Internal walls cracking on corners

Posted 29th Mar
I have 3 different internal walls that appear to be bulging slightly and cracking the plaster. I assume there’s a plastic right angle strip which is bulging out to aid getting a nice 90 degree angle.

Anyone know the best way to repair this please?

3429910-HXk46.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
There shouldn’t be any plastic strip in the corner if the plasterer was any good at his job
Scotland131429/03/2020 08:29

There shouldn’t be any plastic strip in the corner if the plasterer was a …There shouldn’t be any plastic strip in the corner if the plasterer was any good at his job

Newbuild house 6 years ago, so no the plasterer wasn't particularly good
That looks strange for a 6 year old house, if it was mine I would dig the plaster away asap and find the cause, It's not damp is it from a leaking central heating pipe causing the timber stud wall frame to swell?
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 29th Mar
If it’s a six year old new build it may well be covered by the NHBC 10 year warranty. Might be worth checking your paperwork.
tomvox29/03/2020 09:14

If it’s a six year old new build it may well be covered by the NHBC 10 y …If it’s a six year old new build it may well be covered by the NHBC 10 year warranty. Might be worth checking your paperwork.

Very good point, we had a 8 year old house that needed so much repair work carried out the NHBC put us up in a hotel for nearly 4 weeks while they repaired Persimmon house builders balls up!
Is it plaster board or plaster on brick
Just out walking the dogs, so I’ll dig a bit of plaster away and send an update shortly.
Has something struck that edge causing the metal plaster bead to be pushed in and buckle out ?
The metal bead is usually about 2cm by 2cm
PaulandPam29/03/2020 09:20

Very good point, we had a 8 year old house that needed so much repair work …Very good point, we had a 8 year old house that needed so much repair work carried out the NHBC put us up in a hotel for nearly 4 weeks while they repaired Persimmon house builders balls up!

Persimmon... nuff said..

My friends had to go through legal route after finding so may issues in their new build house. It took them good 5 months to fix issues.
Edited by: "Bigspin" 29th Mar
7ommy.7829/03/2020 10:54

Has something struck that edge causing the metal plaster bead to be pushed …Has something struck that edge causing the metal plaster bead to be pushed in and buckle out ? The metal bead is usually about 2cm by 2cm

That's what I was wondering, it does look like it's been hit in 2 places.
paul100529/03/2020 10:23

Just out walking the dogs, so I’ll dig a bit of plaster away and send an u …Just out walking the dogs, so I’ll dig a bit of plaster away and send an update shortly.

Don’t dig at leave it us and check the warranty first.
What’s that to the left? Is there perhaps a horizontal screw coming in from the left that might be under stress somehow and has some movement?
It must be an English thing skimming plaster board and using metal corner pieces it wouldn’t happen up here the plaster use scrim tape and fastset it’s less likely to pop like that
tomvox29/03/2020 09:14

If it’s a six year old new build it may well be covered by the NHBC 10 y …If it’s a six year old new build it may well be covered by the NHBC 10 year warranty. Might be worth checking your paperwork.

NHBC will only cover structural defects and theres a minimum claim value of £2500 - so wont be covered by them unfortunately.
PaulandPam29/03/2020 08:48

That looks strange for a 6 year old house, if it was mine I would dig the …That looks strange for a 6 year old house, if it was mine I would dig the plaster away asap and find the cause, It's not damp is it from a leaking central heating pipe causing the timber stud wall frame to swell?

Nope no damp. They are all on internal walls and no where near pipework thankfully.
So i have dug out 1 of the offending buldges, its a metal strip that looks to have come away from the palsterboard. No idea how, its dry behind and no damage that i can see (other than what i have just done). If i push the strip it just pops back out so guessing it may just be where the house has settled slightly its put this under load and its flexed.

I'm guessing my only option is to pull the whole length out then skim over it?40218589-Weesf.jpg40218589-e1M32.jpg
eslick29/03/2020 11:19

Don’t dig at leave it us and check the warranty first.

unfortuntley no warranty. Taylor Wimpey is 2 years, then they just refer everything to NHBC - but NHBC is only structual and wont even consider it.
Can't you cut a small piece out and stick it back, fill over the top? Maybe not a perfect option but presumably better than ripping the whole thing out and starting again?
Benjimoron29/03/2020 12:08

Can't you cut a small piece out and stick it back, fill over the top? …Can't you cut a small piece out and stick it back, fill over the top? Maybe not a perfect option but presumably better than ripping the whole thing out and starting again?

Yes good point. I had discounted this as it was metal not plastic, but i could get some tin snips from amazon should cut this fairly easily.
paul100529/03/2020 12:10

Yes good point. I had discounted this as it was metal not plastic, but i …Yes good point. I had discounted this as it was metal not plastic, but i could get some tin snips from amazon should cut this fairly easily.

Metal hacksaw if you need to cut a section out, or can you drill a hole and screw in back in place if there is anything for it to bite into?
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 29th Mar
That looks really weird! why on earth have the plasterers used flat strip for an external corner? surely 1" 90 degree angled bead should have been used if they wanted a straight sharp corner such as
40218958-FR3WS.jpg
Bluefusion29/03/2020 12:18

Metal hacksaw if you need to cut a section out, or can you drill a hole …Metal hacksaw if you need to cut a section out, or can you drill a hole and screw in back in place if there is anything for it to bite into?

It looks like Plasterboard behind. I've got some no more nails type stuff, so i'll cut a small section outthen try gluing it and see if this stays put.

We have a local FB group for our estate so i asked there if anyone else has the same issue. at least 8 others have in various places, some a lot worse than ours.
Its corner bead tape used in tapping and jointing, it is stuck down with the jointing compound it can come away when not enough has been used to keep it stuck, cut out the metal where its not flat and fill with normal filler then touch up.

screwfix.com/p/d…1cf
PaulandPam29/03/2020 12:36

That looks really weird! why on earth have the plasterers used flat strip …That looks really weird! why on earth have the plasterers used flat strip for an external corner? surely 1" 90 degree angled bead should have been used if they wanted a straight sharp corner such as [Image]

Absolute cowboys
We recently had a reskim on whole house , and he used metal beading with holes in corners and they was stapled to the corner then skimmed over
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions