Interview at LIDL

Found 27th Jan 2013
Hi everyone, I have an interview with LIDL coming up next week. Can anybody who works there tell me the process I can expect to go through/what kinds of questions they may ask? Google is only giving me results from 2009/10.
Cheers all!
Community Updates
Misc
38 Comments
Whats the wage
Original Poster
Orcinus_orca

Whats the wage

£7p/h. A lot more than the £5 I get now!
no more murders then? I can help with that.
Banned
DON'T MENTION WW2!
Good luck Inspector, How would you bring peace to the Middle East? is a standard supermarket interview question thesedays & while you're there ask them why the checkout staff don't bother helping the customers pack as this would clearly speed up the process & make the place more efficient
Banned
This is always a tough one:

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

So hard to not say "Not working this ****** job.."
Inspector_Cbo

£7p/h. A lot more than the £5 I get now!

Lidl paying more than Morrisons and Asda.....impressed.
KillFelix

This is always a tough one:"Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"So … This is always a tough one:"Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"So hard to not say "Not working this ****** job.."

The whole point of this question is to see if you are worth investing long term. Just say somewhere higher up in the company making decisions that directly increase profits,or something similar.
From what I have seen at Lidl, they certainly dont focus on Customer service like the other big brands, they always wait until the queue is massive before they call for another till to open...

But that is allright as they are much cheaper, I just wish they would get the Apple Pies back..

Can you please ask that, WTF happened to the fresh apple pies
Just turn up and be enthusiastic but with out making the interviewer feel sick.

Lidl employs people who can work rapidly, continuously, without making time-consuming mistakes. Be this, and show yourself to be this, and they will employ you.
results from 2010 will be fine - company hasn't changed anything in about ten years +
business model is like home bargains etc spread but no progress
suggest you enjoy being a slave 24/7
Now O_o knows how much your likely to get paid once you get the job. Buy a chain to keep your wallet in your pocket.
Orcinus_orca

Whats the wage

What does it matter to you?
They seem to like you knowing a little bit about the business, so try to learn something from wiki about them, so you have a bit of background. Then the only other thing is you need to look enthusiastic, willing to do whatever they ask you and smile. None of this firm handshake balls, its 2013.

Also you will find they ask you mini scenarios, like when a certain thing happened, how did you overcome it, or when did you exceed expectations when helping a customer out etc, so be prepared for that.
aircanman

They seem to like you knowing a little bit about the business, so try to … They seem to like you knowing a little bit about the business, so try to learn something from wiki about them, so you have a bit of background. Then the only other thing is you need to look enthusiastic, willing to do whatever they ask you and smile. None of this firm handshake balls, its 2013. Also you will find they ask you mini scenarios, like when a certain thing happened, how did you overcome it, or when did you exceed expectations when helping a customer out etc, so be prepared for that.

If you can give examples of trustworthiness it will go down well. They will probably have you on the tills at some point
earthlling

Lidl paying more than Morrisons and Asda.....impressed.

he will tell you why in a few weeks,if he lasts that long..
It's not £7 an hour..
What are we looking for?
As a motivated team player with a flexible attitude, previous experience is not necessary so long as you are responsible, enthusiastic and can demonstrate excellent customer service skills.

What will we offer you?
Starting on £6.50 per hour (or within the M25 £7.10 per hour) with 30 days holiday pa (including Bank Holidays) plus a contributory pension scheme.

This exciting role offers sweet opportunities.
longbowassassin

he will tell you why in a few weeks,if he lasts that long..

Lidl have long paid more for their staff than the other supermarkets, at the end of the day, they want to give careers to these people, which is the best way to employ in my opinion. If I owned a cafe, I would pay more than minimum wage, and if I couldn't afford to do it, I wouldn't be running it right, I can't expect staff to respect and serve the customers on minimum wage, not because they are bad staff, but I would want them wanting to work there, and possibly move up in the future.
ukmonkey

What are we looking for?As a motivated team player with a flexible … What are we looking for?As a motivated team player with a flexible attitude, previous experience is not necessary so long as you are responsible, enthusiastic and can demonstrate excellent customer service skills.What will we offer you?Starting on £6.50 per hour (or within the M25 £7.10 per hour) with 30 days holiday pa (including Bank Holidays) plus a contributory pension scheme.This exciting role offers sweet opportunities.

OP may live near the M25.
aircanman

Lidl have long paid more for their staff than the other supermarkets, at … Lidl have long paid more for their staff than the other supermarkets, at the end of the day, they want to give careers to these people, which is the best way to employ in my opinion. If I owned a cafe, I would pay more than minimum wage, and if I couldn't afford to do it, I wouldn't be running it right, I can't expect staff to respect and serve the customers on minimum wage, not because they are bad staff, but I would want them wanting to work there, and possibly move up in the future.

If only Dalton Philips thought like you do then Morrisons staff would get a decent wage and not the crappy £6.54 an hour!

But he's quite happy to waste millions on stupid ideas like "store of the future". Moron!
Do the usual...

Research about the company and memorize it... ie wiki...ect.
I thought lidl and aldi employed people on a self employment basis, so the wages look high, but you have to do your own tax etc? or has this changed?
I don't know if this is true or not but i've heard staff at Lidl have to sort their own taxes out, hence why their standard hourly rate seems a lot higher....don't quote me on this, but its what I heard a while back
Good luck. They aren't looking for anything complicated so dress smart, be respectful and you will be fine. All they really want is someone who listens so they know they can train you and someone who can build rapport quickly.

Without sounding like I want an argument, but are you serious in saying that its better working at Lidl than any of the big 4? I work at Sainsbury's and have done since 2010. I was on £6.47 p/h which I know is not a lot but I and my fellow colleagues strive to give the best service I/we can while in that uniform (apart from the numpty that comes in at 10.58 pm because he wants to pay his bills!! when we open at 6.30am and close at 11pm) Anyway I have just just had a promotion at work so I am now a team leader in training on £7.03 p/h still not great, but there is a career within Sainsbury's if you want it and I do!

Lidl is OK for some cheap stuff, I live a 2 minute walk away from Lidl so am in there regularly. The customer service standard in Lidl (my one anyway) is so poor, they have 4 tills and 3 of them are always full of boxes rubbish promotional stuff etc yet they have a queue time of up to 15 minutes and no one ever jumps on one of the spare tills. When you do get to the cashier there is no apology for your wait just a grunt and the look on their faces 'why do I do this' 'please go away and don't come back'.

Edited by: "chrisdwiliams" 28th Jan 2013
chrisdwiliams

Without sounding like I want an argument, but are you serious in saying … Without sounding like I want an argument, but are you serious in saying that its better working at Lidl than any of the big 4? I work at Sainsburys and have done since 2010. I was on £6.47 p/h which I know is not alot but I and my fellow colleagues strive to give the best service I/we can while in that uniform (apart from the numpty that comes in at 10.58 pm cos he wants to pay his bills!! when we open at 6.30am and close at 11pm) Anyway I have just just had a promotion at work so I am now a team leader in training on £7.03 p/h still not great, but there is a career within Sainsbury's if you want it and I do! Lidl is ok for some cheap stuff, I live a 2 minute walk away from Lidl so am in there regularly. The customer service standard in Lidl (my one anyway) is so poor, they have 4 tills and 3 of them are always full of boxes rubbish promotional stuff etc yet they have a queue time of upto 15 minutes and no one ever jumps on one of the spare tills. When you do get to the cashier there is no apology for your wait just a grunt and the look on their faces 'why so I do this' 'please go away and dont come back'.

the staff in lidl and aldi actually work for their money in general.
they pay 20% more as they do more work than any of the 3-4 tesco/asda/whatever staff that stand at the corner of the aisle chatting.
ratio of wages:work done in those stores is much higher than lidl/aldi
I see your point about more work, I.e every time I'm in there's always someone pulling a pallet truck rearranging etc etc but at the same time shopping is a customer service experience and in mine in what I have seen my local don't really care, and as I work in a Sainsbury's local I do everything not just departmental work, but my point is whether you are on minimum wage or £30 p/h you as an employee must give the highest customer service standards possible (leave your problems at the door and pick them back up on the way back)

Edited by: "chrisdwiliams" 28th Jan 2013
aircanman

Lidl have long paid more for their staff than the other supermarkets, at … Lidl have long paid more for their staff than the other supermarkets, at the end of the day, they want to give careers to these people, which is the best way to employ in my opinion. If I owned a cafe, I would pay more than minimum wage, and if I couldn't afford to do it, I wouldn't be running it right, I can't expect staff to respect and serve the customers on minimum wage, not because they are bad staff, but I would want them wanting to work there, and possibly move up in the future.

do you have an experience with Lidl?
Im a manager at Lidl and all they are really looking for is that you are Hard Working and can work as part of a Team as well as on your own. The interview is not hard and after that you will have a work trial for about 2 hours to see how you get on with the job(work trial will be on another day and not same day as interview) They are a good company to work for good wages and career prospects. I started as Store Assistant 3 years ago and now am Deputy Manager
Edited by: "michaelanderson" 27th Jan 2013
michaelanderson

Im a manager at Lidl and all they are really looking for is that you are … Im a manager at Lidl and all they are really looking for is that you are Hard Working and can work as part of a Team as well as on your own. The interview is not hard and after that you will have a work trial for about 2 hours to see how you get on with the job(work trial will be on another day and not same day as interview) They are a good company to work for good wages and career prospects. I started as Store Assistant 3 years ago and now am Deputy Manager

Have you noticed a high turnover of store managers/staff?
longbowassassin

Have you noticed a high turnover of store managers/staff?

Not really that high in my store or any store on our district really, not had many people leave really
michaelanderson

Not really that high in my store or any store on our district really, not … Not really that high in my store or any store on our district really, not had many people leave really

I'm currently at aldi was considering moving was just wondering what the hours are like for managers as i'm currently on around 22k a year as a deputy manager here and doing 40hours a week
Deputy manager at lidl starts at 21k
Got a sneeky feeling the interview may have passed by now...
Stubbarama

Got a sneeky feeling the interview may have passed by now...

No one ever updates these threads though do they...

I'm left to ponder whether they got the job all afternoon now!
Its not like we even knew the LIDL branch so we could check :-)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions