insurance claim for bath, thoughts wanted

Found 9th Aug 2011
I dropped a new bar of soap in my bath accidently and it cracked the bottom of my bath recently. I have accidental damage on my insurance so I am trying to claim, my bath is an obsolete colour and was going to cost almost £1000 to replace so I had to have the loss adjusters come out to look. They contacted me afterwards and said that in their opinion a bar of soap would not crack an acrylic bath and therefore the bath must have weakened over the years and they are trying to get out of paying me to replace the bath. Has anyone ever heard of an insurance refusal because acrylic weakens over the years? I feel that if the bath had weakened then, it would be more likely to break if you dropped a bottle of shampoo or similar into the end of the bath that you actually step into and lie against, rather than it cracking after dropping a bar of soap (which is like a small brick when new) into the tap end of the bath where no one stands or gets into the bath. Any thoughts on this or whether you can appeal against a refusal if thats what my insurance company decided?
Community Updates
MiscBathroomInsurance
41 Comments
How much for a non-obsolete colour?

Baths are very cheap

Banned
Stop using cement blocks instead of soap. Problem solved.
If they refuse your claim, see if you can find a no win/no fee loss adjuster or solicitor to take on your claim. If you can't then the odds are you have no hope of winning. If you can find one then a letter from a solicitor/loss adjuster is often enough to persuade insurance companies that it's not worth arguing over a relatively (to them) minor amount.
Banned
Soap cracks bath? Serious?
Either you use a soap which weighs 10kg or you dropped it from a height of the eiffell tower o.O
Is there a "Jokes" thread anywhere that this topic could be placed.
Banned
dimebars

Soap cracks bath? Serious?

Maybe they ment bath bomb
Ellie Phant

Is there a "Jokes" thread anywhere that this topic could be placed.

Misc
Was the Bar of soap actually a hammer and was the force used more then gravity?

going to cost almost £1000 to replace

get a whole new bathroom then... for less
Banned
Insurance company are spot on. Why should I pay more because you're an idiot
Original Poster
Its a serious thread, the soap slipped out of my hand, up in the air and into the bath (actual drop from about 5ft in the air), no crack in bath before this, crack in bath after the soap hit! but my question really was has anyone ever heard of acrylic baths weakening over the years so that anything really would crack the bath if dropped into it? A bit of advice for people claiming in the future, dont tell the truth, lie and say you dropped something heavier in the bath. I pay my insurance all these years and have problems claiming for something that was accidentally broken and have now been without a bath for over 3 weeks whilst Im waiting for inurance to get back to me on whether they will pay or not........not really that funny!
Original Poster
tony_s1

If they refuse your claim, see if you can find a no win/no fee loss … If they refuse your claim, see if you can find a no win/no fee loss adjuster or solicitor to take on your claim. If you can't then the odds are you have no hope of winning. If you can find one then a letter from a solicitor/loss adjuster is often enough to persuade insurance companies that it's not worth arguing over a relatively (to them) minor amount.

Thanks for taking my query seriously and your reply, I will follow your advice and enquire about a no win no fee solicitor I think if they wont pay out.
everyone knows...

http://jokemail.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/the-soap-don-t-drop-the-soap-demotivational-poster-1207342988.jpg
Banned
Seriously though?

You think they owe you something?
Original Poster
DAMNOME

get a whole new bathroom then... for less

Thats what the insurance company originally said they would probably do, even after I told them what happened, it is the loss adjuster they sent out who is saying in their opinion a bar of soap would crack a bath, they are wrong and it did but that doesnt get my claim paid!
Original Poster
dimebars

Insurance company are spot on. Why should I pay more because you're an … Insurance company are spot on. Why should I pay more because you're an idiot

I pay my insurance, I have accidental damage, which it was..........explain why that makes me an idiot, and my insurance is hiked like everyone elses every year but I still pay even though their are a lot of people fraudently claiming which I am not!
Unless you been using some sort of acid against it can't see how unless someones been jumping in.
riot ..... take a few mates so u can get the bath back to urs
Original Poster
tinkerbell28

A grand for an acrylic bath! Broken by a bar of soap. You wonder why the … A grand for an acrylic bath! Broken by a bar of soap. You wonder why the insurance company think you are having a laugh?

the loss adjuster told me that they had paid out recently for an obsolete bath that cost over £1000, they have to be specially made which is why they are so expensive. I would have been happy with a settlement and could have got a new white complete suite instead. If the claim was so laughable why didnt the insurance company say that in the first place, had it been under £500 they would have paid out without even looking at it, even though I told them how it happened?
Original Poster
Adam2050

Unless you been using some sort of acid against it can't see how unless … Unless you been using some sort of acid against it can't see how unless someones been jumping in.

No, no acid and no jumping in, I just think as it was a square shape bar of soap that hadnt been used that it was the way that it hit the bath when it came down that cracked it, its only a small crack but it is in the bottom of the bath and enough for the water to have come through my ceiling, not much damage to ceiling but enough to need re-artexing and enough to not be able to use the bath, which is difficult when you have 2 kids aswell in the house.
LOL @ bar of soap cracking a bath.

What type of soap were you using OP, Lead?
Is this your soap? Your text here
Insurance companies hate to pay out so lets be honest if you were in their shoes would you honestly believe that a bar of soap cracked a bath - as you can see no one on here believes your story so an insurance guy definitely isn't going to. If anything they will only give you minimal amount if anything at all
DAZ - the soap you can believe in !!
If you accidental damage cover and you did damage it with a bar of soap (hmmmmmm) then why didn't you say you just fell in the bath an cracked it? The bar of soap story just sounds unbelievable.
I bet the insurance company **** themselves. Reminds me of jasper carrott and his list of insurance claims. Ya know like the one. ''The tree wasnt there before, so I hit it''
Original Poster
electriclinux

If you accidental damage cover and you did damage it with a bar of soap … If you accidental damage cover and you did damage it with a bar of soap (hmmmmmm) then why didn't you say you just fell in the bath an cracked it? The bar of soap story just sounds unbelievable.

Because I was brought up to be honest and thats how it got cracked, it may sound unbelievable but it is true, moral of the story obviously is that it doesnt pay to be honest, if I was going to make something up I would have said I dropped a glass or something as its right next to the sink and would have been believable, however, I will stick to honesty, at least I can live with myself, even if I dont have a bath and cant afford to get one either.
Original Poster
New Born

Is this your soap? :pYour text here

No, it wasnt but maybe I would be believed if it it had of been-lol!
I dropped, or should i say my missus dropped a bottle in the bath & cracked it, I went through the insurance, but they said they wouldn't pay out on a complete suite, only the bath & as the suite wasn't white, It would have looked odd with a white bath, so I said not to bother & replaced it myself, in fact i replaced the whole suite.
When you dropped the soap, I guess you got luckyand bumped your head and forgot hence your last memory was dropping the soap..!!!
If you get caught making false claims to your insurance company and it goes to court , It could be a massive fine or a sentence of "Life Buoy"
Edited by: "markjohnson" 9th Aug 2011
Acrylic is a polymer.
there are two types of polymer, addition like polythene and condensation like nylon.
Condensation polymers as the name implies are formed by the loss of a molecule of water. Over the years a process called hydrolysis takes place and the polymer degrades. This is why car/cycle seats split.
Try to find out if your bath contains such polymers and how they would degrade, then contact the insurance ombudsman and as suggested a no-win no fee solicitor.
Hope this helps.
Original Poster
sowotsdis

Acrylic is a polymer.there are two types of polymer, addition like … Acrylic is a polymer.there are two types of polymer, addition like polythene and condensation like nylon.Condensation polymers as the name implies are formed by the loss of a molecule of water. Over the years a process called hydrolysis takes place and the polymer degrades. This is why car/cycle seats split.Try to find out if your bath contains such polymers and how they would degrade, then contact the insurance ombudsman and as suggested a no-win no fee solicitor.Hope this helps.

Thanks for this, I will make some enquiries. One of my neighbours works at a bathroom factory so when he returns from his hols I will ask if he knows anyone at work who might be able to help me out with finding out about the polymer as you suggest.
I think that many of you have been very harsh with the OP.

He seems genuine to me, he pays for accidental cover, so why should the insurers not reinstate his bathroom to an acceptable standard?
Inactive

I think that many of you have been very harsh with the OP.He seems … I think that many of you have been very harsh with the OP.He seems genuine to me, he pays for accidental cover, so why should the insurers not reinstate his bathroom to an acceptable standard?

I would suspect their argument would be on the grounds that a bar of soap alone could not have caused the damage and it is more likely due to a previous incident or natural wear and tear. I probably like many have dropped soap or other things in the bath due to the slippy enviroment and have never damaged one of these beasts yet. They are designed to take a lot of punishment.
Jokes aside, the loss adjuster will try find any excuse why the claim would not be paid so he is only doing his job. You should complain to the insurance company and ask them for a written copy of their complaints procedure. You should also note in the letter that you would like them to review their decision as there is no evidence of weakness in the bath. If their was, I don't think it would hold a tub of water without the bottom falling out (no pun intended :D). Also, that if they refuse to reach a settlement, you will arrange the bath to be examined by an expert and that you will add this to your claim against them.

Incidently, how old is the bath?

hometech-uk-ltd.co.uk/lan…45w
Sounds like the OP has one of those hideous coloured bathroom suites... my guess is avocado green.
Original Poster
Inactive

I think that many of you have been very harsh with the OP.He seems … I think that many of you have been very harsh with the OP.He seems genuine to me, he pays for accidental cover, so why should the insurers not reinstate his bathroom to an acceptable standard?

thanks for your comments, nice to know not everyone thinks I am making it up.
Original Poster
baffledsalmon

Sounds like the OP has one of those hideous coloured bathroom suites... … Sounds like the OP has one of those hideous coloured bathroom suites... my guess is avocado green.

No, Green is my least favourite colour, actually is Alpine Blue!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions