Groups

Instant joke: just add... humour?

Ok, so you know the joke, "Instant human: just add coffee". You often find it printed on the side of a coffee mug, as a fun mug to have around the office. The joke clearly only works due to the extension of "Instant Coffee: just add hot water" that you often find printed on the label of a jar containing Instant Coffee.

Now one of my colleagues has a teapot that says "Instant Human: just add tea". In my mind this clearly cannot work as a joke as there is not, as far as I'm aware a company selling tea with the advice: "Instant Tea: just add water", so the basis for finding that joke surely doesn't work.

What's more is that some of my colleagues seem to find it funny, and when I explained the origin of the joke to them, they didn't understand and thought that it had nothing to do with the label on the coffee and that it was funny in it's own right. You can only truly appreciate the joke if you know the origin of it, otherwise it's like those situations where you enter a joke right at the end and laugh anyway despite not understanding what's funny.

What do you think? Is "Instant Human: just add tea" a joke in it's own right or not, and if it is, is it more funny if you know the original context of the joke upon which it is "based"?

Something to chew over, in addition to your lunch

Josh

49 Comments

lol

I thought my office was dull!

Indeed, "He who laughs last probably doesn't understand the joke".

I'm still finding this funny...

r3tract

What's more is that my colleagues some of my colleagues seem to find it … What's more is that my colleagues some of my colleagues seem to find it funny...

All this aside, you can obtain "instant tea" that, ironically, is dispensed from our "coffee machine".

PS. Are Disabled toilets really not working?

BFN,

fp.

You need to change jobs

If you add a tea bag to water you get tea instantly

Dantooine

You already had tea in the tea bag.

BFN,

fp.

why can't it be a joke because it's a play on the "Instant human, just add coffee" joke?

Original Poster

The highlight of my day so far is when.. oh no wait, it's just been an exceptionally dull day..

cdm22

I thought my office was dull!:D

r3tract

What's more is that my colleagues some of my colleagues seem to find it … What's more is that my colleagues some of my colleagues seem to find it funny...

Dantooine

You need to change jobs

Some_Bloke

Instant … Instant Tea:http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/product.asp?id=1415http://www.whittard.co.uk/store/catalogue/Instant-Tea-P4000/Joke now officially funny. :-)

Dantooine

I like that (BTW I've corrected the typographical error)

Would do, but I probably wouldn't find one as exciting as this one again...

That's all well and good, but does it have a notice saying "Instant Tea, just add water", otherwise the joke fails... again.

See fanpages comment #7, besides the point is that they (my colleagues) didn't understand the origin of the joke, so I was amused to find that they still found it as funny.

Josh

Original Poster

tommay

why can't it be a joke because it's a play on the "Instant human, just … why can't it be a joke because it's a play on the "Instant human, just add coffee" joke?

Possibly, but then it doesn't really make sense; a joke made about another joke only works if the first joke has been properly understood and the second joke is "taking the mickey" out of the first. This isn't the case here, so I wouldn't consider it to be a joke.

Josh

How about "instant contented woman, just add chocolate"

r3tract

(BTW I've corrected the typographical error)

BTW (comma) what typographical error?

BFN,

fp.

Instant human, just add concrete

Original Poster

fanpages

BTW (comma) what typographical error?BFN,fp.

Oh... harr harr

Josh

Original Poster

fanpages

FYI:[http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/instant-_-just-add/867601 ]BFN,fp.

I've not found any of them funny... yet.

Josh

fanpages

FYI:[http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/instant-_-just-add/867601 ]

r3tract

I've not found any of them funny... yet.Josh

"The thread you are trying to view has been marked as spam."

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

The Spam Hammer is at work again..

Josh

Aww, I was just about to post a really good one then it got spammed.

Instant Energy: just add mc2! - Come on, that is funny

r3tract

The Spam Hammer is at work again..Josh

Log it in the official Feedback thread:

Spamming gone wild?

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

To be fair.. the two threads were on separate topics:

This one - the question of whether the "Instant ____: Just add ____" phrases are indeed jokes. The other - to find one that was actually funny by listing our "favourites".

Josh

r3tract

The Spam Hammer is at work again..Josh

You just said in the OP that only Instant Human, just add coffee is a joke, and any other variation on that is not funny. Then, a few minutes later, you decide you want some more of the 'jokes' that you were just complaining about.

Original Poster

peodude

You just said in the OP that only Instant Human, just add coffee is a … You just said in the OP that only Instant Human, just add coffee is a joke, and any other variation on that is not funny. Then, a few minutes later, you decide you want some more of the 'jokes' that you were just complaining about.

I was trying to find out, if anyone could come up with one that was funny on it's own merit, hence starting the second thread. I might then be able to apreciate why my colleagues find the teapot with the 'joke' on funny.

Josh

Original Poster

PhearFactor

Aww, I was just about to post a really good one then it got … Aww, I was just about to post a really good one then it got spammed.Instant Energy: just add mc2! - Come on, that is funny

You actually need to "Multiply" mc^2 not "add".

Josh

P.S The cat doesn't happen to belong to Schrödinger does it?
    Edited by: "r3tract" 3rd Feb 2011

Original Poster

cannyscot

instant contented woman, just add chocolate

In my case at the moment that would be:

"Instant contented woman: just add Rollercoaster Tycoon."

Josh

r3tract

...P.S The cat doesn't happen to belong to Schrödinger does it?

Q: What is the difference between a cat & a comma?

A: One has the paws before the claws, the other has the clause before the pause.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

In that case my parents' kitten is definitely a comma and not a cat, the claws definitely come before the paws!

Josh

r3tract

You actually need to "Multiply" mc^2 not "add".

Bah, fine. How about; Instant Soup, just add Heinz.

You need to get out more dawg.

Instant iation; just add an erroneous space character.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

fanpages

Instant iation; just add an erroneous space character.BFN,fp.

Now you've lost me... AV ..iation?

Josh

Original Poster

Instant Mass Affix(Effect; the erroneous part)-iation? (Would be apt given how long I played it for yesterday).

Josh

Have I woken up in the twilight zone

r3tract

Now you've lost me... AV ..iation?Josh

Remove the space between "Instant" & "iation".

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

...or "Instant Dev("Sev", or Sevchenko the "space character" from the Killzone series, changed to Dev being the "erroneous" part)-iation."

The instant deviation being you playing the Killzone 3 beta?

Josh

Original Poster

fanpages

Remove the space between "Instant" & "iation".BFN,fp.

Haha! I was thinking about that way too hard.

I still think that my explanation in post #35 is better than the real one and is (to me) more intellectually satisfying.

Josh

r3tract

...or "Instant Dev("Sev" or Sevchenko from the Killzone series changed to … ...or "Instant Dev("Sev" or Sevchenko from the Killzone series changed to Dev being the error)-iation."The instant deviation being you playing the Killzone 3 beta?Josh

Ahhh... I see what you were thinking.

No, by "space character" I meant the symbol displayed when you press the long key on your computer's keyboard.

BFN,

fp.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/boabbyrab/imagesCATA30A1.jpg

boabbyrab

...and you're a part of it. Humorous, no?

Instant thread-death... just add images.

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

fanpages

...and you're a part of it. Humorous, no? :)Instant thread-death... just … ...and you're a part of it. Humorous, no? :)Instant thread-death... just add images.BFN,fp.

Hahaha, now that one actually did make me laugh.

Irony triumphs.

Josh
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846180
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764241
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31144
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is67

See more discussions