Insurance quotes for the year gone up from first year

Found 8th Jun
So I passed my driving test last year, and my insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month. I used a few comparison websites, and my insurance premiums have increased from last years. I have not made a claim, not had an accident and not changed anything.
Speaking to my friends, they have said their premiums went down by nearly half after their first year.
Can anyone shed some light on if an increase in premiums is normal after a first year?
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
There were some changes in tax and other nonsense that made an increase in premiums by around 15%
Also never take a renewal from same company.
Edited by: "mattsk" 8th Jun
mattsk5 m ago

There were some changes in tax and other nonsense that made an increase in …There were some changes in tax and other nonsense that made an increase in premiums by around 15%Also never take a renewal from same company.

I knew there was a tax change, but I still thought my premiums would go down. My current insurance company are the cheapest for me to renew with. Why do you say to never renew with the same company? My cost for the next year is around £1,600. Last years was £1,500. I'm over 25 so don't understand why the cost is so much. I also have a car that's worth less than £700, so it's not a fancy car.
iant672 m ago

I knew there was a tax change, but I still thought my premiums would go …I knew there was a tax change, but I still thought my premiums would go down. My current insurance company are the cheapest for me to renew with. Why do you say to never renew with the same company? My cost for the next year is around £1,600. Last years was £1,500. I'm over 25 so don't understand why the cost is so much. I also have a car that's worth less than £700, so it's not a fancy car.

Same annual mileage etc? Is it parked on the street over night? Is your area 'nice' - there are other factors other than the driver?
Add a family member with a clean driving licence aged 45-55 to the policy (if you know someone who matches that description). Also make sure you have fully comprehensive insurance rather than 3rd party.
IamMT3 m ago

Same annual mileage etc? Is it parked on the street over night? Is your …Same annual mileage etc? Is it parked on the street over night? Is your area 'nice' - there are other factors other than the driver?

Everything is the same. It's always been parked on the street, my area is nice and quiet, there is never any trouble around here. Same mileage, same occupation, same voluntary exces.
Van19732 m ago

Add a family member with a clean driving licence aged 45-55 to the policy …Add a family member with a clean driving licence aged 45-55 to the policy (if you know someone who matches that description). Also make sure you have fully comprehensive insurance rather than 3rd party.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that fits that age range. I was fully comp last year and will be fully comp this year. 3rd party is obviously a lot cheaper though.
iant676 m ago

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that fits that age range. I was fully …Unfortunately I don't have anyone that fits that age range. I was fully comp last year and will be fully comp this year. 3rd party is obviously a lot cheaper though.

If you can get a 3rd party policy for a £700 value car cheaper than your current quote I'd consider it - 3rd party used to ALWAYS be cheaper but it's not so now as a lot of the insurance companies won't quote for it - so for most people a comprehensive policy can normally be found cheapest.

Do you have anyone with a clean licence who is older than you - that would help (45-55 does appear to be the optimum age for low risk).

I doesn't sound right - I'd expect at least a 33% discount from the 1st years premium. Daft question but are you sure you've put 1 years no claims into the search engines??

I'd try the Quidco and Topcashback comparison sites, Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Confused, Compare the Market and also standalone companies like Direct Line- worth doing them all as there is a fair saving to be had if you can find a more reasonable quote.
What type of car? Appreciate its under £700 but cost doesn't really factor into premiums (if i remember correctly)
Keep comparing and bear in mind very chunky cashbacks available through TCB . Also try fiddling about with your voluntary excess on the comparison sites . It can make a huge difference !

Even after many years of claim free driving mine still needs comparing every year . To be honest damage less than £1000 (ie a broken wing mirror , dented panel etc isn't worth claiming for as even with protected NCB your premium will rise for the next 6 years or so .

You will probably have a £250 or £500 compulsory excess so add £500 voluntary excess and you should see the price fall drastically .
iant6736 m ago

I knew there was a tax change, but I still thought my premiums would go …I knew there was a tax change, but I still thought my premiums would go down. My current insurance company are the cheapest for me to renew with. Why do you say to never renew with the same company? My cost for the next year is around £1,600. Last years was £1,500. I'm over 25 so don't understand why the cost is so much. I also have a car that's worth less than £700, so it's not a fancy car.

Small engine cars don't make insurance cheaper, in fact, usually the opposite. Cheaper for me (aged 31) to drive a Cooper S (1.6 turbo) than it is for me to drive a 1.2 Corsa. My advice, look at cars you would assume you wouldn't get insured on, add 1 named driver that has experience, perhaps your mother rather than you father. Play about (but don't lie) about your profession title.

Money supermarket offered lower prices than gocompare or comparethemarket consistently for me.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 8th Jun
Van197348 m ago

If you can get a 3rd party policy for a £700 value car cheaper than your …If you can get a 3rd party policy for a £700 value car cheaper than your current quote I'd consider it - 3rd party used to ALWAYS be cheaper but it's not so now as a lot of the insurance companies won't quote for it - so for most people a comprehensive policy can normally be found cheapest.Do you have anyone with a clean licence who is older than you - that would help (45-55 does appear to be the optimum age for low risk).I doesn't sound right - I'd expect at least a 33% discount from the 1st years premium. Daft question but are you sure you've put 1 years no claims into the search engines??I'd try the Quidco and Topcashback comparison sites, Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Confused, Compare the Market and also standalone companies like Direct Line- worth doing them all as there is a fair saving to be had if you can find a more reasonable quote.

Yeah I can get 3rd party much cheaper, pretty much half of what they want for fully comp. Would I still accrue no claims discount if I went 3rd party for the year? I do have my parents who both have clean driving licences and are in the age range, but I don't think they would be willing to be added as a named driver. Ha, the first thing I checked was that I had put in 1 year no claims, just in case. Yeah, I expected a discount as well. I forgot about quidco and tcb, as well as confused and money supermarket. I'll give them a go. Thanks.

MichyM46 m ago

What type of car? Appreciate its under £700 but cost doesn't really factor …What type of car? Appreciate its under £700 but cost doesn't really factor into premiums (if i remember correctly)

It is a Renault Megane 1.6 diesel, 04 plate.

rogparki47 m ago

Keep comparing and bear in mind very chunky cashbacks available through …Keep comparing and bear in mind very chunky cashbacks available through TCB . Also try fiddling about with your voluntary excess on the comparison sites . It can make a huge difference ! Even after many years of claim free driving mine still needs comparing every year . To be honest damage less than £1000 (ie a broken wing mirror , dented panel etc isn't worth claiming for as even with protected NCB your premium will rise for the next 6 years or so .You will probably have a £250 or £500 compulsory excess so add £500 voluntary excess and you should see the price fall drastically .

I did change my excess a bit, and even went up to £750, but it changed the quotes by £5 - £10 a month. Yeah, I will always try and pay for any damage out of my own pocket, rather than go through the insurance.

xfaxfa26 m ago

Small engine cars don't make insurance cheaper, in fact, usually the …Small engine cars don't make insurance cheaper, in fact, usually the opposite. Cheaper for me (aged 31) to drive a Cooper S (1.6 turbo) than it is for me to drive a 1.2 Corsa. My advice, look at cars you would assume you wouldn't get insured on, add 1 named driver that has experience, perhaps your mother rather than you father. Play about (but don't lie) about your profession title.Money supermarket offered lower prices than gocompare or comparethemarket consistently for me.

My 1.2, 03 plate Clio, which was my first car was £50 cheaper to insure over the year than my 1.6 Megane. I am a student, so there's no playing about with that part unfortunately.

Edit: Just checked Money Supermarket, and they are £1,150. A lot cheaper than others. Thanks
Edited by: "iant67" 8th Jun
iant677 m ago

Yeah I can get 3rd party much cheaper, pretty much half of what they want …Yeah I can get 3rd party much cheaper, pretty much half of what they want for fully comp. Would I still accrue no claims discount if I went 3rd party for the year? I do have my parents who both have clean driving licences and are in the age range, but I don't think they would be willing to be added as a named driver. Ha, the first thing I checked was that I had put in 1 year no claims, just in case. Yeah, I expected a discount as well. I forgot about quidco and tcb, as well as confused and money supermarket. I'll give them a go. Thanks.It is a Renault Megane 1.6 diesel, 04 plate.I did change my excess a bit, and even went up to £750, but it changed the quotes by £5 - £10 a month. Yeah, I will always try and pay for any damage out of my own pocket, rather than go through the insurance.My 1.2, 03 plate Clio, which was my first car was £50 cheaper to insure over the year than my 1.6 Megane. I am a student, so there's no playing about with that part unfortunately.Edit: Just checked Money Supermarket, and they are £1,150. A lot cheaper than others. Thanks

If you were insured 3rd party and did not make a claim this would add one year to your NCD at the end of the year.

It's worth trying all the sites as it's amazing how one quote can standout lower than the others!

I'd have a chat with your parents and see if one will help you out - I do so for my kids - it is also useful for me to be able to drive their cars occasionally when mine is in the garage etc!! It will be at no cost/effort to them - just make sure that they do drive the car occasionally so that you're not making a fraudulent application.
Van19738 m ago

If you were insured 3rd party and did not make a claim this would add one …If you were insured 3rd party and did not make a claim this would add one year to your NCD at the end of the year.It's worth trying all the sites as it's amazing how one quote can standout lower than the others! I'd have a chat with your parents and see if one will help you out - I do so for my kids - it is also useful for me to be able to drive their cars occasionally when mine is in the garage etc!! It will be at no cost/effort to them - just make sure that they do drive the car occasionally so that you're not making a fraudulent application.

Thanks, I'll maybe just go 3rd party then. Although, I can get fully comp for £1,150 from esure, using Money Supermarket.

That would be the problem then, as my parents stay 2 hours from me, so not sure if that would work.
iant671 h, 44 m ago

first year NCB is 10% off on average, if you consider the changes to taxations were 15% thats still 5% higher premium from previous year
as said by some, you will normally find prices will go up, change in many external factors and plenty of news stories out there.

As also said make sure you add a second driver, play around with your occupation but dont lie. Read MSE on getting the best deal, they have an option to even help work out the occupation piece for you.

Dont think third party is cheaper its actually more expensive for many.

You will find that as you get older prices will go down, when i was younger many moons ago it used to be that when you were 26 prices would fall, at 26 mine went up. In those days before the tinternet you had to call companies, nightmare time consuming process having to give every one your details. I spoke to my insurance company who said I could save money by moving my girlfriend who was on my policy to the actual policy owner and I could give her my MCB, she was 3 years younger than me and had only been driving for 3 years but a letter to the insurance company and I gave her my NCB and save £200 back then a lot of money.

moneysavingexpert.com/car…ce/

express.co.uk/lif…tes
When i was a student, I was main driver but had my mum, Dad, sisters, the guy sat on the bench... literally any person i could think of who had been driving for a number of years which always helped bring my renewal down.

Unfortunately it's a post code lottery when it comes to renewals, all kinds of factors can effect it such as number of claims in the area, car crime etc.

Use comparisons and play around with various options. Use the MSE job picker tool to find an alternative/closest occupation.

If you only do 7000 miles per year put that down, its no point saying you will do 12,000.

i've always found Confused works best for me.

update: sorry @eslick after i posted noticed you also mentioned the MSE Job picker tool as well.
Edited by: "samosa" 8th Jun
iant678th Jun

Unfortunately I don't have anyone that fits that age range. I was fully …Unfortunately I don't have anyone that fits that age range. I was fully comp last year and will be fully comp this year. 3rd party is obviously a lot cheaper though.

that person does not have to live on the same address or even being related to you! Don't you have any friends or aquiantances?
Your insurance has probably gone up because you have just passed your test! It costs more for a new driver than it does for a provisional in most cases. Along with a few other factors etc..
Mines is £4400 would love it to be £1600
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants