn't support VPN.

Buy new device then or buy new router
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 8th Dec 2019
Dannyrobbo08/12/2019 18:04

You can’t install a VPN on that router you’d have to replace it with one th …You can’t install a VPN on that router you’d have to replace it with one that supports openvpn or the like.

Cheers! Don't suppose you know of any decent priced ones?
rogan179108/12/2019 19:15

Cheers! Don't suppose you know of any decent priced ones?

you can get a pretty cheap router that you can do that on, installing ddwrt. But I don’t know any cheaper ones I could recommend I’m sure somebody else will have a better idea. Though I could maybe help offer a solution if you let me know what you want to use it for?
I would recommend not buying a cheap one, by definition a vpn encrypts it’s connection which is resource intensive, so to get a good connection it would be worth spending a bit extra.
Why do you need a vpn on a browser anyway
Misly08/12/2019 20:23

Why do you need a vpn on a browser anyway

I never mentioned anything about a browser?
mds125608/12/2019 20:03

I would recommend not buying a cheap one, by definition a vpn encrypts …I would recommend not buying a cheap one, by definition a vpn encrypts it’s connection which is resource intensive, so to get a good connection it would be worth spending a bit extra.

Cheers that makes sense
I bought a tiny Lenovo think centre for this purpose. Installed VPN app on windows then shared the connection via ethernet to my device. Can also create a wireless VPN hotspot. PC cost £50 then stuck in an SSD to speed it up!
deleted1447778
Put me out of my misery and tell me what device you have that doesn't support a vpn?
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 8th Dec 2019
All sorted, cheers @Dannyrobbo
MT198008/12/2019 20:38

I bought a tiny Lenovo think centre for this purpose. Installed VPN app on …I bought a tiny Lenovo think centre for this purpose. Installed VPN app on windows then shared the connection via ethernet to my device. Can also create a wireless VPN hotspot. PC cost £50 then stuck in an SSD to speed it up!

A £6.50 Raspberry Pi Zero could have done the same though...

Anyway op, either get a cheap mini gl.inet router, a raspberry pi or a bt hh5/plusnet hub one running open wrt (about £20 on ebay).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions