Insuring phones bought off HUKD/Ebay

Found 27th Jan 2012
Ive asked a similar question a while back but didnt get answers. How do you go about insuring a phone bought second hand on HUKD? As i know most of the insurance companies ive spoken to want the orginal purchase reciept and wont accept one written from the person you are buying from.

Anybody managed to insure a second hand phone and if so who with?
Community Updates
MiscInsuranceiPhonePhones
9 Comments
Do you have contents insurance? check that first as it may be covered,

We are with the NFU and they didnt want a receipt for a TV that got damaged and paid out just over £900
My phone is insured via my bank and they never wanted any form of receipt, just the imei number and where it was bought from.
*katie*

My phone is insured via my bank and they never wanted any form of … My phone is insured via my bank and they never wanted any form of receipt, just the imei number and where it was bought from.

Thanks for the replies, im also with my bank Katie but when i claimed they wanted a printed reciept that had the cost, make, model and IMEI number on it. I wasnt told this until i claimed, they never told me when i registered the phone etc. Luckily the phone had come direct from Orange so they issued me with a copy as had all the details on file.

When the claim eventually was paid they didnt have any 3GS in stock so payed me the cost of a refrubished model in cash instead so i had to buy my own phone, i asked them about buying from ebay etc and they say they would need a proper reciept etc if i was to claim so basically i wouldnt be covered.
Edited by: "ZedEx" 27th Jan 2012
ZedEx

Thanks for the replies, im also with my bank Katie but when i claimed … Thanks for the replies, im also with my bank Katie but when i claimed they wanted a printed reciept that had the cost, make, model and IMEI number on it. I wasnt told this until i claimed, they never told me when i registered the phone etc. Luckily the phone had come direct from Orange so they issued me with a copy as had all the details on file. When the claim eventually was paid they didnt have any 3GS in stock so payed me the cost of a refrubished model in cash instead so i had to buy my own phone, i asked them about buying from ebay etc and they say they would need a proper reciept etc if i was to claim so basically i wouldnt be covered.

Thats ridiculous, I am fairly sure that such as Argos dont print the IMEI on the receipt.
harlzter

Thats ridiculous, I am fairly sure that such as Argos dont print the IMEI … Thats ridiculous, I am fairly sure that such as Argos dont print the IMEI on the receipt.

Sounds like wriggle time by the insurance company
I bought a tv at christmas and a camera neither had the serial number on the receipt

Think of how many claims they could turn down if they need a serial number from any purchase on the receipt before paying out
DEALWARRIOR

Sounds like wriggle time by the insurance company I bought a tv at … Sounds like wriggle time by the insurance company I bought a tv at christmas and a camera neither had the serial number on the receiptThink of how many claims they could turn down if they need a serial number from any purchase on the receipt before paying out

I know it seems mad doesnt it, i can imagine there are quite alot of people our there that think they are covered but when claiming will find out they missing 'proper' proof of purchase.
I am having the same problem as I am thinking of buying a blackberry of of eBay and was looking at insurance from protect your bubble and it says that I need proof of sale and receipt, date and where I bought it. As my looking after phone history isn't really brilliant I would really like to insure it.
Smithy98

I am having the same problem as I am thinking of buying a blackberry of … I am having the same problem as I am thinking of buying a blackberry of of eBay and was looking at insurance from protect your bubble and it says that I need proof of sale and receipt, date and where I bought it. As my looking after phone history isn't really brilliant I would really like to insure it.

Ask the seller if you can have copies of the original paperwork. When I sold a phone on eBay I offered this and any genuine seller shouldn't mind providing it (so long as they still have it).
harlzter

Do you have contents insurance? check that first as it may be covered,We … Do you have contents insurance? check that first as it may be covered,We are with the NFU and they didnt want a receipt for a TV that got damaged and paid out just over £900

I made a claim for an iphone through my contents last year and had to provide a reciept which showed IMEI before they would even consider it.
Insurance was with zurich through the AA.

Seems to be a fairly standard policy these days that you must have proof of purchase which includes IMEI.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants