Groups

Intel i5 kaby lake cpu

Hi all,

Just wondering what CPU is recommended:
    i5 7500 at £186
    i5 7600 at £206
    i5 7600k at £228 (I have z270 motherboard, but I'm not sure I will ever go down the overclocking route!)

It's for general use plus gaming by my son. I'm tempted just for go for the cheapest, am after maximum bang for buck but want it to last at least 4-5 years.

13 Comments

where on earth are you seeing an i5 7500 for £186? cheapest I can see is £193? Im currently build a rig for myself and dont plan to overclock so that 7500 is more than enough

Though if you have a Z board and did decide to overclock then get the 7600k

(seriously, where are these prices???)

Original Poster

Those prices were all taken from Amazon about 10 minutes ago ...
    amazon.co.uk/Int…cpu

Original Poster

I'd better get it before you do and drive the price up!

oh wow! I was looking on PC Part picker and yup, not long come down? Damn, I best jump on that!

Cheapest its been too

http://i.imgur.com/mkFZ78i.png

Original Poster

I've also ordered one of these SSDs: ADATA XPG SX8000 256GB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 3D NAND 2000MB/s Read and 600MB/s Write
    amazon.co.uk/gp/…VV5

Any idea if that's a good choice in my restricted budget?

Honestly, go for this one:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/pro…000

Better benchmarks from what I can tell (I hope as I bought one ) and cheaper though its not on Amazon

Original Poster

Thanks vader. It seems a better buy, but it's out of stock at CCL?
    Did you get it already and did you have to wait long?

i got it from theres guys in the end:

novatech.co.uk/pro…tml

Took about 4 days to arrive

darthvader666uk

Honestly, go for this … Honestly, go for this one:https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/k64NnQ/samsung-pm961-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mzvlw256hehp-00000Better benchmarks from what I can tell (I hope as I bought one )

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Very few things are limited by disk speed with any SSD, so it's generally far better value to spend the £100 on a 500GB SSD, or something else entirely.

As for the CPU the only difference is clock speed, ranging from 3.3Ghz to 3.9Ghz. Are you going to notice an 18% performance difference? If you're not sure then the answer is probably no, it's not a very large one for most things.

EndlessWaves

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Very few things are limited by disk … Lies, damned lies and statistics. Very few things are limited by disk speed with any SSD, so it's generally far better value to spend the £100 on a 500GB SSD, or something else entirely. As for the CPU the only difference is clock speed, ranging from 3.3Ghz to 3.9Ghz. Are you going to notice an 18% performance difference? If you're not sure then the answer is probably no, it's not a very large one for most things.

If you can get a 500GB SSD for the one tony suggested for around that price I would say yes but the one I suggested was cheaper and for the same size of 256GB and benchmark wise seem to perform better?

Original Poster

Endless - thanks, but what 500gb SSD choices are you suggesting around £100?

fat.tony

Endless - thanks, but what 500gb SSD choices are you suggesting around … Endless - thanks, but what 500gb SSD choices are you suggesting around £100?

​crucial mx300 around £120 on amazon 525GB.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2226
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767293
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1934
      4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941347

See more discussions