Insurance cover

Found 15th Jan
Hi all
I have third party fire and theft cover on my car and someone damaged my rear bumper. Should my insurance company be chasing the other driver for damages or am I not covered for that?
TIA
Community Updates
AskFinance & Utilities
12 Comments
Yes.. They pay... Fully comp means if you don't know who done it you can still claim..
Anyway.. Rear bumper ain't a big deal.. Sometimes.. Cost me £80 as dented.. They put in oven and popped out.. The second one I bought off ebay and the company sprayed up to correct colour and my mechanic fitted it when car was in for servicing
They will chase it if you have other drivers details. If not then unlikely you will get any help.
Third-party only insurance (TPO) offers you the legal minimum level of car insurance cover, and is the most basic you’re able to get.

This kind of policy helps protect other people, vehicles and property in the event of an accident that was deemed to be your fault.

Say you drive into the rear of someone’s car, causing damage to the bumper and injuring the driver. Your third-party insurance would cover the cost of the other person’s car and medical expenses.

What isn’t covered, though, is damage to your own car or any injuries you suffer.
For that, you’d need a comprehensive insurance policy. Otherwise those costs are on you.

In short, third-party only cover is the best way to ensure that, if someone suffers a road accident that isn’t their fault, their costs can be recuperated.
Also if you want to claim make sure it's worth it. You will still have to declare the claim (as non fault) which may increase the premium next year
Wouldn’t bother even claiming ! It will cost you double in the future in cover
Why do you have just third party, fire and theft in the first place? I've always found it to cost more than full comp.
Original Poster
So should his insurance not cover the damage that he did to my car?
chocolategirl3 m ago

So should his insurance not cover the damage that he did to my car?

His insurance should cover the cost but your insurance won't be any help.

Third party, Fire and Theft - covers damage you cause to others but not damage to your car except where your loss is due to fire or theft.

If he admits it then deal direct with his insurance.
Original Poster
Well at the time of the accident he said he would pay for the damage. He gave me his address etc but not insurance details. He has not responded to my messages after I sent him the quote he hasn't replied back.
chocolategirl34 m ago

Well at the time of the accident he said he would pay for the damage. He …Well at the time of the accident he said he would pay for the damage. He gave me his address etc but not insurance details. He has not responded to my messages after I sent him the quote he hasn't replied back.

You can go via your insurance company, Give them the third parties details and they'll find his insurance but it may take a while to get a resolution. You'll have to pay an excess but should be able to claim that back off the third party if they admit or are found liable.
chocolategirl20 h, 21 m ago

Well at the time of the accident he said he would pay for the damage. He …Well at the time of the accident he said he would pay for the damage. He gave me his address etc but not insurance details. He has not responded to my messages after I sent him the quote he hasn't replied back.

Did you make a note of the car type and registration number? If so look them up and go to the insurer

askmid.com/ask…spx
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants