Insurance legal cover do I need it if.....

Found 20th Jul
I'm honest and admit full liability, would I have to cough up anything more than the obvious(voluntary/compulsory)? I.e. with admitting I would presume no court or legal fees?

Or...
I have a dash cam. and the person who hit me won't admit liability. the dash cam proves clear cut with no grey that it was their fault. Would I have to cough up anything more than the obvious? would the 3rd party insurance accept the evidence and pay or would I still have court battle legal fees?

I know it's not huge amounts to get this but I hate paying insurance companies as they are making money hand over fist (from me personally, and many others who never crash or use the services they paid for) I don't want to give them anymore money on optional extras if I can avoid it.
would be nice if they offered a small % back if you didn't need them.
And don't get me started on their rip off renewal quotes. grrr they match a much (sometimes hundreds) cheaper quote with no second thought.
My last 2 years renewals that I found cheapest via confused etc have been with the same bloody company that I was with and over 100 cheaper. bloody chancers, preying on the forgetful in the hope that they just let it roll for another year (my mum being one) makes my blood boil.
Add to that 'you want to move house'? that'll be £30.
'you've bought a new car'? that'll be £30.
I could go on, but I'll end up giving myself a headache

other than my 2 scenarios above what else is legal cover for?

Well done and thanks if you got through that.
Apologies if reading this pished you off too.

regards

Greig P
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Depends.... you might admit the fault but deny the facts, so could still go to court.
Same scenario with the dash cam. It might prove their at fault but to what extend you might have to prove.

Legal cover can include uninsured loss, injury etc. In my opinion, worth it for £30 odd. But as with any insurance, you hope you never need it.
I always pay a year up front and set up a standing order back into my savings account to stop them extracting even more out of me by paying monthly. I'm sure they have cottoned on in recent years and I'm only saving about £40 over the year. Where as it could be hundreds before.
I always take legal cover as it covers stuff like loss or earnings if you lost a leg or something horrible.
ktm6669 m ago

Depends.... you might admit the fault but deny the facts, so could still …Depends.... you might admit the fault but deny the facts, so could still go to court. Same scenario with the dash cam. It might prove their at fault but to what extend you might have to prove.Legal cover can include uninsured loss, injury etc. In my opinion, worth it for £30 odd. But as with any insurance, you hope you never need it.

When you say facts do you mean other than admitting liability therefore my insurance pays, facts that would determine any further punishment I.e. speeding, reckless etc, so court by the authorities for points, fine or ban?

It is worth it ifbthats the case but driving hurts to give them my hard e
arned
MonkeysUncle4 m ago

I always take legal cover as it covers stuff like loss or earnings if you …I always take legal cover as it covers stuff like loss or earnings if you lost a leg or something horrible.

Shows how little I know. I presumed that would be covered in a payment from the others insurance, if it was their fault of course
Edited by: "BFCsider" 20th Jul
So legal covers more than just a who did it battle?
BFCsider30 m ago

When you say facts do you mean other than admitting liability therefore my …When you say facts do you mean other than admitting liability therefore my insurance pays, facts that would determine any further punishment I.e. speeding, reckless etc, so court by the authorities for points, fine or ban?It is worth it ifbthats the case but driving hurts to give them my hard earned

Well, you might admit to causing a low speed accident. They might say it actually wasn’t low speed and as a result they are now unable to work for 3 years and want 3 years wages from you. You disagree and say they couldn’t have got those injuries from the accident you caused. That would be something you could fight at court and that would be covered by your legal cover.
You might admit liability for the accident, but they could milk it.

It hurts me to give anyone my hard earned cash, but in this case, £30 for piece of mind is nothing. It’s up to you, would you rather pay £30 or save £30 and risk a bigger bill if something goes wrong?
ktm6665 m ago

Well, you might admit to causing a low speed accident. They might say it …Well, you might admit to causing a low speed accident. They might say it actually wasn’t low speed and as a result they are now unable to work for 3 years and want 3 years wages from you. You disagree and say they couldn’t have got those injuries from the accident you caused. That would be something you could fight at court and that would be covered by your legal cover.You might admit liability for the accident, but they could milk it. It hurts me to give anyone my hard earned cash, but in this case, £30 for piece of mind is nothing. It’s up to you, would you rather pay £30 or save £30 and risk a bigger bill if something goes wrong?

Great response and thanks for the input. Looks like I'm getting it then lol
Edited by: "BFCsider" 20th Jul
Legal cover gives you representation if someone sued you or you get accused of causing an accident to defend yourself. Definitely worth it as those costs could run into tens of thousands of pounds in worst case and at minimum in the event of claims would be probably in the region of £1k for the sake of £30 its well worth it. If you want to cut something reduce breakdown cover or guaranteed hire car or increase your excess slightly and bank the saving incase you have to make a claim.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th Jul
It's free people. Why you lot paying for legal cover. Don't pay. Sign yourself up and spread the word. Or send me £30 and I'll sign you up freemotorlegal.co.uk
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Jul
MonkeysUncle7 h, 2 m ago

I always take legal cover as it covers stuff like loss or earnings if you …I always take legal cover as it covers stuff like loss or earnings if you lost a leg or something horrible.

Your more likely to die with 2 legs!
wayners3 h, 56 m ago

It's free people. Why you lot paying for legal cover. Don't pay. Sign …It's free people. Why you lot paying for legal cover. Don't pay. Sign yourself up and spread the word. Or send me £30 and I'll sign you up freemotorlegal.co.uk

Listen to him! legal cover is a gimmick to get more money out of you. The insurers would just pass you to a solicitor and charge for the privilege.

Get the free one as Wayners suggested
wayners10 h, 39 m ago

It's free people. Why you lot paying for legal cover. Don't pay. Sign …It's free people. Why you lot paying for legal cover. Don't pay. Sign yourself up and spread the word. Or send me £30 and I'll sign you up freemotorlegal.co.uk

Thanks just joined up didn't know about it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants