Intensive care unit- not waking up

Posted 30th Jul
I know it’s not the right place to ask this but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Heart stopped for 10 mins. No brain damage Mri and ct scans all clear but he’s not waking up fully. (When I say not fully, he can’t obey doctors demands & Currently on strong antibiotics for lung infection)

(Any neurologists? Or anyone with similar experiences please comment and I can give more info)
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Think you might want to ask a medical professional in person about this.
Ask one medical forum not a deal website.
Hi Merry000,

My sympathies to you, it must be a very difficult and hard time you are going through. My Dad was in intensive care a few years ago, and arrested while there. I know how horrible the situation can be, so just try and keep strong throughout it.

As a Paramedic, all I can say is that you won't get answers here. Everyone's situation is different and there are so many factors which affect situations like this which are all personal to the person who suffered the arrest. No one on this site will be able to provide the medical answers for your situation. My advice would be to speak to the nurses who are caring for them, and also the other senior medical staff overlooking the care. Don't be afraid to ask them questions if there's things you don't understand, they will be happy to explain.

Again, my thoughts go to you and family!
Merry00030/07/2020 21:44

You’re right. We are communicating with doctors but we want to know if a …You’re right. We are communicating with doctors but we want to know if anyone had similar experiences

I'm not really sure by looking for similar experiences. Nobody will have an identical experience.
Pre-morbid status e.g. Running marathons prior to this?
Age?
Past Medical History?
Heart stopped (Asystole) or Ventricular Tachycardia (Incompatible with life)? CPR immediately started? Good quality CPR or bystander CPR?
[Not expecting or wishing you to answer the above, I'm just pointing out the variations that ITU will have.....)

A 75 year old who walks with a frame is going to take a lot longer than a 20 year old that runs marathons.

The Doctors will have told you why they think he is not waking up properly (Or if they haven't, that's the question you actually need to ask them). ITU nursing is almost 1:1 and the nurses really get to know their patients and will be willing to talk to you too.

Infection (You mentioned a lung infection) can certainly cause people to become delirious, in this case hypoactive delirium i.e. drowsy ++. But this is pure speculation and therefore somebody might post that it is simply infection (And so falsely reassure you that things will improve based on their experiences), when actually your family member has a different problem.

In short it's totally not helpful to talk about, even if you think it is; because nobody will give you a similar comparison that is meaningful.

Wishing him all the best.

DoI: Junior Doctor
Edited by: "Firefly1" 30th Jul
16 Comments
How long was he unconscious
Scotland131430/07/2020 21:40

How long was he unconscious

In icu for 4 weeks now. They stopped sedation after few days being admitted to icu
furbars30/07/2020 21:42

You’re right. We are communicating with doctors but we want to know if anyone had similar experiences
Remember every body is different some people come round quicker than others
Ask one medical forum not a deal website.
I hope you find the information you are looking for. Sorry I have no advice or feedback
Hi Merry000,

My sympathies to you, it must be a very difficult and hard time you are going through. My Dad was in intensive care a few years ago, and arrested while there. I know how horrible the situation can be, so just try and keep strong throughout it.

As a Paramedic, all I can say is that you won't get answers here. Everyone's situation is different and there are so many factors which affect situations like this which are all personal to the person who suffered the arrest. No one on this site will be able to provide the medical answers for your situation. My advice would be to speak to the nurses who are caring for them, and also the other senior medical staff overlooking the care. Don't be afraid to ask them questions if there's things you don't understand, they will be happy to explain.

Again, my thoughts go to you and family!
Merry00030/07/2020 21:44

You’re right. We are communicating with doctors but we want to know if a …You’re right. We are communicating with doctors but we want to know if anyone had similar experiences

I'm not really sure by looking for similar experiences. Nobody will have an identical experience.
Pre-morbid status e.g. Running marathons prior to this?
Age?
Past Medical History?
Heart stopped (Asystole) or Ventricular Tachycardia (Incompatible with life)? CPR immediately started? Good quality CPR or bystander CPR?
[Not expecting or wishing you to answer the above, I'm just pointing out the variations that ITU will have.....)

A 75 year old who walks with a frame is going to take a lot longer than a 20 year old that runs marathons.

The Doctors will have told you why they think he is not waking up properly (Or if they haven't, that's the question you actually need to ask them). ITU nursing is almost 1:1 and the nurses really get to know their patients and will be willing to talk to you too.

Infection (You mentioned a lung infection) can certainly cause people to become delirious, in this case hypoactive delirium i.e. drowsy ++. But this is pure speculation and therefore somebody might post that it is simply infection (And so falsely reassure you that things will improve based on their experiences), when actually your family member has a different problem.

In short it's totally not helpful to talk about, even if you think it is; because nobody will give you a similar comparison that is meaningful.

Wishing him all the best.

DoI: Junior Doctor
Edited by: "Firefly1" 30th Jul
No ones experience can be the same as yours - even if they had the exact same circumstances - every individual is different and will recover differently. Listen to the health professionals or ask them to point you in the right direction for more info....

If he is in a coma there is some brief information here nhs.uk/con…ma/
Sounds like the same as Kate Garraway's husband.
All I can say is don’t give up hope, my dad had a cardiac arrest And was out for 14 minutes. Doctors said there was a chance he won’t be the same man if he wakes up. He was in a coma for 7 weeks but got stronger and woke up in the end. They were surprised. He was a little bit baffled for a good couple of weeks and said a few strange things but he got back to normal in the end. Just keep praying and keep your fingers crossed, we were always told expect the worst but hope for the best. Fingers are crossed for you.
furbars30/07/2020 22:06

Sounds like the same as Kate Garraway's husband.

Actually no, it doesn't sound the same.
Hi,

My sympathies to you too, your probable best to ask this question over on this forum: patient.info/forums

All the best, and i hope its good news in the end for you and your family. take care.
Kratos6930/07/2020 22:23

All I can say is don’t give up hope, my dad had a cardiac arrest And was o …All I can say is don’t give up hope, my dad had a cardiac arrest And was out for 14 minutes. Doctors said there was a chance he won’t be the same man if he wakes up. He was in a coma for 7 weeks but got stronger and woke up in the end. They were surprised. He was a little bit baffled for a good couple of weeks and said a few strange things but he got back to normal in the end. Just keep praying and keep your fingers crossed, we were always told expect the worst but hope for the best. Fingers are crossed for you.

Stories like this give us a lot of hope! Thank you for your comment. Did it take him 7 weeks to actually wake up?
Never give up hope, keeps us stronger and supportive;

I lost my stepmum this year, 2nd stroke which caused a bleed on her brain which resulted in brain stem death, she was like a 2nd mother to me, as I lost mine about 15 years ago to cancer, we never gave up hope when they told us what 99% it is until they did the NES checks to fully confirm the following day, you have more hope as their is no issues with the MRI, she was a fighter 1st stroke few years back took it out her and result in left side issues, and then following year burst bowl which she had to have a bag on on for a year before they did the reverse, life isnt easy but we fight as we do, keep strong merry000
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants