Expired

Insurance/MOT

Found 29th Aug 2017
If your car has run out of MOT and you have access to a borrowed car and insurance on your unMOTed car which has 3rd party cover on any vehicle not owned by yourself. Can I borrow the other car for a few days while my car has no MOT

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
25 Comments

yes - as long as the other car (the borrowed one) is insured ! The 3rd party cover only applies when the other vehicle is insured......

No you can't, Insurance is invalid if you don't have a current MOT.

Exception is if the car is in the garage under repair for the MOT certificate.

Your insurance will do a check if you have an accidennt in any vehicle.

Yeah the other car has to be insured also, otherwise you could have loads of cars and only one insurance policy.

Original Poster

markvirgo9 m ago

No you can't, Insurance is invalid if you don't have a current …No you can't, Insurance is invalid if you don't have a current MOT.Exception is if the car is in the garage under repair for the MOT certificate.Your insurance will do a check if you have an accidennt in any vehicle.

Where or how did you get this information from as everyone is saying its ok to drive another car. The borrowed car is fully insured

markvirgo17 m ago

No you can't, Insurance is invalid if you don't have a current …No you can't, Insurance is invalid if you don't have a current MOT.Exception is if the car is in the garage under repair for the MOT certificate.Your insurance will do a check if you have an accidennt in any vehicle.

It's driving a car on the road without an mot that invalidates your insurance, the car is instantly deemed unroadworthy.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 29th Aug 2017

4Real20162 m ago

It's driving a car on the road without an mot that invalidates your …It's driving a car on the road without an mot that invalidates your insurance, the car is instandeemed unroadworthy.

if thats the case why are you not charged with driving without insurance when you have no mot?

Original Poster

The car that i am borrowing has MOT but my car is garaged till i can get it thru an MOT

Yes, you can drive the other car as long as there is insurance on the vehicle with the 3rd party policy that you have.
When you are ready to get your car an MOT you can drive it to a prearranged MOT appointment but you must go straight there with no stops on the way.

jamstaruk197217 m ago

if thats the case why are you not charged with driving without insurance …if thats the case why are you not charged with driving without insurance when you have no mot?

You can get charged for driving without insurance if your insurance company invalidates it.

4Real20164 m ago

You can get charged for driving without insurance if your insurance …You can get charged for driving without insurance if your insurance company invalidates it.

which im assuming they would only do in the result of an accident?,im of the opinion not mot no insurance end of but i know from people i know not having mot it was a small fine.

jamstaruk19726 m ago

which im assuming they would only do in the result of an accident?,im of …which im assuming they would only do in the result of an accident?,im of the opinion not mot no insurance end of but i know from people i know not having mot it was a small fine.

Recently? I guess they were lucky.

Or why not just get the owner of the borrowed car to add you as a named driver....

Should cost about £30 and will give the borrowed car owner comprehensive protection

Why risk potentially the cost of replacing the car for the sake of £30

And (in the voice of Jezza) you might be the best, safest driver in the world but you just might "bump" into the worst driver in the world.

if you do not have a valid MOT, then your motor insurance will be automatically invalid on that vehicle which then means that you will not have a valid insurance to drive another car.

I'm not saying that you would get caught or charged with no insurance but you could and if you had a crash they could refuse to pay out.

Insurance companies look for any way to avoid paying out.

markvirgo58 m ago

if you do not have a valid MOT, then your motor insurance will be …if you do not have a valid MOT, then your motor insurance will be automatically invalid on that vehicle which then means that you will not have a valid insurance to drive another car.I'm not saying that you would get caught or charged with no insurance but you could and if you had a crash they could refuse to pay out.Insurance companies look for any way to avoid paying out.

I think you need to re-read the question

Hint

His car = no MOT
Borrowed car = has MOT
His car = he has comprehensive insurance to drive (provided the vehicle is legitimate when driven)
Borrowed car - his comprehensive insurance allows him to drive other cars third party insurance

He'd be better off contacting his insurer but IMHO he'd be better of as named driver
Edited by: "philphil61" 30th Aug 2017

markvirgo3 h, 9 m ago

You didn't read the original post.

philphil615 h, 41 m ago

I think you need to re-read the questionHintHis car = no MOTBorrowed car = …I think you need to re-read the questionHintHis car = no MOTBorrowed car = has MOTHis car = he has comprehensive insurance to drive (provided the vehicle is legitimate when driven)Borrowed car - his comprehensive insurance allows him to drive other cars third party insuranceHe'd be better off contacting his insurer but IMHO he'd be better of as named driver

I think you need to re-read his answer

I get where he's coming from

Graham19798 h, 37 m ago

or maybe they dont care, eh cupcake?

Insurance is NOT valid if any other legal requirement has expired. Contact your insurance company as they may have exclusions pertenant to you in their T & C's

chocci6 h, 50 m ago

I think you need to re-read his answer I get where he's coming from

If you have insurance and the MOT has run out on the car - and you've booked an MOT then you can still drive insured to the MOT centre. You can only drive a vehicle with no MOT to a pre-booked MOT centre legally.

If you have insurance on a vehicle that is off the road for whatever reason - your insurance doesn't stop BUT each insurance policy will need checking to verify. As the OP states they have 3rd party cover for other vehicles AFAIK from watching police documentaries this clause is questionable.

As I said the OP needs to check with their insurance but it would just be easier to get added as a named driver.

Jeez, re read it guys as said, it has nothing to do with the car needing an MOT, he has fully comp insurance and entitlement to drive any other car not owned by him or under a hire purchase agreement, this provides 3rd party cover on any car he wishes to drive as long as he is over 25.

You can also legally drive another car on 3rd party insurance that doesn't belong to you even it is not insured in itself although the insurance cover only applies if you are in the car, if you park up and go the shop then the car is not insured, you are fine driving to say one persons house to another and park the car on private property, you are insured for the journey only.

3rd party liability is just that, it is insuring you as the risk to other parties, if you crash the car into a tree no payout, if you crash the car into someone elses car your insurance pays for the damage to the 3rd party.

It is best to check with your insurers though as some have small print

No NOT no insurance as they ask you to confirm things before asking for a quote. One of the things is has the car got a valid mot

Graham197920 h, 48 m ago

Yes I did, The original insurance will become invalid if the terms are not adhered to, ie the vehicle that the insurance is taken out on must have an MOT for it to be valid.

markvirgo38 m ago

Yes I did, The original insurance will become invalid if the terms are not …Yes I did, The original insurance will become invalid if the terms are not adhered to, ie the vehicle that the insurance is taken out on must have an MOT for it to be valid.

That Sir is a load of rubbish, the car without MOT would have no insurance if it was on a public road but can be parked up on a driveway, this does not affect your right to use the 3rd party option to drive another car.

What if your car was out of MOT on your drive and someone torched it, it is insured as it's classed as laid up, a few years ago I had a car stolen off my drive that I was working on to get through an MOT, the insurance queried why it had no MOT and I produced receipts for parts that I had bought to fix it, they paid me full value.

You could technically have sold the insured car and not cancelled your insurance for a day or 2 and drive other cars 3rd party only, lots of misinformation in here.
Edited by: "T2000Bill" 30th Aug 2017

Is it rubbish?. I think your living in the past, Insurance companies and the government are clamping down on the ways that people are fruadulantly using insurance.

The issue is that its your car thats insured not you, yes they may let you temporary use another vehice under the insurance but it doesn't stop the insurance being based and still covering the original vehicle.

one of the reasons that they may not pay out is

Broken policy agreement

Review the terms of your insurance policy. It is important to understand not only what the insurance company can do for you, but what they expect of you. If you break any of these terms, they may refuse to pay out any claims after an accident.

From my policy verbatim,

Driving other cars, If your cert of motor insurance says so, this policy provides cover when YOU are driving any other motor car as long as YOU do not own it and it is not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement, this cover only applies if:

There is no other insurance in force which covers the same liability.

YOU have the owners permission to drive the car.

The car is registered in and being driven in GB, NI, ROI, IOM or the Channel Islands

Note - There is no cover under this for damage, fire or theft to the car YOU are driving.

So yes I did read my policy and nowhere does it state the car that you are using 3rd party has to be insured, also where is states YOU it is in bold in the policy which does mean that they are covering YOU under the 3rd party liability, not your own car or the car you are driving but just damage to a 3rd party only.

There are no exceptions to this section either that the other car has to be insured.

Oh and I used to work for a car insurance company so I had to know what I was talking about ;-)

Also I never said that your insurance doesn't cover your own car and not yourself, I said that driving someone else's car it is you that is covered for 3rd party liability and the car does not have to be insured to use it under that 3rd party cover, if you leave the car then that car no longer has 3rd party liability insurance.

So for instance you borrow a friends car and drive from A-B from private land to private land fine, if you park up and go the shop and it rolls down the hill then it isn't covered because you left it unattended and you took your 3rd party cover with you when you left the car.

Edited by: "T2000Bill" 31st Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions