Installing Windows 10 64Bit

Posted 10th Jul
hi guys having an absolute nightmare I have a new hd in my laptop so when I power it on it says 'no bootable device' I need to make a boot disk via USB but the only laptop I have is a very old laptop running Windows xp. every time I format this usb stick using FAT32 it says there is not enough memory for ISO and when I try using another format the other laptop doesn't detect the boot disk if that makes sense. is there a way to create the boot disk using windows xp and a 16 gb flast drive. thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Would have been easier to create the bootable USB before you put the new HDD in. Can you put the old one back in to do this?
samspud10/07/2020 19:05

Would have been easier to create the bootable USB before you put the new …Would have been easier to create the bootable USB before you put the new HDD in. Can you put the old one back in to do this?

I wish the old one failed and got the blue screen and became unreadable so have had to order a new one. I've managed to download Rufus onto the xp system and am hoping this time it works
I think it needs to be NTFS for a windows 10 install, have you tried using the windows 10 install tool go to microsoft.com/en-…s10 and click on the Download tool box below where it says Create Windows 10 installation media
harlzter10/07/2020 19:07

I think it needs to be NTFS for a windows 10 install, have you tried using …I think it needs to be NTFS for a windows 10 install, have you tried using the windows 10 install tool go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and click on the Download tool box below where it says Create Windows 10 installation media

Was my first go to but xp doesn't support windows downloader this is where I'm at now hopefully this works
41353644-pdK1r.jpg
Jon_Dent10/07/2020 19:09

Was my first go to but xp doesn't support windows downloader this is where …Was my first go to but xp doesn't support windows downloader this is where I'm at now hopefully this works [Image]

That's the way to go, assuming your lappy will happily boot from the specific brand of USB device.
AndyRoyd10/07/2020 19:13

That's the way to go, assuming your lappy will happily boot from the …That's the way to go, assuming your lappy will happily boot from the specific brand of USB device.

Now it won't boot this usb it was booting it before but all the windows files weren't there because of the file limit. I give in now haha
Jon_Dent10/07/2020 19:30

Now it won't boot this usb it was booting it before but all the windows …Now it won't boot this usb it was booting it before but all the windows files weren't there because of the file limit. I give in now haha

As a final attempt: re-make the USB same as before but this time select << GPT >> dropdown in Partition Scheme.
AndyRoyd10/07/2020 19:38

As a final attempt: re-make the USB same as before but this time select << …As a final attempt: re-make the USB same as before but this time select << GPT >> dropdown in Partition Scheme.

So I changed boot mode to legacy and it has picked it up fingers crossed because I'm debating throwing the laptop hahaha! This is the furthest I have got !
41353964-Gud2s.jpg
Jon_Dent10/07/2020 19:41

So I changed boot mode to legacy and it has picked it up fingers crossed …So I changed boot mode to legacy and it has picked it up fingers crossed because I'm debating throwing the laptop hahaha! This is the furthest I have got ![Image]

Should be fine from there on
AndyRoyd10/07/2020 19:45

Should be fine from there on

Got it working that's a lot for the help man so glad thought I'd never find a work around
If you had kept it on UEFI boot and used GPT in rufus Windows would boot slightly faster, but not really worth changing if you are happy with it now.
So, the lesson for the OP and anyone else reading this is to:-

1. Create an image of your Windows 10 system and burn it to USB disc drive/network drive/DVDs
2, Create Recovery Drive on USB memory stick. (16GB)
3. Implement a file backup regime for your system so copies of your files/data are stored in 3 extra places - a) External USB drivekept close to hand b) External USB drive stored off premises and c) in the cloud
4. Do 1 and 2 twice per year after Windows 10 has installed its feature updates on your machine (June and December should be fine)

When (not if) disaster strikes you have a better chance of recovering with least hassle.
Post a comment
@
    Text