Insuring an iphone bought from ebay

Found 23rd Aug 2011
Someone i know has bought an iphone from ebay, it was new and sealed but the original receipt has not been provided.

Has anyone managed to insure an iphone that they have bought from ebay under these circumstances?
Community Updates
MiscInsuranceiPhone
22 Comments
Why would a receipt be needed?
Edited by: "thesaint" 23rd Aug 2011
thesaint

Why would a receipt be needed?

I've had a quick google and the insurance companies need the original receipt when making a claim
Lilly_White

I've had a quick google and the insurance companies need the original … I've had a quick google and the insurance companies need the original receipt when making a claim

I would phone an insurance company and ask directly, as what you say doesn't ring true(pardon the pun).

thesaint

I would phone an insurance company and ask directly, as what you say … I would phone an insurance company and ask directly, as what you say doesn't ring true(pardon the pun).

I've called two, they've said i need the original receipt an ebay receipt will not do, wandering if someone has managed to find an insurance company who would accept an ebay receipt
Your right, an original receipt is a must. Receipt MUST also state imei, not aware of any companies who would insure without. It's all to do with fraud prevention.

Also be wary of companies who dont mention this up front as they will ask for it in the event of a claim.
I had trouble with my house insurance last year as the apple store receipt stated serial number and not imei.

If apple were to replace the handset under warranty for any reason, then I'm pretty sure the new handset could be insured.
Edited by: "callum84" 23rd Aug 2011
callum84

Your right, an original receipt is a must. Receipt MUST also state imei, … Your right, an original receipt is a must. Receipt MUST also state imei, not aware of any companies who would insure without. It's all to do with fraud prevention.Also be wary of companies who dont mention this up front as they will ask for it in the event of a claim.I had trouble with my house insurance last year as the apple store receipt stated serial number and not imei.If apple were to replace the handset under warranty for any reason, then I'm pretty sure the new handset could be insured.

Thank you for that, under warranty what would apple require, any kind of proof of purchase?
Who. In their right mind buys an iPhone4 off eBay

Madness
Usual unhelpful post by boothy

Apple warranty is determined by serial number, no receipt required. You can enter phones serial on the apple website and it will tell you the status of the warranty and time left. Would defo be worth checking this when buying outwith official retailers.
Looks like warranty is as good as it gets for now, just get them to be careful and think twice about buying from eBay I'n future.

Lilly_White

Thank you for that, under warranty what would apple require, any kind of … Thank you for that, under warranty what would apple require, any kind of proof of purchase?

callum84

Apple warranty is determined by serial number, no receipt required. You … Apple warranty is determined by serial number, no receipt required. You can enter phones serial on the apple website and it will tell you the status of the warranty and time left. Would defo be worth checking this when buying outwith official retailers.Looks like warranty is as good as it gets for now, just get them to be careful and think twice about buying from eBay I'n future.

Thanks again callum, i'll pass this information on
boothy

Who. In their right mind buys an iPhone4 off eBayMadness

ive bought 3
if you're not a complete tard and know how to use ebay its perfectly safe
Lilly_White have you tried approaching a bank that provide mobile phone insurance with a premier sort of account?

They may say the same, but mine just asked for the phones imei number and the mobile number of the sim that is being used within the phone and have set the condition that the sim that i have specified must be in the phone i have specified at the time of loss/stolen.
boothy

Who. In their right mind buys an iPhone4 off eBayMadness

Funny thing. You have sold phones on this very website. Recently one of the ones you sold stopped working and you then spammed the thread where he was complaining about it.

It shows what you think of people on this website and the kind of people we should all hope to avoid.
Adnan786

Funny thing. You have sold phones on this very website. Recently one of … Funny thing. You have sold phones on this very website. Recently one of the ones you sold stopped working and you then spammed the thread where he was complaining about it. It shows what you think of people on this website and the kind of people we should all hope to avoid.

That's the one where you pmd the buyer in a vain attempt to get me personal info wasn't it?

The thread was mod removed btw

Edited by: "boothy" 23rd Aug 2011
Adnan786

Lilly_White have you tried approaching a bank that provide mobile phone … Lilly_White have you tried approaching a bank that provide mobile phone insurance with a premier sort of account?They may say the same, but mine just asked for the phones imei number and the mobile number of the sim that is being used within the phone and have set the condition that the sim that i have specified must be in the phone i have specified at the time of loss/stolen.

Thanks Adnan nice to know that there are some members on here that can offer constructive advice, i will pass this information on
Adnan786

Funny thing. You have sold phones on this very website. Recently one of … Funny thing. You have sold phones on this very website. Recently one of the ones you sold stopped working and you then spammed the thread where he was complaining about it. It shows what you think of people on this website and the kind of people we should all hope to avoid.

Boothy exposed, dear dear, that backfired Boothy
boothy, Ive just come across that thread where you are trying to gain support against me. I have just responded. Perhaps you should screen dump the PM in question.
I've done this before and had to make a claim, when you make a claim they ask for paypal proof and proof of usage letter off your network provider...
seanbwfc

I've done this before and had to make a claim, when you make a claim they … I've done this before and had to make a claim, when you make a claim they ask for paypal proof and proof of usage letter off your network provider...

Thanks for that, what insurance company did you use?

They will insure the handset, but when you try to claim they will ask for receipt with imei, it's standard practice, it's all I'n the t&cs, easy to get caught out by.
Lifestyle group are one of the main insurers through bank accounts etc.

Adnan786

Lilly_White have you tried approaching a bank that provide mobile phone … Lilly_White have you tried approaching a bank that provide mobile phone insurance with a premier sort of account?They may say the same, but mine just asked for the phones imei number and the mobile number of the sim that is being used within the phone and have set the condition that the sim that i have specified must be in the phone i have specified at the time of loss/stolen.

proof of usage from your network is normally enough.
also can buy cover from amazon , type in search acer metal and click top link, then look for the others bought with this an its there, 3 years £50
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants