Expired

Internet connection won't reach my room, help!

Found 17th Jul
Hi all, I need to extend the coverage of my connection as my bedroom is a blindspot to WiFi for some reason. I've tried an extender but it barely helps. Would love some ideas, I'm unable to pass an ethernet cable through.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
When you say the extender barely helped what do you mean. If it's got good signal strength to the main router and not too far away from the bedroom it should work relatively well. It's either too far from source/receiver or it's a low quality extender.
Other options are to either use a powerlines adaptor if the electrics are on the same circuit or use an access point by wiring to the access point and then sending out a wireless signal.
I'm using a TP Link extender I bought off Amazon a couple days ago. I've also tried a Belkin one a couple of months back. The extender gives me 5 bars of signal but pages still load slowly and my download speeds are less than a tenth of what they should be. The moment I leave the room, my download speeds jump back to 50mb/s. The extender gives me about a 10% increase in performance when in the bedroom. Normally, without the extender, I have a connection but it's so weak it constantly disconnects itself.
Edited by: "sAmeri" 17th Jul
Something like this

TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4hLtBb8NVD3KC
Edited by: "daletharper" 17th Jul
daletharper17th Jul

Something like thisTP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi …Something like thisTP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4hLtBb8NVD3KC

How is that any different to: amazon.co.uk/Uni…rch
sAmeri4 m ago

How is that any different to: …How is that any different to: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet-TL-WA850RE/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531859561&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tp+link&dpPl=1&dpID=31Cr+qqoJSL&ref=plSrch

The powerline kit sends data over your electric cables. there are two units - one plugs in next to your router the other where you need the signal.

Can you explain the layout of the property?
Is there any interference possible?
This one uses the mains electricity in your house instead of using a cable, you plug the smaller one into a socket next to your router and connect an ethernet cable from your router to it, you plug the larger one into the room where you are having problems and you can either connect wireless or with a ethernet cable.
Wow, thanks for the replies. It might just be the solution. I don't know what would be interfering with the signal.

Poor range, too many walls, thick walls, etc

Try getting a better router since the ones provided are awful, make sure it's not near any microwaves, make sure it's on a table and nothing else is Infront of it

This may help
Edited by: "Norseg" 18th Jul
Where did you position the extender? If it was in the bedroom, that's no good. It needs to be about half way between the router and your bedroom
craigstephens14 m ago

Where did you position the extender? If it was in the bedroom, that's no …Where did you position the extender? If it was in the bedroom, that's no good. It needs to be about half way between the router and your bedroom

Exactly what I was about to post.
Both my kids computers cant get a good steady signal (they are both positioned at the other end of the house to the router and can't really be re positioned) So I got a couple of 5 meter usb extension leads and put their wifi dongles nearer the door. Don't get any problems with them now.
craigstephens1 h, 43 m ago

Where did you position the extender? If it was in the bedroom, that's no …Where did you position the extender? If it was in the bedroom, that's no good. It needs to be about half way between the router and your bedroom

I've put it in the room above the extender. I've moved it a few meters closer and it doesn't make a difference. There are 3 walls in between the router and where I need to get a connection, the place I'm in is an extension of the house, so I assume some of the walls are made of brick (I have no idea). I've read online brick walls can seriously effect signals.

I can say I've positioned the extender perfectly, it can't get any better. I've put the extender about 5m above the router (on the first floor, router on ground floor) and the blindspot is about 7m away from the extender.
Edited by: "sAmeri" 18th Jul
splatsplatsplat1 h, 28 m ago

Both my kids computers cant get a good steady signal (they are both …Both my kids computers cant get a good steady signal (they are both positioned at the other end of the house to the router and can't really be re positioned) So I got a couple of 5 meter usb extension leads and put their wifi dongles nearer the door. Don't get any problems with them now.

I was told that by a friend, but how would I pass the extension lead around the room? I can't have wires showing. I've got wood floor btw so no sticking it to the sides of the carpet/putting it underneath.
Powerlines are your answer. They have to on the same circuit though.
Have you set it up to be on the same network or was it plug in and press the WPS button to connect?
boabbyrab2 m ago

Have you set it up to be on the same network or was it plug in and press …Have you set it up to be on the same network or was it plug in and press the WPS button to connect?

It's both, you do the WPS thing and then it asks for your to connect to the network manually and create your own SSID etc.

I've just bought myself the recommended TP Link powerline. Let's see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestions people.
Just a note on those power lines you bought, if you wire them directly the Ethernet is only 10/100 not gigabit so you will not benefit from the 600mbps quoted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants