Installing Windows 10 on another SSD

Found 20th Dec 2017
I've got an ageing Toshiba C660 1F1 Laptop.

It had a 120GB SSD in it, and I saw a deal on here for a 240GB SSD. Needing a bit more space I thought it would be a good idea.

The laptop does not have a CD drive, it has 2 hard disk bays instead.

I don't want to clone the current drive, I want to take the opportunity to install a fresh copy of Windows 10.

I've tried to make a USB Bootable Installation, but it won't boot.

I've updated the BIOS.
I've made other bootable usb drives (using rufus - which work)
I've tried using rufus to put the iso on a usb drive which doesn't work
I've tried different usb drives

Any ideas on how I can install a clean copy without being able to boot the installation media? Any way to do it from within windows?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
You could also start your operational copy and choose Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started, then pick the "Remove everything" option to start fresh.
If win 10 is on original ssd you'd only need to clone that drive and make the new one the bootable one or am I missing something?
Edited by: "MichyM" 20th Dec 2017
Try sardu
DJDunk21 m ago

Have you tried this? …Have you tried this? https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Yes, tried the tool from Microsoft but it won't boot.

DJDunk15 m ago

You could also start your operational copy and choose Settings > Update & …You could also start your operational copy and choose Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started, then pick the "Remove everything" option to start fresh.

I wanted to keep the current SSD as a back up just in case I forgot about a program or need to get back to the system as it is.
MichyM12 m ago

If win 10 is on original ssd you'd only need to clone that drive and make …If win 10 is on original ssd you'd only need to clone that drive and make the new one the bootable one or am I missing something?

I didn't want to clone it, the current drive has been in for a few years and Windows is getting a bit clogged up. So I wanted to install a clean fresh copy to the new drive. However as above I want to keep the current one just in case there are any bits I've forgotten about.

The SSD isn't original to the laptop so I must have manged some how in the past! I think I probably installed Windows 7 on it then upgraded to windows 10.
craigstephens13 m ago

Try sardu

Just googled it, now making one, will see if it works
Can't you run the installer from windows and select custom install, the select the new drive?
bryanhaines39913 m ago

Can't you run the installer from windows and select custom install, the …Can't you run the installer from windows and select custom install, the select the new drive?

No, it doesn't seem to give that option at all.
craigstephens1 h, 17 m ago

Try sardu

Same with Sardu, it won't boot.
When you say you tried a USB bootable but it didn't work do you mean you couldn't get it to boot from the USB or that what was on the USB wouldn't boot?
I've used linux live to make bootable USB drives in the past, just had a look and it should be okay to make a windows 10 bootable

Do the contents of the USB drive look correct? bootmgr in the root of the drive etc?

Have you tried alternative USB ports?
Buy a cheap usb cd Rom or clone on a different pc as a second drive and new ssd as 3rd drive tho you would need to do it on a desktop pc
Tried all the USB ports and a variety of USB drives.

If I make a basic FreeDos Bootable drive, then it boots no problem.
If I make a Plop Bootable drive then it boots no problem.

If I make a windows 10 install bootable drive then it will not boot. I've tried a variety of ways some say it failed, others it just goes into a loop of starting to boot from the usb then a second later the computer restarts.

I've just found an old DVD Writer from years ago, and found that it fits in the laptop 2nd HDD bay (badly - the fascia doesn't line up and I can't screw it in!) which I'm going to try and burn an ISO to, then boot from that. Fingers crossed!
Try setting sata mode in bios to basic or ide or anything but ahci. I used to image these laptops years ago using windows server wds and there was something funny in bios that needed changing.
The DVD did the trick, nice fresh install of Windows 10 running now.

Now to fill it up again with all the software!

Thanks for the replies.
YouTube? It can be informative....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions