Groups

Insurance Black Box

My 17 year old daughter has just passed her driving test and I want to add her to my car insurance. Direct Line want £707 extra for the year with a black box and £970 without one. I will still be the main driver. I only drive 6000 miles a year but about half of that is motorway driving, and some will be late at night. There will be no way of knowing who is driving so all the driving by everyone will be taken into account at the end of the year.

They have no restrictions on driving times etc. but I want to know whether the fact that 50% of my driving is on the motorway will affect my premium at the end of the year if I use a black box. Will the potential saving of £263 on this year's premium be wiped out because of it ? I can't find any way of finding out what sort of monetary saving can be made for next year if I have a black box for this year.

Does anyone have any experience of this and can help me ? Thanks

21 Comments

It's worthwhile asking direct line what they measure.

I have one fitted as I do a lot of miles and it comes back low risk every month which will save me money at the end of the year when I renew (well hoping)

Motorway driving is generally considered the safest by insurers. They will also take the time of the day into account so if you drive during busy times it will be more expensive than quieter times.

Can Direct Line give any guarantee or assurance that the saving won't all be offset?

I had black box with insure the box. so much cheaper.. how it worked out was u can gain extra miles a month so u can have more than 6000miles a year at no extra cost. U check portal online and they reward u if u drive well every month eg motorway driving ( as safer) , time u drive ( if not during the nite) , I found it so easy to gain extra miles without even realising

without knowing exactly what directline measure, its difficult to examine but night time driving is usually seen as higher risk.

however, for a £263 difference, for the peace of mind, it might be worth just paying it. i know if it was me i'd rather pay the difference.

Why don't you just phone them up and ask.. Be so much quicker and reliable than asking on here

Agree u should phone them , id go with the box if you're just concerned bout motorway driving- they see that as safer. I cant see premium going up next year that drastically but if it did surely ud go elsewhere.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I did ask Direct Line this morning before asking on here, but they couldn't give me any sort of answers as to the effect it would have on the premium for next year - so I was trying to find out what other people's experiences were.

However, the fact that some of you have mentioned that motorway driving is safer anyway might just sway me in favour of the box. I don't do much night time driving either. Virtually all of my motorway driving is off peak and my commute is short and not in a city at all.

So I guess, all this points to having the box - looks like I'll have to drive sensibly myself (as well as my daughter) for the next 12 months !

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but who supplies the black box, is it supplied by the insurance company or do you have to get it and install it yourself? And, does it have to be installed before the insurance commences?

Original Poster

Beebee18

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but who supplies the black box, … I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but who supplies the black box, is it supplied by the insurance company or do you have to get it and install it yourself? And, does it have to be installed before the insurance commences?

It's provided by the insurance company. As for your other questions - that depends on the insurance company. According to Direct Line they send it to you with instructions on how to fit it but someone at work says they are waiting for the insurance company to come and do it for them. Direct Line said you have 28 days (I think) to fit it but Marmalade Young Drivers Insurance says you can't drive the car until it's fitted.

I think the time on insure the box was 11pm-4am

Original Poster

coopern1

That's good to know - generally speaking I'm not often out at that time, a few times a year coming back from a football match, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My other half passed his test 2 years ago at the age of 33, so he was offered a black box for 3 months with Bell, he got gold standard driving every week and ended up with 99% good driving standard so we were expecting a decent reduction in car insurance...he got £2.09 reduction a week....a grand total of £8.36 a month!!! We were paying around £126 a month at first. Pathetic... Not worth it!!

coopern1

It's also between 5-6pm (rush hour) pretty rubbish if you have a job where you are travelling home at that time.

Both my boys have black box insurance, one with Tesco and other with insure the box (owned by same company)

Both don't earn bonus miles as they drive between 5-6pm

pink_elephant

My other half passed his test 2 years ago at the age of 33, so he was … My other half passed his test 2 years ago at the age of 33, so he was offered a black box for 3 months with Bell, he got gold standard driving every week and ended up with 99% good driving standard so we were expecting a decent reduction in car insurance...he got £2.09 reduction a week....a grand total of £8.36 a month!!! We were paying around £126 a month at first. Pathetic... Not worth it!!

For some people a black box significantly reduces the premium.

£1140 for 1st year for my oldest boy, £3000 without but has to be paid up front. His 2nd year the premium was down to £670 with the box.

£1200 for my 2nd son and just over £3000 again without the box.

derbyshireterrier

It's provided by the insurance company. As for your other questions - … It's provided by the insurance company. As for your other questions - that depends on the insurance company. According to Direct Line they send it to you with instructions on how to fit it but someone at work says they are waiting for the insurance company to come and do it for them. Direct Line said you have 28 days (I think) to fit it but Marmalade Young Drivers Insurance says you can't drive the car until it's fitted.

Thank you, that's helped a lot.

derbyshireterrier

That's good to know - generally speaking I'm not often out at that time, … That's good to know - generally speaking I'm not often out at that time, a few times a year coming back from a football match, so that shouldn't be a problem.

​I work for the company who fit the Boxes for Insure the box and many others. They give you a time slot between 8-12 and 12- 5. The engineer 9 times out of 10 will call when on way and give you a time so you don't have to wait in all day. Unless working down same street.

sorry replied to wrong comment, but unless you state you only drive during the day when taking out policy you will be fine. Call them and they will give you everything you need to know before you proceed.

takethatfan1978

It's also between 5-6pm (rush hour) pretty rubbish if you have a job … It's also between 5-6pm (rush hour) pretty rubbish if you have a job where you are travelling home at that time.Both my boys have black box insurance, one with Tesco and other with insure the box (owned by same company) Both don't earn bonus miles as they drive between 5-6pm

It must have changed as i got bonus miles every month and im always drivng between 5-6 pm

coopern1

It must have changed as i got bonus miles every month and im always … It must have changed as i got bonus miles every month and im always drivng between 5-6 pm

Been that way for at least a year and a half, bit annoying really as one of my boys especially has everything green apart from the time of day. Shouldn't really penalise people who need to drive during rush hour for work.

The only time my oldest boy earned bonus miles was when his car never moved for 7 weeks after he shattered his leg!

Original Poster

I've decided to go with the black box, have sorted it all out now. Thanks for everyone's input.

My personal policy is to stay away from black boxes... insurance is a legalised racket as it is and providing added data to insurance companies will no doubt be used against users should a need to make a claim arise.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Replacement for BT Hub 522
      2. Gutters, painting11
      3. Hifi Speaker cable choice?22
      4. Anyone play memory games?11

See more discussions