Internet - Mesh - Provider

Posted 29th Jul
Anyone know of a good mesh system? I have BT but am using their discs along with my own TPlink power line adapter to get WiFi in the converted garage bedroom. Was thinking of giving virgin a shot since even though the speeds are showing as 30mb and signal seems to be ‘strong’, I’m not able to work from home and simple internet based tasks on my phone aren’t particularly fast.

I’m thinking the TP link which I purchased about 7 years ago isn’t the most effective so want to replace that. Anyone have any advice?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Virgin hub is horrible for WiFi, I put in modem mode and use tp link mesh to cover house and garden
Bargainhead29/07/2020 11:57

Virgin hub is horrible for WiFi, I put in modem mode and use tp link mesh …Virgin hub is horrible for WiFi, I put in modem mode and use tp link mesh to cover house and garden

What mesh would you recommend? Also netgear vs tplink, which comes out on top?
TP-Link Deco M9 Plus is the bees knees!
vivian26529/07/2020 12:16

What mesh would you recommend? Also netgear vs tplink, which comes out on …What mesh would you recommend? Also netgear vs tplink, which comes out on top?

I only have tp link, I can’t comment on the others. Try a review site for the best. But I thought the bt mesh was meant to be good..

uk.bestreviews.guide/mes…BwE
I would avoid the "BT Whole Home" system, i just picked up a twin pack this morning and wasn't very impressed with them, yes it extends your signal, but at less than half the speed of the disc closest to the router

Also the twin pack is pretty much pointless as 1 disc has to be connected to router via ethernet and the second disc is the extension. I was assuming it would be like other mesh packs where the mesh network connects to your router via wifi to begin with to fully extend it, not have to be physically connected to the router
Edited by: "Neo1607" 29th Jul
Neo160729/07/2020 17:17

I would avoid the "BT Whole Home" system, i just picked up a twin pack …I would avoid the "BT Whole Home" system, i just picked up a twin pack this morning and wasn't very impressed with them, yes it extends your signal, but at less than half the speed of the disc closest to the router

I’ve opted for the M4. Good reviews, reasonable price - hopefully this’ll do the trick.
If you always have BT disks you already have a mesh network, I'm not sure how the Link Power Line Adapter is working as that's not even recommend from memory.

I've got TP-Link Deco units (S4 as they were cheaper than the M9) as well and they are great and cover our whole house and garden.

I'd look at your Broadband service first and try and discount the WiFi. If you Broadband is working well and stable your problem is the wireless so no sense changing to Virgin (unless you wanted to anyway).
darlodge30/07/2020 09:27

If you always have BT disks you already have a mesh network, I'm not sure …If you always have BT disks you already have a mesh network, I'm not sure how the Link Power Line Adapter is working as that's not even recommend from memory.I've got TP-Link Deco units (S4 as they were cheaper than the M9) as well and they are great and cover our whole house and garden.I'd look at your Broadband service first and try and discount the WiFi. If you Broadband is working well and stable your problem is the wireless so no sense changing to Virgin (unless you wanted to anyway).

We have been getting the speeds promised by BT but perhaps we have too many devices active at one time causing our internet to be incredibly slow. We get 30mb around the house although I wouldn’t say it’s consistent, often drops in spots further away from the main router.

Switching to virgin for their higher speeds, plus worked out cheaper than BT taking into account other services. The Virgin routers aren’t highly regarded so think the M4 is needed - will probably have to send back the BT discs once the switch is complete.
Post a comment
@
    Text