Insurance for mortgages - where's cheapest?

5 replies
Found 16th Jun 2011
Hi All,

At a recent mortgage appointment, I relaised that i needed cover.

HSBC discussed 4 types of things to cover:


Which one do you legally need if taking out a mortgage and also is it cheaper if you don't take the ones offered by lenders?

If so, who is best to get this from?




None of the above.

No, you don't legally have to take it out, nor should you feel pressured into taking it out with your lender. It is indeed, generally cheaper through alternative sources. Just check the terms carefully to make sure it's suitable for you.

Original Poster

so any recommendations for alternative sources?

we are both 30 somethings, professionals.

I have heard good things about 'Paymentcare', the company, not the Santander product offering.

You need to weigh up whether you want IP (Income Protection) or an MPPI (Mortgage Protection) product. I would seek advice from an IFA.

This may help too:


I am with Cardiff pinnacle and can confirm they pay out I insured my mortgage salary andnmain bills like council tax, gas, electricity ect. They paid me for a full 12mths go forth back to day one option, you have to be unemployed for 30days but then on the 31st day they back pay you.
Post a comment
    Top Discussions
    1. Why was the deal I just posted removed?78
    2. Foo fighters presale code.109
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33
    4. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop48

    See more discussions