Groups

Insurance Madness

Getting a car soon ( original mini)
    and been checking insurance out recently ( ive not claims bonus and have had my licence for a month)
    Anyways i put in £500 excess - 3rd party - my dad additional driver - unemployed ( as its makes a diff) came up £2054 - no legal cover or breakdown

Then i do £0 excess - full comp - no additional driver - unemployed - comes up £1800
    With free legal cover + breakdown

Can anyone explain that

Daniel

21 Comments

Does your dad have any crashes/ points on his license?

Original Poster

Titchimp;2859142

Does your dad have any crashes/ points on his license?

10+ years held licence and claims bonus 10+
    no crash or anything

need to get my mini quick

dandoc2;2859173

10+ years held licence and claims bonus 10+ no crash or anythingneed to … 10+ years held licence and claims bonus 10+ no crash or anythingneed to get my mini quick

is it the same company both times?

Mine was cheaper Comp than 3rd party.. but it was because one company wouldnt offer me the insurance 3rd party

how old are you

i done my car insurance in january 2 days after passing my test, with ecarinsurance (you can get cashback with various cashback sites aswell)

for a 1.3i hyundai accent coupe P reg they insured me for £800, not too bad, this is on my own policy(not on a parents)

have you tried using a comparison site?

This was for fully comp and excess £100

Have you tried making it so that your dad is the main driver and it is his policy but he has protected no claims? Im currently insured for £1000 fully comp with legal protection on a 02 corsa 1.7di with my mum and dad as drivers.

Original Poster

Tatey;2859242

Have you tried making it so that your dad is the main driver and it is … Have you tried making it so that your dad is the main driver and it is his policy but he has protected no claims? Im currently insured for £1000 fully comp with legal protection on a 02 corsa 1.7di with my mum and dad as drivers.

Nope its going to be my car and if i did that its illegal

Banned

dandoc2;2860407

what? how do you work that out - lol

Banned

dandoc2;2860407

WTF?

If your dad wants to insure the car and name you as the driver, thats up to him. Obviously it would affect his NCB if you crashed it.

dandoc = pwned

Actually its called fronting and it is illegal, of coarse it is unlikely you will get found out though.

Legally you can insure the car in a parents name as long as you declare the correct main driver and number of vehicles in the household, if they have not got any spare no claims bonus though it will not be any cheaper as the policy will be rated on the young/inexperienced driver anyway.

(I am in the trade so I know what I am talking about)

Original Poster

jallsey;2860644

Actually its called fronting and it is illegal, of coarse it is unlikely … Actually its called fronting and it is illegal, of coarse it is unlikely you will get found out though.Legally you can insure the car in a parents name as long as you declare the correct main driver and number of vehicles in the household, if they have not got any spare no claims bonus though it will not be any cheaper as the policy will be rated on the young/inexperienced driver anyway.(I am in the trade so I know what I am talking about)

Yer thats what i meant - fronting - if it was my car and my dad was named driver and i crashed im ******

Its going to be my car so its my insurance and im not breaking the law to save a few hundred

Original Poster

guv;2860528

WTF?If your dad wants to insure the car and name you as the driver, thats … WTF?If your dad wants to insure the car and name you as the driver, thats up to him. Obviously it would affect his NCB if you crashed it.

yer thats why im not doing it like that

dandoc2;2865378

Yer thats what i meant - fronting - if it was my car and my dad was named … Yer thats what i meant - fronting - if it was my car and my dad was named driver and i crashed im ****** Its going to be my car so its my insurance and im not breaking the law to save a few hundred

but that wouldnt be breaking the law. Just means you won't be building up your own ncb by not having your own insurance and your dad will suffer if you crash

autolesbona;2865547

but that wouldnt be breaking the law. Just means you won't be building up … but that wouldnt be breaking the law. Just means you won't be building up your own ncb by not having your own insurance and your dad will suffer if you crash

It IS illegal, and is called Fronting

A fraud called "fronting" occurs when a young person has a car in their … A fraud called "fronting" occurs when a young person has a car in their own name, but the insurer is falsely told that a parent is the main driver.Premiums are cut by hundreds of pounds but claims are rejected as the driver is told they are not properly insured.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Original Poster

Managed to get it for £1887.90 from churchill with legal cover

Banned

dandoc2;2914866

Managed to get it for £1887.90 from churchill with legal cover

Bargain!!! :w00t:

Original Poster

guv;2914929

Bargain!!! :w00t:

Yer full comp - £0 excess for a 1994 rover mini spirte which i get this sat

dandoc2;2915144

Yer full comp - £0 excess for a 1994 rover mini spirte which i get this … Yer full comp - £0 excess for a 1994 rover mini spirte which i get this sat

you should put some Excess on it, it really brings the price down - try getting another quote for £500 excess - in fact i'm suprised they even gave you a quote with £0 excess

NO excess? Like hook said.. i would put a few hundred on.

Banned

dandoc2;2860407

For once, I partially agree with Dandoc :w00t:

Whilst not being strictly illegal, the insurance company will not pay out for a claim if they can prove Dandoc was the main driver.

They do have vays of making you talk ;-)

Original Poster

Captain Hook;2915238

you should put some Excess on it, it really brings the price down - try … you should put some Excess on it, it really brings the price down - try getting another quote for £500 excess - in fact i'm suprised they even gave you a quote with £0 excess

lol i put the same quote with £500 excess adn it was £2000 so........
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1315
      2. What would be a Mario Kart type game for the PS4?33
      3. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      4. Biscuit addiction1231

See more discussions