Groups

internet providers

whats the best deal going at the minute? and who are the best? ive heard orange are rubbish but i want to take advantage of their free laptop thing...

also my contact runs out with aol in august..can i cancel now and pay the reminder of the contract? how does it work. sick to death of aol...

32 Comments

tazandsaz

ive heard orange are rubbish but i want to take advantage of their free … ive heard orange are rubbish but i want to take advantage of their free laptop thing...

Orange are awful, I wouldnt use them again if they gave me the service for free, dont get yourself tied in to a 2 year contract with them, you WILL regret it!

Original Poster

how are they so bad? cant be worse than aol..lol

Service is often lost. Customer service does nothing but blame other people, direct you to other departments and back again, blame other companies when it is OBVIOUSLY the service provider at fault. Call charges are high because of really long waiting times, and their response if you question it is that if you dont want to pay, you shouldnt call for help!

I'd rather chew my left foot off then go with AOL again - if i had to choose AOL or Orange it'd be orange.

Orange are great, been with them 2 years, threatened to quit and they knocked my price down, gave me livebox free of charge, no limit download, no contract and up 2 8 Meg.

Plus customer service is great, always through straight away and very helpful.

No idea why people think there 'terrible'

Carzy

Orange are great, been with them 2 years, threatened to quit and they … Orange are great, been with them 2 years, threatened to quit and they knocked my price down, gave me livebox free of charge, no limit download, no contract and up 2 8 Meg.Plus customer service is great, always through straight away and very helpful.No idea why people think there 'terrible'

I hate Orange ever since 3 months ago they sent me an invoice for the sum of £675 for using their service, when I have always been with Tiscali.

J.Dance

I hate Orange ever since 3 months ago they sent me an invoice for the sum … I hate Orange ever since 3 months ago they sent me an invoice for the sum of £675 for using their service, when I have always been with Tiscali.

HAHAHA,

aye think i would hate them as well if that happened, but so far had no probs what so ever!!

Carzy

Orange are great, been with them 2 years, threatened to quit and they … Orange are great, been with them 2 years, threatened to quit and they knocked my price down, gave me livebox free of charge, no limit download, no contract and up 2 8 Meg.Plus customer service is great, always through straight away and very helpful.No idea why people think there 'terrible'

There is always an exception to the rule, but I know I am not alone. Orange came out worst on the watchdog poll

Original Poster

these look really good m8 thanks...

why orange have been so bad and give themselfs a bad name is beyond me....they used to be good, mobile etc...

im with orange. i have never lost service or had any problems really.
    my mum works in a call centre that handles Tiscali, and she reckons they have to be the worst.

Banned

If you ask for a MAC number from AOL, it should allow you to transfer to any other ISP without losing your broadband connection & possibly not having to pay a penalty.
    Otherwise an engineer while be sent out by AOL to disconnect you then when you get a new ISP another will be sent out to connect you.Can take some time and you may be with out any connection for several days without getting a MAC number.

IMO, I would dump AOL.

Hope that helps!

Original Poster

thanks m8 thats a help...just want to know what one to go with...im not a heavy user or downloader...i download about 2gb a month manybe less...maybe more sometimes...8mb for about £15 would be ideal as i dont really wanna be paying more than i am now...

my mum works in a call centre that handles Tiscali, and she reckons they have to be the worst.[/QUOTE]

Yep,Im an ex Tiscali customer and can confirm they are complete pants !.Slow inconsistent connections,Constant dropouts,Log In problems,Email problems and don't get me started on their abysmal excuse for customer service !.Don't even think about it !.

pete_21

Yep,Im an ex Tiscali customer and can confirm they are complete pants … Yep,Im an ex Tiscali customer and can confirm they are complete pants !.Slow inconsistent connections,Constant dropouts,Log In problems,Email problems and don't get me started on their abysmal excuse for customer service !.Don't even think about it !.

a big part of the problem is they are very limited as to what help they can give, especially refunds for loss of service.

although, if anyone can recommend a good adsl alternative .....

Everyone has different experiences - I've been with AOL 3 years and they've been great.

Original Poster

i mean i dont use the net that much..all i do is browse and stuff really...so would orange be enough for me??? my partners parents have orange..and they think its alright really...anyone think its worth going for the laptop deal??

kelly_o_fanatic

There is always an exception to the rule, but I know I am not alone. … There is always an exception to the rule, but I know I am not alone. Orange came out worst on the watchdog poll

yeh your right there usually is an exception to the rule, Orange are great, just happens you had bad experience haha

Banned

It depends on your phone exchange a lot of the time distance/line quality etc. that can cause problems like disconnections and loss of speed.
    If your connection with AOL is fine, then any ISP should work ok.

Lot's of broadband deals about but this one is cheaper than £15 & offers you a bit more: madasafish.com/

As for the laptop deal, IMO it's, well "a bit Pants".
    If you don't need a new one, why get a "****** lappy" and get tied into a two year contract too.

hope this helps!

Banned

soupy

It depends on your phone exchange a lot of the time distance/line quality … It depends on your phone exchange a lot of the time distance/line quality etc. that can cause problems like disconnections and loss of speed.If your connection with AOL is fine, then any ISP should work ok.Lot's of broadband deals about but this one is cheaper than £15 & offers you a bit more: http://www.madasafish.com/As for the laptop deal, IMO it's, well "a bit Pants".If you don't need a new one, why get a "****** lappy" and get tied into a two year contract too. ;)hope this helps!

Ooops! it only for the first six months, but still works out at about £15 a year.
    But IMO Orange & tiscali are both ok.

Madasfish along with other ISP's under the Brightview group where bought by BT at the beginning of the month. Just in case your in the Anti-BT (as in you don't like the Telco BT) club

Original Poster

£15 a year..wow cheap...lol

looks good mate....

i was actually wanting a new laptop thats why im tempted by this offer....and like you said no matter what ISP i go for if im gonna have problems im gonna have problems.....

does anyone know anything more about the free laptop deal? like what broadband package you can get and if you can change/upgrade at all in the 2 year???

It's up 2meg with a 2 gig download limit. Not sure if you can upgarde the package but would think so

Original Poster

to be honest the biggest problem ive had with aol is down to their bad knowledge and customer service skills etc...they were telling me false information etc..

my internet they say is at 2mb even tho im only getting 1mb..and aol first said its all my line could take.....however the person upstairs is on 8mb...and getting 8mb with XL net i think it is...

im literally round the corner from the exchange..2 min walk...

and thats been my real problem.....i can deal with speeds dropping from time to time....the internet is not a necesity to me...so i can cope without it if for some reason i get a prob

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture

It's up 2meg with a 2 gig download limit. Not sure if you can upgarde … It's up 2meg with a 2 gig download limit. Not sure if you can upgarde the package but would think so

surely if it means they get more money out of you...it will be fine lol

Banned

If you signed up for 2mb, then it is probably your profile at their end that has a problem, give them a call and ask them to test it again, perhaps reset your profile.
    I had a problem of only getting 1mb instead of 2mb, called my provider and got it fixed in 3mins & a reboot.

Dunno what an Anti-BT is tho', as it all goes via BT exchanges and wires anyway.

Just a thought, are your filters setup right, and is phone wiring ok.

get eclipse !! there great im supposed to get up to 8meg and i get 6.8meg unlimited downloads but between 6-12 or 10 i think it was theres a 20gig limit between the month thats more then enough still. and its only 15 quid !!. trust me well worth.

Personally, if your exchange has been unbundled, I'd go for any provider that uses their own equipment (within the BT exchange) - with the exception of Talk Talk!

Some providers are already using the equipment that Bt are rolling out 2008 -2011. - Think shiny futuristic Broadband! In comparison, on BT's equipment, I struggled to get 4 meg; now on Sky's LLU service and get a rock-solid 7.6 meg with no drop-outs, traffic shaping, port blocking and a very loosely imposed usage cap.

If you're in a cable area, then even better - you'll get cheap tv, phone and mega-fast broadband - unfortunately i'm not in a cabled area and probably never will be!

if you put your phone number and post code ]here it will tell you which ISPs (if any) operate their own equipment in your exchange. You'll need to look under the 'LLU xdsl' tab for the list.

If you already have Sky tv, and you're a low user, for a one-off connection fee, your broadband will be completely free, or for a 8 meg connection and 40gig DL a month (loosely enforced) it's a fiver. A tenner gets you up to 16meg and unlimited downloads.

I've had 4 different ISPs, right now i'm very happy with Sky!

Carzy

yeh your right there usually is an exception to the rule, Orange are … yeh your right there usually is an exception to the rule, Orange are great, just happens you had bad experience haha

Yup, me and every other customer who voted for them as worst provider in the watchdog poll - since they came out worst, I am obviously in the majority rather than the minority

kelly_o_fanatic

Yup, me and every other customer who voted for them as worst provider in … Yup, me and every other customer who voted for them as worst provider in the watchdog poll - since they came out worst, I am obviously in the majority rather than the minority

theres a good girl now get bk to watchdog

what is adsl max? and does anyone know of any providers? our exchange is able to support it but i cant seem to find a provider

Google "rate adaptive adsl." I think every BT exchange in the country is now ADSL max enabled. Basically it's upto 8 meg broadband, but the speed you will get depends on the distance you are from the exchange and the quality of the cable in the ground, (copper, lead,ali).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …157382
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1321
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764529
      4. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1744

See more discussions