Groups

Internet - 100Mbps on old Pc but only 54Mbps on Laptop?

I currently have Sky broadband Internet
    [ Old White Netgear modem ]

What I don't understand is why do only get connection of 54Mbps on my newish Laptop (wifi) whereas I get a connection of 100Mbps on my old Pc (wired) ?

Speeds I get is:

Pc - upto 8Mb (on a good day)

Laptop - upto 3.5Mb max

Is the reason being wired connection/ wireless?

How do I improve the 54Mbps connection on the laptop?

Also how do I check my line connection (noise ect)?

Thanks

6 Comments

The 100mbps and 54mbps are the speed of your LOCAL LAN, not the speed of your broadband.

The 8mbps and 3.5mbps are the speed of your broadband connection.

54mbps is the fastest you will get with a G router.

You will get faster if you switch to an N router (if your laptop has support for the wi fi N standard).

Edited by: "guilbert53" 22nd Jan 2011

Original Poster

guilbert53

The 100mbps and 54mbps are the speed of your LOCAl LAN, not the speed of … The 100mbps and 54mbps are the speed of your LOCAl LAN, not the speed of your broadband.The 8mbps and 3.5mbps are the speed of your broadband connection.

Is there a way to get the 54Mbps to 100Mbps? Will a wired connection on the laptop improve speed?

how come i am getting 117mbps on my wireless laptop?

op - Your broadband is 8, your laptop is capable of receiving 54, why do you want it faster? 54 is larger than 8 so you're not likely to see any improvement, unless you are moving large files around the network 'internally'

dcx_badass

Doresn't really work like that, I'm using Wireless N which is 150mbps, I … Doresn't really work like that, I'm using Wireless N which is 150mbps, I am 3m metres from the router through one wall, have 100% signal and am at the full 150mbps, I get 1/3rd of the transfer speeds as I do with a wired 100mbps connection (LAN transfers). Wireless quite honestly sucks.

Single stream N modem / router ?

Can you not bond it @40mhz(using WPA.x) to 300mps or is the chipset in router only single stream ? or you could replace it with certified N Mimo modem/router) same applies to OP (well the bit about buying a new modem/ router)

Wireless is fantastic but for file tx / it's not that fast

Edited by: "dontasciime" 22nd Jan 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044540
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767378
      3. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1218
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2467

See more discussions