internet speeds

Found 2nd Jun
Would like to know what speed is required for half decent sports streaming. It seems my 38mb is insufficient for many 720 and definitely not 1080p quality. My only available upgrade is 50 or 78mb

The problem I have is in my area is there is no full fibre connection
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
If you mean IPTV sports streams 38mb is way more than enough. It's probably the service you are using.
What speeds are you getting, 38mb is more than ample

Typically a 720p stream needs about 2.5mb, 1080p about 4.5mb.
I get 26mb on my PC, maybe the wireless connection to the samsung tv is less?
Most of the time people blame their own connection and upgrade it and it makes no difference. It’s usually an issue with the place you are steaming it from, it’s probably hosted in someone’s bedroom lol
Edited by: "mds1256" 2nd Jun
costas123413 m ago

I get 26mb on my PC, maybe the wireless connection to the samsung tv is …I get 26mb on my PC, maybe the wireless connection to the samsung tv is less?

Could be a number things try and get as many Speed Tests as you can from different Devices, phones etc, and see if the speed is consistent.

What are you streaming from ?, Box, Stick? trying moving the Box away from the TV or in a different place, if its a Stick try extending the Stick away with a USB lead etc.

Where you streaming from?, could it be a slow streaming service or a dodgy one, trt it different times of the Day, ie whats it like at 2am in the morning when the service has less demand etc.
Nvidia shield box and streaming it using smart iptv which is ultimately shown on the samsung smart tv
It could be the site/place your streaming from or your routers configuration/firewall is doing something strange.
If you're streaming from a dodgy place then no wonder you can't do it properly
It’s not your connection that’s the issue, 38mb is more than enough. Stream sky sports from sky and you will have a no issues
As people say, your speed capacity is plenty adequate. Another point to remember is that speed (like size as I tell my wife) is no good if the service is rubbish. You need to do a speed test that checks package data quality as well. If the stream is corrupted you could be getting 37mb of resending so a real speed of 1mb.
costas12341 h, 27 m ago

I get 26mb on my PC, maybe the wireless connection to the samsung tv is …I get 26mb on my PC, maybe the wireless connection to the samsung tv is less?

All commercial streaming sites will be easily accommodated by a 38Mbit/s connection. Netflix suggests 5Mbit/s for HD and even its 4k service only requires 25Mbit/s. Complain to your streaming service provider.
As above, it's not a speed issue you have, the speeds you have are substantially more than required for a HD stream. We used to stream Netflix on 2mbs with minor issues.
As others have said it's the website/streaming service that's probably hogged and slow... Your connection is way faster than required.
You can visit fast.com on your device to test your speed to see if it's a Wi-Fi issue
Change your IPTV provider, certainly shouldn't be an issue on your end from what you describe.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants