Expired

Interview at Costco

Found 13th Feb 2013
Got called for an interview at a new Costco store (Southampton) and it's tomorrow. Don't really know much about them, and as it's the only store within miles never been in one or known anyone who has worked for them. Anyone had an interview/worked at any of their UK branches? Tried looking online and scared myself with lots of stories, but they are mostly USA based. Any advice? I am nervous already...
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I shop there a lot. Well the one in Trafford Park. It's a giant warehouse/cash and carry type place. They'll want people who can work in a team but who are bright enough to deal with things on their own too. They have different departments at the one near me like a tyre centre, cafe, deli bit and butchers as well as people driving fork lifts so I would have thought there'd be plenty to get stuck into. Just google some generic interview questions and don't get too stressed about it. Good luck!
I haven't had an interview but use them all the time, Costco is a US brand company which sells bulk items to trade and public.You have to be a member to purchase from them.

They sell there own brand items(Kirkland) as well as the usual brandsm
They sell items from Fruits to Washing machines to clothes to cakes and pizzas. they dabble in most things.

Sorry couldnt help more, good luck
Don't be nervous you'll be fine. I work in the Solent Business Centre opposite (on Millbrook Road West). Good luck.

I can't give any advice on working for them but I have shopped at Costco in the States and was a great experience.
THE STORES ARE ALL SET OUT LIKE A WAREHOUSE. LIKE B&Q ARE FOR EXAMPLE.
STORE EMPLOYEES ARE REQUIRED TO:- OPERATE CHECK OUTS, STACK SHELVES, WORK ON THE RETURNS DESK, OPERATING A P C. MORE EXPERIENCED ONES ALSO ISSUE MEMBERSHIP CARDS.
THEY ARE A GREAT FIRM TO WORK FOR BECAUSE:- THEY TRAIN YOU PROPERLY, THEY ASSESS WHICH AREA YOU WILL BE BEST SUITED TO-DUE TO YOUR PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE (IF YOU HAVE ANY.) IT IS ONLY TO BE EXPECTED THAT YOU WILL BE NERVOUS GOING TO AN INTERVIEW, BUT REMEMBER, THEY KNOW THIS AND THEIR MAIN INTEREST IS IN FILLING THE VACANCY—THEY WANT AN EMPLOYEE- BUT THEY WANT THE BEST APPLICANT.
ARE YOU- KEEN TO LEARN-WILLING TO HELP OTHERS-HAVE YOU A PLEASANT MANNER- HAVE YOU ARRIVED IN SENSIBLE CLOTHING, CLEAN SHOES, TIDY APPEARANCE.
YES THIS IS AN AMERICAN FIRM AND AS SUCH THEY OPERATE IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. THE STAFF ALWAYS SEEM TO BE HELPFUL ( IF YOU ASK THEM ‘HAVE YOU GOT ANY???????’ THEY NEVER SAY’ IF WE HAVE ITS ON THE SHELF! THEY EITHER DIRECT YOU TO THE PRODUCT OR TO THE PERSON WHO OPERATES THE STORES ORDERING? STOCK CONTROL COMPUTER TO VERIFY IF IT IS IN STOCK,OR IF NOT, WHEN IT WILL BE.
RELAX..GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT…YOU MAY WELL BE THE ONE THEY NEED.
IF SO, YOU WILL WORK WITH A GOOD BUNCH OF MATES. GOOD LUCK,
I can't help with what will come up in a Costco interview but you should watch the CNBC doc The Costco Craze as it gives a really good insight into the company and it's values etc. It's from a US perspective but Costco is very similar wherever you are in the world the world. Walking into one in the states last year was like being at home!
cnbc.com/id/…aze

The above link will play show a preview; there are websites (legality questionable) where you can watch the whole thing.
knack

It's from a US perspective but Costco is very similar wherever you are in … It's from a US perspective but Costco is very similar wherever you are in the world the world. Walking into one in the states last year was like being at home!

Yes, this is very true - we went to Hawaii a few years back and the best place to go for groceries/lunch was Costco, as by and large they charged the normal US price for items rather than the Hawaiian super-inflated price (eg loaf of bread $5) present at the supermarkets.

Back on topic - a few ideas - take them or leave them!
Although they've always had a UK website, it only started selling directly via the web back in November 2012, so if they ask any questions about "how could we expand within the UK?" you could bring something up about keeping on developing that customer base, perhaps collect in store etc?

Also they only accept Debit cards or AMEX in store - you could suggest accepting other Credit Cards for a fee in order to capture the business of those making large purchases such as TVs who want to spread the payments.

You could also suggest either a home delivery service from the store for big items, or suggest linking up with local van firms to provide that service "in-house"?

Good luck!
Original Poster
Ok, thanks all. That has given me plenty to read and think about once the kids are in bed! The main thing I am worried about at the moment is what sort of questions they will ask - hopefully no 'sell yourself' questions. I have been out of the workplace for nearly 6 years (young children), and not too confident.
Thanks to you lot I think I will at least sound like I know a bit about the company now tho!
Original Poster
dtemple

Don't be nervous you'll be fine. I work in the Solent Business Centre … Don't be nervous you'll be fine. I work in the Solent Business Centre opposite (on Millbrook Road West). Good luck.I can't give any advice on working for them but I have shopped at Costco in the States and was a great experience.

Will give you a wave as I drive past! lol
How did your interview go?
Original Poster
knack

How did your interview go?

Couldn't you sleep last night? lol
The interview was really informal, the guys interviewing lovely and I would love the job...but it's in sales and membership services, only part-time, problem is for the first couple of months they are going to want 40 hours a week to get member numbers up and I have two young children to juggle. I think I also waffled a bit too much as I do when nervous.

I am hoping if not membership services they willl find something for me as sound like a great company to work for, really look after their staff. I needn't have worried about swotting up as they didn't ask anything like that, but it helped me feel a tad more confident, so thanks anyway!
Pleased for you, fingers crossed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions