International student, pay monthly contract?

Found 3rd Jun 2011
Well, here's the thing..

I'm a student from EU and I would like to take a pay monthly contract, but thing is that I didn't live here for 3 years and it seems that every retailer here wants some info about living in UK for the past 3 years which I cannot provide..
I don't like payg plans because I hate buying top-ups every time and I don't like what they offer me as well.

So how can I get a pay monthly contract? I'm working part-time and I do have everything else, but I've tried applying for 3 contracts and they all failed because I didn't live in UK for 3 years.

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
8 Comments
try with phones4u

I don't like payg plans because I hate buying top-ups every time

You could get a Giffgaff sim, you can set them up to auto update when your balance drops below a certain level.
go to phone4u shop and ask for a contract. They may ask you for a security deposit of say 100 or 150 which they refund / adjust in your bill after 3 or 6 months.

This is pretty standard and a couple of my friends have done this in the past.
can you not use a one month rolling contract from tesco, giff gaff etc?
Original Poster
Rupz

can you not use a one month rolling contract from tesco, giff gaff etc?

Why pay that when you can get a decent monthly contract and a free phone O.o

So it's only Phones4U that offer these kind of services?
StN

Why pay that when you can get a decent monthly contract and a free phone … Why pay that when you can get a decent monthly contract and a free phone O.oSo it's only Phones4U that offer these kind of services?

It's going to be hard to get a contract being an International Student. Maybe if you can provide evidence that you will be here for the length of the contract and will be able to pay it on time each month. One of the main things they will look at is if you will sustain the payments required each month.
This could be because if you finish your course in a couple of months or maybe a year, or even before the contract ends. Whats to stop you from leaving the country to return home, taking a good mobile phone which has not been paid for and a contract still running but no longer making payments. This is the risk factor companies look at, as it could leave them out of pocket.
Original Poster
anthonyt

It's going to be hard to get a contract being an International Student. … It's going to be hard to get a contract being an International Student. Maybe if you can provide evidence that you will be here for the length of the contract and will be able to pay it on time each month. One of the main things they will look at is if you will sustain the payments required each month.This could be because if you finish your course in a couple of months or maybe a year, or even before the contract ends. Whats to stop you from leaving the country to return home, taking a good mobile phone which has not been paid for and a contract still running but no longer making payments. This is the risk factor companies look at, as it could leave them out of pocket.

At the very least I have 2 years to study my course ^^ Thanks for the tips, might help!
One of my friend who is an international student went to the Three mobile shop and they gave him contract phone after he paid £150 as security deposit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions