Expired

Interesting Search Results

23 replies
Found 6th Feb 2008
Hi, occassionally I get some really odd results when using the search function on HUKD, and I wondered if anyone else would like to share.
My most recent was a search for Links Crossbow with the top result being

hotukdeals.com/ite…ua/

yet I know someone posted a new deal today (I think) at £17.99 and that isn't even in the results...weird.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

Go to Advance search, then put 'links +crossbow'.

You will get a better result. Don't see a new deal for today though.

Original Poster

okey dokey, I found it on Amazon anyway, just a Packard Bell ixtreme?? couldn't see anything about crossbows in the spec.
Actually, just tried links + crossbow with deals and got same result...

it needs to be +links +crossbow to be the most effective, I find single word searches are the most effective of all. There's a thread in my sig with some tips on more effective searching

Original Poster

Had a quick read...may I say it isn't a moan, just interestingly odd results, that made me smile....I usually one word searches or advanced search, just occassionally get odd results which make me smirk.
Thanks emmajk42 have referred to your posting thread in the past as well.

Agent_Silver;1549473

okey dokey, I found it on Amazon anyway, just a Packard Bell ixtreme?? … okey dokey, I found it on Amazon anyway, just a Packard Bell ixtreme?? couldn't see anything about crossbows in the spec.Actually, just tried links + crossbow with deals and got same result...

I just tried it again, and every result was for Links crossbow training. :?

Yes, thesaint, those searches with the pluses are definitely the best way to search.

Is anything coming up for today's posts in own posts (via - my settings) or search/advanced search?

Original Poster

Welcome back, Agent_SilverLog Out

Search Results for 'links + crossbow':

Packard Bell ixtreme 2712 Intel Quad Core (Refurbished) PC Base Unit £499.99 @ Pc World

£499.99

10 comments
-4° FOUND BY: sharpie9 1 day, 1 hour ago

copied from search results...top result, sorry you can't replicate this, however, I swear I am not making this up

Agent_Silver;1550529

Welcome back, Agent_SilverLog OutSearch Results for 'links + … Welcome back, Agent_SilverLog OutSearch Results for 'links + crossbow':Packard Bell ixtreme 2712 Intel Quad Core (Refurbished) PC Base Unit £499.99 @ Pc World£499.9910 comments-4° FOUND BY: sharpie9 1 day, 1 hour agocopied from search results...top result, sorry you can't replicate this, however, I swear I am not making this up

Tried it again, still fine, don't know what is happening with your search.

If you remove the space between the + sign and crossbow and you mat get a slightly different result, but even when it's there, only a few threads that aren't for crossbow training are brought up.

Yes, I think it's the spaces.

You need plusses on all words!

emmajk42;1550878

You need plusses on all words!

I used only the +sign on crossbow, and I get 22 results, and every single one was for Links crossbow training.

When using the + sign in front of 'links' there are only 16 results.

Original Poster

Search Results for '+links+crossbow':Not what you're looking for? For more options try Advanced Search
Hornby Virgin Pendolino Train Set Was 170 now 85 @ Littlewoods !

39 comments
128° FOUND BY: keli 18 hours, 42 minutes ago

Attached vouchers: £18.50 at Littlewoods Direct, £10 at Littlewoods Direct, £20 at Littlewoods Direct

Starts: 06/02/2008

Found this on Monday, but didnt want to post it just incase it was a miss price and they did not send it out. However I happy to say that I have recieved mine, this is a fantastic price for this item, as the cheapest i have found it previously was £120 on ebay. I am sorry but this is my first time more...

More:Littlewoods Direct deals
Tags: (Add a tag)

discusseditexpire spam

Packard Bell ixtreme 2712 Intel Quad Core (Refurbished) PC Base Unit £499.99 @ Pc World
£499.99

10 comments
-6° FOUND BY: sharpie9 1 day, 14 hours ago

Attached vouchers: 5% at PC World

Just bought one of these: What a bargain! If you roughly add up the cost of the components then you're on a winner!

These refurb base units are ones that got sent to customers and was something wrong and have been sent back to the manufacturer to correct and then reboxed with full warranty/guarante more...

More:PC World deals
Tags: quadcore, base unit, desktop, pc, 2712, ixtreme 2712, packard bell (Add a tag)

discusseditexpire spam

there you go...+links+crossbow in deals.....as tried 30 seconds ago...I am unique!!

New result, Hornby train!! I am not stressed by this....just trying to show I am doing it as you say and this is the result I get:thumbsup:

Can you do put a screen grab up of your search?

Original Poster

thesaint;1551923

Can you do put a screen grab up of your search?

How, tried print screen didn't work?

Agent_Silver;1552020

How, tried print screen didn't work?

I have never printed a screen grab onto a website, only into "Word".

Hopefully someone will give you directions on how to do it.

Original Poster

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd180/chrome_rat/Untitled.jpg

took me a while....

Okay, you are not putting a space in between links and the following + sign.
Also try it in "Text" only, and are you using "Advanced search"?

Original Poster

In advanced it is fine...I have just checked, these results are from quick search...just wanted to show I am not making it up....most of the results are fine just the top two are out of whack

Agent_Silver;1552297

In advanced it is fine...I have just checked, these results are from … In advanced it is fine...I have just checked, these results are from quick search...just wanted to show I am not making it up....most of the results are fine just the top two are out of whack

I told you in the very first reply in this thread to use "Advanced search". :thumbsup:

So, ordinary search is hopeless - as we knew. Top result, now for +links+crossbow is this link.
However, how did you get your screen display up? Did you use one of the web picture places like photobucket or have you a more cunning method?

ordinary search is not useless... I use it the most now. As I have said above a few times, you need that phrase exactly "+ links +crossbow", and as pointed out, the spaces matter. You're still not putting them in?

Original Poster

Can I just say, as I seem to be being ranted at...is it was a bit tongue in cheek, honestly, use advanced search, don't used advance search, use + symbols have spaces don't have spaces....it was a light hearted view of a search result, and asking if others had similar daft experiences.

I use the advanced search usually anyway, I found the results I wanted, thesaint... I only wanted to share...most people would only use the basic search as they do on google....I don't need a smacked wrist. so chillax!

emmajk42 I misunderstood about spaces or not... never mind 'eh

Chesso I used print screen pasted into paint, saved as a jpeg upload to photobucket, then pasted link into reply, took a bit of trial and error, but now I know how it is done will be easier next time.

right I am gonna expire this....thanks everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74845
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
    3. Win free gin for a year99
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65

See more discussions