Interview advice

Posted 14th Feb
Hello hotukdealers

I have a job interview coming up, given how much of a socially awkward person I am in real life I'm really quite nervous. I've had interviews in the past but I always manage to make even the slightest mistakes - I can't usually keep eye contact up with people I don't know for example and end up staring at the ceiling or floor (sounds weird, I know), which doesn't look good in an interview at all

Does anyone have any advice on how to keep my confidence levels up for the interview? Some do's and don'ts for when I attend it? Other than the obvious being don't be late and do dress smart

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Try not to beat yourself up too much over this, everyone will have a crisis of confidence at some stage in their life and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Just try and be yourself, if they don’t want you for who you are, then they are not the employer for you.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 14th Feb
I could never keep eye contact. Then i started alternating between looking at the bridge of their nose and their ears and it gives the impression you are going from one of their eyes to the other. After a while, keeping eye contact wont bother you. Thats how i sorted mine out.
34 Comments
Job interview for what?
Buckyball14/02/2020 19:59

Job interview for what?

Sorry I should've been more specific in the post - it's an e-commerce assistant job
I could never keep eye contact. Then i started alternating between looking at the bridge of their nose and their ears and it gives the impression you are going from one of their eyes to the other. After a while, keeping eye contact wont bother you. Thats how i sorted mine out.
Always have a few questions for them at the end, it shows interest in the role.

Some ideas... Ask what challenges they see with the role, what can you do to prepare for the role of you're successful. I used one recently that went down well but it's risky (got the job though), ask how you can impress them in the first 3 months.

Other than that prepare, check out the STAR method and prepare a load of answers that fit the job description. teamwork, initiative and customer focus seem to be the main questions I've come up against bit it's job specific so study the role spec.

Good luck, it's not easy and they'll expect a degree of nervousness so don't panic. The more prepared you are the more confident you'll seem, even if you're jelly inside 😁
Edited by: "MichyM" 14th Feb
Try not to beat yourself up too much over this, everyone will have a crisis of confidence at some stage in their life and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Just try and be yourself, if they don’t want you for who you are, then they are not the employer for you.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 14th Feb
I always say to remember it's not just them interviewing you, you should go with the mindset that you're probing them too, to find out if it's the right job for you, the right culture, the right environment, and most importantly the right team. So be prepared to ask questions that will get you the answers you want. I always feel that gives you a sense of power and confidence.

When i'm interviewing i'm looking for curiosity, enthusiasm and a personality that will fit with the people i already have in the team. Sometimes i need leaders and talkers, sometimes i need people that get their heads down and can be a team player. Be yourself - you might be surprised.
Edited by: "shepademus" 14th Feb
Thanks for the comments everyone I really appreciate the helpful advice
Close your eyes and imagine the interview in your head, imagine it going really well, do this again and again over the next few days.

Listen to a song or a few songs that make you feel AMAZING on the way to the interview. You probably have a few favourites.
Research the company a little bit. In the interview show them that you already have some knowledge about their company and how it operates.
Read their company literature, review their issues and priorities and competitors, then prepare answers how you could support them with these. Put some q's together and write out your answer to each of these. Plus @Candystore's advice...best of luck
Just imagine everyone naked... except for yourself
Hello, I’ve been standing in front of students giving lectures and seminars for over 5 years, yet in early January in front of only approx 70 odd students, I literally just froze, I was taken aback a little as normally I stand in front of anything from 200 up to 600 students at the university.

So for me, after over 5 years, I literally just froze for what may have only been about 10 seconds but to me, in that moment, felt like a lifetime! I even knew what to say, and I had all my lecture notes in front of me, yet I couldn’t get the words out.

Silently, I took a quick deep breath and said to myself.. come on, you can do this, you’ve stood here thousands of times before and done this.. I don’t know if it was a brain freeze or possibly even stage fright but I just had to get over it as the students eyes were on me. So I pretended to cough whilst I paused mid sentence and then continued with it, be it with a little more shakiness in my voice!

Never a nice feeling and I came away from that lecture, thinking what happened to me in there but it happens to all of us at some stage in our life and you learn from it.

No one questioned it and no student looked at me weirdly! But that really did affect me that day and it wasn’t particularly an eventful day.

You will be fine, very best of luck with your interview. You can do it, just give it your best shot, no one can expect anymore than that from you.

If you can continue after anything like that, you’ll be more respected by your audience (students/interview panel) because it shows you can get back up and continue.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you
Edited by: "Hennah" 14th Feb
interviews are always nerve racking, even to those who go to interviews regularly. i don't tend to get nervous when i go to interviews but i do feel apprehensive because i tend to feel apprehensive when i go into any new environment.

you probably can't keep eye contact because you don't feel comfortable and you feel nervous. so you need to tackle the nerves as when you do manage to feel at ease, everything will flow very easily. you need to think of all the positive things that you could offer the company or the team you are going to work with. you need to memorise those characteristics so that they roll off the tip of your tongue so you could reel them out during interview at the appropriate time.

they often ask you to state a weakness in your character so rehearse the answer by choosing a negative trait that can sound positive or can be made into a positive trait. so for you, it could be that you get very nervous at interviews or when you have a challenge like an interview to deal with, your nerves get the better of you and you find it difficult to perform at your best. however you are aware of this weakness and you are determined to work on reacting better in situations like that, which you hope with experience you will be able to do so.

it will also help to think of all the experiences you have had in the past, either at work or outside of work where you have been challenged and you have managed well as you can introduce these into the interview at the appropriate time. i often answer a question by giving an example of something i had done or that had happened in the past as this then put my answer into clearer context and stops me giving mono syllable answers.

it also helps if you can convince yourself that if you don't get the job, it is not the end of the world. this way there is less pressure on you as it is not a life and death situation. it doesn't stop you performing as well as you can, it just stops you thinking if you mess up it will be the end of the road for you.

best of luck
Just to echo what others have said it is probably a good idea to research the company a little bit and if they have any direct competitors. I'd also prepare answers about team work, your motivation for applying and how your skills are relevant for job as these questions come up often regardless of the job. Best of luck Andrew
Edited by: "reindeer333" 14th Feb
Good luck mate. Having interviewed people myself, I always warmed to candidates who were genuine and informed me at the start that they were nervous about the interview. I think it helps break the ice a bit and appeals on a human level. Try and smile and be friendly too. The other stuff, finding out about the company and anticipating what they'll ask you goes without saying but is vital. The more you prepare, plan what questions to ask, the more confident you'll feel.
My one best part of advice if not mentioned when asked any questions ask about social events! Proves an interest in the company & mixing with colleagues/teams
Good luck!!
No useful advice here but good luck
Firstly you ain't alone. Any person tells you they were not sh##ing bricks in an interview is a liar.
Lots of good advice. Most people enter room and only briefly look at the interviewers.
Shake hands and make eye contact with a smile on entering.
You have kinda broken the ice that way and should make it easier to keep some eye contact.
If you are unsure of any ? Ask them politely to repeat the ?
Don't think you have to be super confident , bit of vulnerability can be a positive.
Above all , remember if you don't get it, it's not meant to be and there will be other opportunities.
Some questions are very common so rehearse them.
Why do you want the job
What are your key strengths
What are your weaknesses.
Try to find a friend to run a mock interview with you with a list of possible questions. Don't just look at the wiki page for the company, but try and find news articles, check their shares, note down any innovations. Also don't just regurgitate information you have found, make sure anything you say about the company is relevant. I knew someone who was applying for a graduate position for an airline and waffled on about airplanes and flight schedules which was completely irrelevant to the role and more importantly the interviewers had no idea what they were talking about as they worked in the business operations part of the airline not the engineering part.

I also like to ask the interviewers what makes them different and appealing to employees as an employer. Ask them to explain what you would typically do over the course of the day and what possible career paths you might have in future.

I generally also find interviews are conducted by two people and more often than not one person is usually more pleasant and I naturally gravitate my eye contact to them, which might be a good or bad thing...

Oh and best of luck!
Edited by: "Prosamuraiman" 15th Feb
Be honest with your nervousness it can be disarming and also good way to build rapport as they will appreciate the sentiment usually. Good luck
I find taking Kalm tablets a few days before really works ease the nerves.
Remember the interviewers names throughout the interview.

After half way through my interview, they asked how my memory was, I said it was great.

Next question was what was their names

Oops
My professor of corporate finance said it's like an elevator pitch, what can you bring to the business based on your skill and how you can grow together.
Eye contact. Hands on your lap.
But best prep is practise with set questions but give yourself flexiblity.
Treat it like an oral viva exam.
Much of the advice that I'd typically offer has already been covered, but preparation really can be helpful. Doing some basic research into the organisation can allow you to speak with more confidence when specifics of the role come up at interview as you'll be able to see better how these fit into the organisation/position, while also allowing you to demonstrate genuine interest in the position. If you can, try to find out in advance who will be interviewing you and find out a bit about them from basic internet searches (most people with any degree of seniority or public-facing roles will have public LinkedIn profiles) as again, this may allow you to contextualise things better and built rapport - after all, recruiters will often be doing the same with you!

Also try to find out what type of interview to expect, as the approach can vary dramatically. Apologies if I'm wrong, but this seems to be a fairly junior role, so the questions are more likely to be about behaviours rather than technical skills or experience - but knowing what to expect should help your confidence. Recruiters are typically fairly open about this, so don't be afraid to ask (alternatively, if you're applying via an agency, your contact there should be able to help).

However, bear in mind that you don't want to come across as *too* prepared, so when it comes to preparing answers to potential questions, it's good to have in mind a few scenarios that you can draw on, but not necessarily rehearsing word-for-word what you might say.

Even if you're unsuccessful, remember that the interview can still be a positive experience - if nothing else, you'll now be in a better position to answer questions that come up in future interviews, as there will always be some degree of similarity. Good luck!
I thought you worked for HotUKDeals?
spyro12315/02/2020 09:29

I thought you worked for HotUKDeals?

I really wish I did!
andrewworrall115/02/2020 09:31

I really wish I did!

I honestly thought you did! Maybe HotUKDeals should give you a job....
spyro12315/02/2020 09:44

I honestly thought you did! Maybe HotUKDeals should give you a job....

Make it happen and I'll buy you all the Pepsi Max in the world (none of that other cola soda though...)
Good luck. One question I like being asked to me when I am the interviewer is what makes me stay in the organisation (11 years and counting). Makes it a bit more personal and interesting.
If you think you can get away with it, chew chewing gum.
I’m terrible in test/interview situations, but you old driving instructor said that if you chew gum, your mind concentrates on the chewing and the rest becomes second nature.
Okay so you may not be able to use this during an interview, but maybe up until the point you go in??!!
Best of luck, remember to smile, regardless of where you look, at least you’ll come across friendly! (Interviewers expect you to be nervous!) 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Please update us all and let us know how it goes!

S.xoxo
Thank you again everyone for your lovely helpful comments. My interview was supposed to be today, until I found out after doing some more research the company is selling counterfeit goods and the interviewers have been forcing interviewees to strip and... let's just say... do other things, behind closed locked doors in the "interview room". I'm not mentioning the company name public though as too near my home area. Safe to say I won't be going but I thank everyone for your comments and they will definitely help me prepare for future interviews
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 16th Feb
andrewworrall116/02/2020 09:33

Thank you again everyone for your lovely helpful comments. My interview …Thank you again everyone for your lovely helpful comments. My interview was supposed to be today, until I found out after doing some more research the company is selling counterfeit goods and the interviewers have been forcing interviewees to strip and... let's just say... do other things, behind closed locked doors in the "interview room". I'm not mentioning the company name public thiugh. Safe to say I won't be going but I thank everyone for your comments and they will definitely help me prepare for future interviews

"the interviewers have been forcing interviewees to strip and... let's just say... do other things"

if you truly believe this then you should go to the interview and turn the voice record on your mobile phone on during the interview. if they do ask you to strip and do other things then you have a great bargaining tool for getting compensation from them
andrewworrall116/02/2020 09:33

Thank you again everyone for your lovely helpful comments. My interview …Thank you again everyone for your lovely helpful comments. My interview was supposed to be today, until I found out after doing some more research the company is selling counterfeit goods and the interviewers have been forcing interviewees to strip and... let's just say... do other things, behind closed locked doors in the "interview room". I'm not mentioning the company name public though as too near my home area. Safe to say I won't be going but I thank everyone for your comments and they will definitely help me prepare for future interviews

Why not name the company? Surely any company that adopts these kind of tactics deserves naming and shaming?
aristockle16/02/2020 11:15

Why not name the company? Surely any company that adopts these kind of …Why not name the company? Surely any company that adopts these kind of tactics deserves naming and shaming?

Too near to my home area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants